DWC or RDWC questions......bring em here!?!?!!!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by CCrete, Dec 7, 2010.

1. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

I have a constant feed, no dripping......I could spray my feed like a garden hose.

I have 3 holes in my buckets, 1 at bottom to drain, 2 up top....one for the airline to the airpuck and the same type of line in a hole next to it, feeding water to the bucket

I put my buckets up on bricks......it keeps the flow goin.....use a level man, start high on one end and lower as you go.....all the way to the control tub.....that way you unplug the pump......put in your siphon pump to get the water OUT.....and as it pump, its emptying the entire system VIA gravity.........then you fill er back up to operating levels

2. coconuthead

coconuthead Begun Flowering

There should only be three holes in each bucket. One is a supply line for your airstone. The nutes are pumped in from a feed line in the side of the bucket. Lastly you have a drain hole at the bottom. The buckets are slightly elevated to aid in draining and returning the solution back to control bucket/ressy. Gravity will naturally cause the solution to return to the ressy, the pump will also help draw the water back as well. I'm sure you could easily incorporate a top drip mechanism into this system.

Nevermind. CC beat me to the punch.:thumbs-up:

3. CCrete

I also run a much larger pump than is needed, i could use a 4-600gph, it would do great but i go 1200 instead for the added flow, seems to do dandy

4. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

Ya know none of the sillyass tutorials on youtube or anywhere else I looked mentioned elevating the buckets. Do I have to put them all at the same height? If not, how much lower should each subsequent bucket be from the initial elevated bucket (which is the bucket(s) on the end Im guessing)?

Damn. Sorry so many questions. Its just the way I learn is by having to understand how governing principles work.

5. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Scotty, I'm no expert, but I would guess that you would go lower as you get closer to your res. What I'm getting out of this would be, just for an example, say your doing 6 buckets. The 2 furthest away put on 3 2x4s stacked on top of each other. The middle two on 2 2x4s stacked on top of each other. The closest 2 to the res, 1 2x4. Now that would all be above your level of the res and gravity would force it to flow to the res. Like taking one step down each level to the res. You could try an experiment: take two buckets connected together with a hose. Fill past where ever you put the hose in. Lift one bucket up higher than the other. The water will flow into the lower bucket on it's own to maintain a water level to each bucket. That's where your gravity flow takes effect.

Or I could just be stoned and don't know what the hell I'm doing.:passsit: :roffl:

6. coconuthead

coconuthead Begun Flowering

7. ScottyG420

Thanks guys! This helps.:thumbs-up:

8. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

I use 2x6 boards the length of the bucket row the buckets are all the same level but up higher than the res so gravity will do the rest. When chris says bottom of the bucket he means on the side just an inch or so up from the bottom of the bucket so the fitting can seat right on the wall. THe fitting in question is called a tub outlet or EnF outlet. I use 3/4" with ofcourse 3/4" hose. I do not use house clamps but just push the hose on and wipe it with silicon. In fact I hit all the fittings with some silicon just in case. But I am a little hood sometimes...Steelcity

9. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

This type of system is also good if the power goes out. Everything just stays in the buckets, there is nothing draining back to the control bucket that could spill over.

I am thinking of a way to prevent this draining back thing on my MPB style buckets. I have a check valve but I did a test and it must leak cause it slowly rose up to the top.

Always think safety when playing with water and electricity. :thumbs-up:

I am so fucken drunk, what the fucke am I talking about?

10. ScottyG420

damn. I knew I should have taken physics.

11. CCrete

No your attention span sucks, lol...

Print out ALL of the photos from the link of the BLAZEONEUP tutorial and make a parts list, keep em by you when your sitting around and keep looking at them, youll get it

Remember the rules of a plumber : shit flows down hill and dont bite your nails!

12. ScottyG420

that's so pathetically true. doesn't marij

13. ScottyG420

Ok so I'm putting this exec together.

Since each bucket will be higher/lower than the buckets next it, I'm thinking im gonna have to use some sort of flexible tubing to connect the buckets for the return lines. What should I use here for this?

14. CCrete

ya, try not to use hard pipe.........get 50ft of 3/4inch hydrofarm line, its soft and flexible.......or if you can find the same 3/4 near you, do that.....DO NOT USE CLEAR!!!!!!!!! Well, unless you take the time to wrap it in black duct tape

15. ScottyG420

Cool deal brah! Thanks again Chris!

16. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

cc or anyone else.

was thinking about dwc for the next grow. only a 600, so i'm thinking 4 5 gal. my biggest concern is water temps. everything else seems easy enough, what can be done about temps short of water chiller?

I've seen frozen bottles of water but really not into the ghetto methods, want something reliable and proven. also, GH makes a water farm kit, would it be best to buy this or peice it together?

The only thing that impresses me is cutting veg time. I dont see how you can cut flower but cutting veg is the most important imo. I'm just worried about making the switch and running into problems with water temps. I think with my haccp background I can handle most of the bacterias that come along with a system like that.

17. CCrete

Remember a simple 1/4th inch is what you want in differance......dont make it like stadium seating or anything crazy

18. ScottyG420

hahah. Im happy b/c I actually get the joke!

19. CCrete

Keep the buckets on concrete if possible, wrap the buckets in reflective material (for obvious reasons), also

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=211387&highlight=diy+chiller

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=42428

ROFL........https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=33123......or ya can get REAL nifty

Good luck Nips!

20. CCrete

ROFL......bucket 1, section 12 row X........bucket 2, section 15, row j :rofl6: