DWC or RDWC questions......bring em here!?!?!!!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by CCrete, Dec 7, 2010.

1. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

I know A LOT of people are scared of hydro, i was too

I think its the measurements of nutes, ppm, PH, feeding needs, blah blah blah that gets people so nervous aaand I completely understand, i went thru it as well

BUT

Its honestly simple as 1-2-3 a-b-c...

By NO means am i any kinda guru or genius at hydro or DWC.....but its been my primary grow method for a while now and I've done nothing but DWC and RDWC builds for well over 2 years, with amazing results!

It took me from a 1oz plant in soil to a 4,5,6 oz plant and it cut my overall growing time from well over 100 days from clone planted to under 90, so now i can get another harvest or 2 in every year

So, please....any questions...ask way, i'll do my best and im guna need help soo...all the REAL guru' chime in

2. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

Ok CC

I got lured by SteelCity's post, and since I'm moving locations next grow, I'm thinking about a hydro method.

DankVapor did a hempy DWC hybrid, where he put an airstone in each bucket and raised the height of the drain hole, but other than that it's a passive system.

http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34674

I'm considering something like that because I don't have ANY space to put a bigass 55 gallon bucket full of water. It's a space barely bigger than my shed grow, and I want to maximize my yield as much as I can, you dig?

So, what do you think about that type of setup? DV never did finish his post, but from the beginning, it looked pretty pimp, and aerating the water vs. stagnant makes sense, and not too hard.....

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

3. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Im hot for this idea, too. What I dont get is, why put a hold an inch below the float line? I mean...what purpose does the hole serve? Also, it sounds like the water level is way UP there...does this mean the roots are literally hanging into the water/nute solution all the time? In a regular Hempy, the water/nute level is down at the bottom...Do you just add water/nutes thru the whole grow or do you empty the whole thing out and clean it once a week or twice a month...or what?

How about temp? I gorw in my garage and the room temp is around 67 in the winter. Would that be ok, or would I need to put a heat mat under the bucket? What about summer?

Interestingly, Ive been thinking of just such a hempy/hydro mix for a couple weeks now, but I was thinking of using a Walmart storage box, one of those deep plastic tubs with a lid. Unless I can get a minimum of nine plants in it, I aint interested. However, three rows of three holes in the container lid woulds OK to me.

The advantage, over a regular hydro (it seems to me, having NO experience with hydro) would be...well, because of the perlite, you'd use much less nutes due to displacement. Maybe that sounds stupid....but having done only Hempy SOGS, Im used to measuring out three Tbs. of ProGrow, not three or four CUPS, for god's sake. I mean...you guys with huge hydro systems...how much do you spend on nutes? How many gallons do you go thru in a grow? Ive been growing a year and ahalf and am now on my third gal. of ProGrow!

I do have a pump and five airstones....

Anyway....it would seem that the perlite would displace a huge amount of water/nutes.... Or, maybe Im talking out of my ass.

Dixie

4. CCrete

Not takin a shot at Dank but...

With anything HYBRID type, it has kinks and unresolved issues i'd bet

The ressy is a largely unexplained topic

A ressy is anything that holds the liquid solution, such as a 5 gal bucket that you specifically grow in .....then theres a separate ressy....such as the 55 gal drum you talk of, or whatever size you need

You should just need a 5 gal bucket (lowes has the best ones).......go to wal mart or your local hydro store, get a good airpump and airstones.

In a DWC setup....all you need is a container 5gal bucket, 3 gal, 20 gal tote etc..size is up to you, your space givin and the size of a plant you want to grow....a decent airstone....more bubbles the better....and a GOOD pump, a good pump is key IMO!

I personally use these :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sometimes these if my shop is out, not preferred tho, they fall apart after one run

[​IMG]

I take a drill and drill a hole big enough for the airline to go thru, as close to the top of the container as possible, feed it thru, connect to airstone and then its easy to lift the lid to replace solution of do maintainence

Good hint is to buy a few extra buckets, so you can lift up the netpot lid AND entire plant at once, and drop it into the empty bucket, while your doing your work......DO NOT WORRY about the plant sitting in air, just dont leave it there for hours on end....those are not lungs, they're roots! lol

5. CCrete

DIX, your posts are sooooooooooooooooooo long, LOL

ill try and decipher

ok......firstly HEMPY is hempy......DWC is hydro......take anything you know or think of hempy and throw it out the window, 2 completely differant topics.....similiar but differant.....and the water level is based on the idea of "wicking"....the perlite retains a tiny amount of moisture which the plant drinks from by the perlite "wicking" moisture up from the bottom area

Soooooo

take your bucket and drill a hole large enough for the airline to go into, run the airline and put in airstone

Take your bucket of clean fresh water......take your netpot bucket lid and place on top of bucket.......you want your water level JUUUUUST BELOW the BOTTOM of the NETPOT......say a half inch or so

.....you place your ROOTED clone (clone is best, seed is still possible) in your NETPOT BUCKET LID........let some of the roots hang from the bottom of the netpot, so they're (like your saying) HANGING in mid-air, just dangling there......ok now surround that with your hydroton (clay balls) to make it stable

.....Go by the USELESS formula and add your nutes per the instructions per gallon of GH 3part......you should be mixing for approx. 4 gal of liquid at this point when the netpot lid and clone are in the lid correctly....

....ok....now the fun part! You should be mixed, clone transplanted into lid, airpump in place, airstone in place......AND TA-DA! You just did a DWC bucket! Simple huh?

As far as temps go....ANYONE who can keep the bucket on CONCRETE has a large advantage over a wood floor, it keeps temps more stable......wood floor people dont be scared! Its BEST to be able to keep the temps under 72 and above 63 but the 68 or so mark is where you WANT to be. The temps are something that is only a guideline for people to discuss, its far too hard to understand everyones heat/cold issues and how to remedy them all....but you DIX should be fine

AND, you MUST CHANGE OUT THE SOLUTION ONCE A WEEK to have consistant success and consistant results that you can count on time after time!

And if your looking for a DIY on a large tote tub type grow, look thru my threads, i made exactly what your talkin bout

Here dix

http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38376

6. greenthumbwhitethumb

sooooo...... you have to dump your entire bucket full of water under each plant every week? remix nutes every week?

GTWT

7. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

thats correct change every week. On my ebb and flow 50 gallons a week x 12 weeks = 600 gallons of nutes on 10 tubs.

Teamster6

8. greenthumbwhitethumb

I think Dix asked this question, how much nute solution do you go through, then? If you're constantly changing out water and adding new stuff, wouldn't that really suck up your nutes? There's no hydro store up here, which means I'd have to order it online, and shipping liquids gets really $$$$!!!!!

(compared to soil - I used maybe 1/8 each of my 1 qt alsaka nute bottles for my last grow, with 10 plants..... that's maybe $3-4 total?)

GTWT

9. CCrete

Yes...its like changing the oil in your car every 3000 miles, it keeps everything efficent and sound

its a one shot thing too......have a bucket of all ready mixed solution sitting and waiting.....so all you have to do is pick up the plant and drop it into the new bucket

How would you like to do all your gardening in ONE day instead of spending hours DAILY watering? Only thing to do is check the water level and check PH....you'll get your own groove goin in no time

10. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Its not that bad really. useing the gh 3 part series I order the bottles in 1 gallon size just about every grow. I use it on the clones besides the grow and usually I dont use much more than that. With the shipping its around 100 bucks. On a three pound grow that like 33 bucks a pound for nutes pretty cheap.

Teamster6

11. CCrete

I suppose thats your only curveball then....shipping sucks!

I buy the 2.5gal and 6 gal containers of GH 3part and its local, sorry

I know its around $100 for the gallon jugs of all 3 parts......i think you can get the litre bottles for around 10-15 each

Where do you live? Get ahold of General Hydroponics = GH and see where the closest distrubitor is, you may be suprised

12. greenthumbwhitethumb

Ok, so the size of my space is about 3x7 feet, giving myself a little room to squeeze in there (good thing I'm skinny....) I guesstimate I can fit 15 5 gal buckets if I'm lucky.....

I'm trying to figure out what my setup will look like, and what I have room for..... I've got a 5 gal, dark bucket with my perlite/lava in it, and a airstone? in it. Where's the hole? What's underneath?

where do I have this bucket to switch out???

sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out what's feasible for my space. plus, you asked for it! ;)

GTWT

13. CCrete

ok well 15 may be a good bit too much...id say maybe 6 would fit nice.....what kinda light you got?

[​IMG]

Remember this is NOT soil, your little soil lady is now takin a back seat, you need space to spread em out (like in the bed)

Wheres what hole? The only hole you will need to be in the bucket is at the TOP of the bucket, not the top of the lid, THE BUCKET!....you just need a tiny hole to get the AIRLINE thru for your airstone.......the airstone remains at the bottom of the bucket forever, so it cascades the bubbles all over

Underneath what? The floor is underneath your bucket, concrete or wood i'd imagine! lol

And when i mention a spare bucket, i mean to have beside you when your changing out and emptying the solution.......its so you have somewhere to put the plant...while your changing things out.............OR Do you want to hold onto it all night long? Me personally, id like to set it down:alienwink:

14. greenthumbwhitethumb

LOL, I do like to hold onto buckets, ya know? Secret pasttime....

I have 2 600W HPS I will be setting up in there. (i'm basically combining my two tents) I have another smaller space for veg & moms, so that's not an issue. I didn't think that DWC/hydro would make my plants THAT much bigger than what I did with soil. I had 5-6 in my 3x3 tent, this is 6 weeks into flower, jogging style....(they were pretty friggin big at the end, but my airhead BF forgot to take a pic!)

[​IMG]

the reason i asked what was under the bucket is because i had originially started looking at hempy, and there's some sort of catch pan underneath (i know how you LOVE plates and dishes under plant pots!!!! :roffl: )

so you fill 'er up with H2O and nutes, let it sit for a week, then change it all out?

i ask about the "spare" buckets because my grow is going to be stealth built into my new master BR downstairs, in the closet. nice pretty closet, pop, behind the wall, and there you are. I've got a water and drain in the room, but i was wanting to hook up my exhaust to the drain, like MrGJ does, so I don't have to exhaust out of my house, or even hook up my filters....

GTWT

15. CCrete

I compare the growth rate to say.....hydro is the space shuttle taking off aaaand soil is one of them pump up rockets that go up 10 feet and drop then break

Seriously, once the roots get a hold of the nute solution and start eating.......you'll use soil to piss in and let the dog shit in it

I cannot stress enough how FAST and large DWC and RDWC plants grow

its unbelieveable, thats why you cant believe it :rofl:

And its not that they get BIGGER than a soil plant, its that they get bigger, faster ....like it takes a soil plant to get 3 ft tall say 2 months?.....a DWC plant is 3 ft tall in 3/4 weeks and a RDWC plant is unreal!

16. coconuthead

coconuthead Begun Flowering

Hey CC, what would the Pros and Cons of a DWC/RDWC system be as opposed to say EnF?

17. CCrete

I personally believe that RDWC is far more agressive in growth, while DWC builds a larger base/stalk IME, which seems to grow a more stout/shorter plant in the same amount of time, DWC is less agressive while still doing the same

I've never run an Ebb n flow, so i cannot say for 100% sure....I do know that EnF is under more control via the system and feeding is also more limited, but then again the EnF makes a plant WANT to eat more agressively when the food is introduced

18. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

I'll second everything CC is saying.

I just built my hydro room....well putting the finishing touches on it. 240V circuits, one more exhaust and the co2 regulator and tank.

the design with the air stones and Useless's formula is great. I would never go back.

I currently have 6 totes I change out, each with 6 plants in it. I started them about a little over a yr and it now takes me about 40 minutes to change all the totes res. My back is now taking a break :alienwink: and I wanted something a bit less strenuous all the while cutting my plant number in half and getting double the yield.

It takes some money but what doesn't now a days?

19. The Occultivationist

The Occultivationist Veggy Stage

Water Level?

Does it make a diffrence if the water level touches the bottom of the pot or not in DWC? ive heard its better to have the water just touch the bottom of the pot, and also heard its better to have a small gap of an inch or two between them. Im not new to DWC, but when i try to see a diffrence, i just cant.

20. CCrete

the differance is NONE, IMO/IME

It all relates to whether or not your clones ROOTS are able to reach the food (water) or not, if they are able to and are dangling down a bit, i always add less water, if the clone has smaller roots than id like, then that is when id have my water level up higher to reach the roots

hope that helps