DWC questions

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by nippie, Aug 3, 2011.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Alright trying my hand again at DWC, last time years ago total failure.

Questions..

Do I really need a check valve or tube on the side to check water levels?

If room temp 72-78 do I need a chiller (78 is with lights on and forgetting to turn on vents which happens often lol)

How do I manage my ph?

How would you stake flowering limbs?

Would 5 gal be preferred over 3.5? Benifits and draws of each

What size air pump would I need? (is there a formula to follow, looking for 4 plants was wondering if I can get one big pump, or 4 small ones)

What happens if you lose power?

How often do you check PPMS on the system, and if low, how do you decide what to add?

Thanks in advance, buying what I need tomorrow and don't wanna ask a bunch of questions at hydro store

2. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I'm fairly new at DWC but this is how I have done it so far. I've harvested about 15 plants so far with the onl;y problem being a slight burn on the tips of the leaves. I'm sure there are others that can give you a better lowdown, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

nippie likes this.
  3. nippie

What's 24 hour flush? do you run 6 days nute, 1 ph'd water?

Also, what about h2o2? Do you need it?

Lucas vs Useless, does it matter in DWC?

was considering buying 8 (5 gal) buckets that way I always have 1 set of clean to switch to during water changes, is this a dumb idea?

How bad is Ph flux? Do I just set it at 5.6 when make nutes and pray for the best?

Thanks

4. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Your welcome. I'm just answering the same questions I asked about 6 months ago (or a little longer. Time has been standing still for me)

5. nippie

So basically I just need to buy the buckets, drill for airline, and presto, everythings good?

I plan on buying the premade lids with net cups, do you have suggestion on size??

Also, should I just pick air pump at hydro store, or just go to pet store for that? What size pump is needed per bucket or for four total?? As far as airstones, aquaruim grade good enough, or should I buy those puck looking ones (and how often do you change them)

I'm really wondering about PH though, it fucked me last time, different set of nutes though, maybe GH holds better throughout the week.

Lvs, what did you run before hand? Is there any increase in yeild switching from hempy?

I know CC runs a RDWC, and I was considering that, but wanna dip my toe in the water before I cannonball in.

HaHa, I think I may have set a record for most questions asked in one day!!

6. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Nope.

:roffl:

7. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

nippie, here's what I got:

commercial pump. I got the 2nd largest.

[​IMG]

You can see the manifolds in the picture:

[​IMG]

And the net pots I use are the smaller inside diameter ones. The net pots fit right on a 5 gallon bucket. You can see the larger rim. Uses less medium.

[​IMG]

Any other question that I can answer for you, I will. I'm no expert tho, but I'll try.

virago420 likes this.
  8. nippie

Think I have a good idea of what I'm doing..

How loud is that air pump?

Also, any tips on transplanting hempy to DWC?

Going to do a normal transplant I guess and try to some of the perlite off, but my plan is just to skim any out of the water for a week or two

9. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

That will be a pain in the ass. It probably won't get down to the water, it will get stuck in the net pot. I'm not sure it would matter or not since perlite isn't soil.

10. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

tomato cages

Take a tomato cage cut the long take the long legs that stick in your soil cut them off at about 2 inches long sticking below the first hoop. Drill holes accordingly around the net pot lid. insert the tomato cages in the whole she just drilled bend over the wire so that way you can pick up the lid with the tomato cage attached it worked great in my water farm when I wake up and start feeling better after being sick I'll go out into the shop take a picture of 1 of the tomato cage lids I'll put it in my gallery maybe some body can post a link later

11. nippie

Thanks for the tip MtK

I just got back and got what I need.

I was worried about air stones, but they showed me the ones they use and highly recommended them. It's the round cyl type, they said the pucks are overrated and foul more often and actually produce less air in their testing.

I'll try to get some pix up soon, and keep posted.

By all means, if you see something wrong, please point it out!!

Thanks

12. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

Hey there LSB- My hydro store carries these kinds of pumps, so I can get one if need be. How many buckets are you running with your pump?

:passsit:

13. nippie

I just picked up sda530 (sunleaves)

18w 600 gal/hr

4 buckets, store said I could smaller, but it was only $10 more and constructed much better

14. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

In one area I'm running 8 and the other 9. Same amout of bubbles(a lot!!!) If I got a larger air manifold I could probably do about 12. Maybe. And the pump wasn't too much more than the smaller ones and A LOT cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot or a fish place.

15. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

Thanks fOr the info. I run dual outlet aquarium pumps to each of my buckets.

I use 2 airstones in each bucket. Usually 4 or 6 inch airstones. Makes the water look like it's boiling.

16. nippie

Alright just checked buckets

ph at 6.4, was 5.8 yesterday.

Do I just ph it down again or does it even out?

How long can it run it 6.4 till I have to do something

why is it changing so rapidily?

17. nippie

alright just started dropping PH.

going .1 an hour til back down to 5.8ish, hopefully that's the right thing to do. Plants look very good even though ph was so high.

PPM 780ish for all of them.

Atleast every bucket was same ph and ppm

18. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I don't check or adjust my nute solution for ph. Haven't had any problems. I just adjust the 24 hr flush. And I don't check ppms either.

19. nippie

well my meter was off by .2 I think that was most of the problem.

but you don't do any maint. to head of pyth??

Thanks for the help again, girls love their new home!!

Can't wait to throw under HPS

20. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

When I change over from nutes to water, I run hot water into the buckets and clean them and the airator good. Other than that, no other maintenance. CCrete goes WAY beyond that, but my buckets are clean.