Duct Sizing for Light Ventilation

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by MedicineMan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan New Member

This diagram shows how my sealed room is arranged.

[​IMG]

The blue arrows show how I have laid out the ducting for the air that will cool my two air cooled hoods (one for veg and one for flower). My plan is to use a 6" vortex fan with 6" insulated ducting throughout. The fan would pull air through the floor of my room then split that air flow into 2 separate 6" ducts that cool the two hoods. After the the cooling air leaves the hoods, the two ducts will merge together with a wye connector prior to the fan. I really want to stick with one fan for this.

Is my ducting sized appropriately? I am concerned about the airflow being unbalanced between the two lights. My gut tells me that I should be using 4" ducting for the lights where they combine into a 6" duct at the fan.

What do you think GK?

2. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

The bigger the better air flow, 6" is good. I used a 6" line for a 600w and a 400 w light in a rather small walk in closet with no problems, but thats where your exaust fan is your best friend. What size exaust fan you using?

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan New Member

I am using a vortex powerfan 6" (this one). Would you be concerned that the air flow would be uneven between the two lights if I stick with the 6" ducting? This is for a sealed room setup, so the intake is passive and the ducts run from the intake, to the lights, then out the wall with the fan on the outside of the room.

4. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

If possible use the hard duct lines, with that long of a line the stuff from the hydro store slows the flow a lot.
    Also for the trunk 8" with a reducer for the fan would be best.

5. MedicineMan

MedicineMan New Member

Thanks greenjah, why should I use the 8" for the trunk line? Is it to help equalize the vacuum on both light ducts?

6. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

What's up folks!! First post in quite a while. Greenjah,s got a great point, the bigger line would create less resistance and smoother air flow. His advice on the solid duct is spot on as well, far less resistance with a smooth interior surface in the duct. Also try to keep the angle down at the connections, the air flow will be better with 45 degree compared to 90. Looking at your diagram, you've probably already thought about that!! Keep the air flowing, it can make all the difference. Good luck!!
    Be Cool, CG

MedicineMan likes this.
  7. MedicineMan

MedicineMan New Member

8. Justcheckingitout

I meant whats the CFM (cubic feet per min) of the exaust fan?

9. MedicineMan

MedicineMan New Member

452 CFM

10. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

The 425 should work fine. I Would run the system for 24 hrs like you have plants in there to see what your max temps run in the room.

11. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

man i hate to be that guy, but what are room temps like before all that? you're going to have a small issue with a 6 inch cooling that much unless youre in decent climate. It can totally be done, but if you plan on adding a scrubber i would totally recommend you use in line scrubber vs a can. at least that way you don't lose air but i would run it 24/7 to help.

unless you have amps available for air, then throw a portable ac unit in there and you're golden

12. Mrgreengenes

Nippie makes a good point. I have ac to my grow room, and run a 400 and a 600 I added a ac vent to my central air.
    I also exhaust into a sewer line. All my stink goes out the sewer line.
    If your running a carbon filter your going to need a bigger exhaust fan.

13. nippie

btw, is this a future plan or what you plan on running right now? if future, you don't evven have issues, start with the 600w and dont turn on the 1k yet, you don't need it and you'll save money, 600 will be plenty for first grow (man i love 600s but don't use them nearly as much anymore. better light footprint and you can get 2 per standard circuit vs 1k...anyways that's digressing

what equipment do you have currently?

14. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

If you go the portable AC route, figure on a dehumidifier too. Then add CO2 to your sealed room.

The drawings seem to only show fan cooling air. If you don't use a sealed room, you'll need a source of fresh air, an exhaust fan and a carbon filter. This can work in the right climate, but you'll be at the mercy of the weather.

15. Mrgreengenes

I guess I had a brain fart. I just saw the 1000 watt bulb in the room. Nippie I'm glad you noticed.

16. nippie

buy the better ac unit and drain that girl to the floor drain somewhere so you can run it 24/7 and it acts like both ac and dehumidifier, they're not that expensive, prob 500 or so depending on what you btus you need but i've done this and it stops the threat of mold also for the most part...lots of fans going also. then you can push that striaght into your man exhaust duct

make sure your electric can handle that first!!!!!! how many amps do you have available??

17. nippie

i usually use a 6 inch per 1k.

Ive had 3 600s on a a 6inch before but it wasn't the best, summer was fine because cold ac from house was pumping in, and winter i'd shut all heat off so no issues, but spring and fall were bad, fluffy bud from heat issues. wasn't even worth the time and effort to push it

18. Justcheckingitout

Yeah, check the temps with the set up you got, you can go from there.

19. MedicineMan

MedicineMan New Member

Wow, I really appreciate the feedback guys! You are making some good points. I did not give you all of the details about the room to try to simplify things but I realize now that you need this info…so here goes. There are seedlings in the room now (and they are starting to smell delicious). They will be heading into veg (600 W HID) in the next few days, so I need to get this ducting situation sorted out soon. J

I live in Virginia, where the summer temps and humidity are too high to grow without A/C. I built this room in a corner of my detached garage with the intention of running it as a sealed environment during the hot months (May – September) and as an open environment during the rest of the year when humidity and temps are lower. The design that I provided before is for Sealed Operation. In this setup, air is pulled through the floor of the room > through the lights > then out of the room > and into a fan with a duct silencer on the exhaust. During sealed operation, there is a portable AC with dual exhaust. I don’t have a tank yet, but I am planning to put run with CO2 when sealed. I still want to run the fan through the lights to keep the temps down even with the AC because the AC is 1,000 Watts and the fan is much more affordable.

I was running the 600W for a couple of days (when it was 85 degrees) outside and the room temps got over 90 degrees really fast.

For the Open Room Setup:

The ducting inside the room (that cools the lights) is disconnected from the floor intake and attached to a carbon filter. The floor air intake is now open to the room and provides passive airflow into the space. Air is continually exhausted from the room through the carbon filter with no other changes to the ducting. So the air flow goes like this: Can Filter > through the lights > out of the room > into the fan > exhausted through duct silencer.

I currently have 2 20Amp circuits dedicated to the room (one for lights and one for outlets). I can add another one if needed.

It sounds like I will need to upgrade my fan from 6” to 8” to be safe. With this new information, would you change anything? Do you agree that I need a bigger fan?

20. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Lots of good feedback:suave:

Yeah, skip the 1000w. A 600 is going to be a better fit for the room and easier to control the temps. It's more efficient too.

I think Greenjah's suggestion of an 8" trunk was to equalize airflow by using it as a plenum. In my experience a 6" fan is the bare minimum for 1000w-1200w of HID lighting. Remember, flex duct, turns, filters, length of duct, silencers all restrict airflow. Overkill is better on exhaust than on lighting. Once you're running more than 600w in a small garden heat becomes a bigger problem than light intensity.

AC. How many BTU's is the portable? You're going to need 6000 btu's to cool a 1000w closed system and 8000 btu's for a 1400w closed system.

Hope it helps. cheers,