DWC questions

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by nippie, Aug 3, 2011.

1. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

Strange. If I remember correctly you have hard water with a high starting PPM. Apparently its the plants using up what nutes are in the water causing it to go up.

Ive got GREAT water here with a starting PPM of >25 so I dont deal with the same issue. Interesting.

Thats exactly whats supposed to happen after the buffers in the GH nutes work. :thumbs-up:

You guys will get a system figured out perfectly after a while. Its trial and error. Ive been growing for a spell and have recently been dealing with pH issues myself due to a faulty/uncalibrated pH meter. New one will be here in two days, cant wait! Make sure and check your meter against a calibration solution every so often! My original hanna is probably fine but out of calibration....and I didnt have any solution so I ordered a new hanna that came with it to solve all my nightmares. pH is everything. Until you get it figured out you will do alot of head pounding :BangHead:.

2. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

My head still hurts.

3. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Temps

Alright temps starting to be an issue..

Running about 78 can add ice packs or frozen bottled water and bring them to 70-72. That only last for a few hours until needs to be switched out for a new batch of frozen this or that. I have found that the ice packs last alot longer (non toxic leak proof, for baby formula) but worried that this is not going to work in the long term, spec once they get throw under HPS even though lines are long enough to keep ressy out of temps.

Also still having ph issues, not bad but 6.1, when I knock them down to 5.8 they drift right back to 6.1. PPM's are a little high about 1080.

The plants look awesome, they are liter double the size of hempy clones (still short, but bushy as all hell).

Once last thing, advice from you guys on switching ressy water! I know you guys have prob ran into an issue or two over the years, any tips to make the water change go easy? And Can I wipe the inside of the buckets down with something while water drained, and should I fuck with cleaning air stones?

4. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

WHat I have one of my control buckets is a valve that I can turn to drain the whole system. 20min later I take the shop vac and clean the rest. If slime is present than I clean with a rag and straight water than vac that shit up. :thumbs-up:

On temps; I would get a chiller....larger than needed so it is not on all day. I tried the ice thing and it sucks BUT does the thing if you had no job and did the change out all day. Fuck that!

My PH fluctuates also.....I just wait a half a day than play with it. You'll get dialed in and that my brother is the key.....dialed in.

5. nippie

What size chiller? Everything I've looked at is for ressy 250 gals and up and require bigger pump to push through system.

I've seen some aqaur chillers, but have yet to read anyone using one of these for DWC

6. blah blah boy

I use 1/2 hp one for the 18 bucket system cause the system is elevated and gets hotter. I run a 900gph on her.

Got to keep temps down consistent.

7. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

i think im on the road to chillerville myself.....why not if it helps right

8. nippie

Seems like every chiller I've looked at is over kill.

Am i missing something? How big would I want for 25+ gal?

Do I really need something that is going to do hundreds an hour?? Just asking because I really don't know (need a hand hold on this grow, lol).

Really can tell the difference between hempy and this in growth.

9. blah blah boy

I have mine set for 69F so the actual water temp in the buckets are around 72. It pops on every 7 mins for about 2 mins. That is a 1/2hp. If I would of bought a smaller one it would of taken a lot longer to cool 75 gals so it would of been on 3-4 times longer which means more energy and more of a light bill.

I do not run a chiller on the other 2, the concrete does the job pretty well.

I think with a 25 gal system you'd be able to get away with a 1/4 hp but that is IMO.

10. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Id go with a 1/2 hp cuz we ALL know, its only gets BIGGER when you find the speed and success that hydro gives and at the cost of the chillers, ya dont want to have a weak one takin up space

11. nippie

Temps under control, checking temps in buckets instead of ressy is 72 all day.

Ph is still high as hell 6.4 right now I just ph'd it down yesterday to 5.8!

My ppm is bouncing all over the place, should I turn off all the pumps to get a reading or what? When I say bouncing 450-1180 range more often in the 600-800. The meter wont sit still on a single number. Meter is only a few mths old.

WTF? Suggestions anyone?

And should I try the alternative approach to useless formula and ph dpwn to 5.5 then add nutes?? Has anyone here actually tried this before.

The girls still look good, just worried that something is going wrong and have no clue what it could be.

Thanks

12. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

Take a sample in a solo cup and test it that way. Same for testing pH. The air bubbles/movement of water will affect the reading.

13. nippie

Did that just now,

ph 6.3 ppm 1047

I just throw ph down in there and check it in a hour or two till I get to 5.8 again.

Is something amiss? Or am I just fucking noid on this one because everything is going to good for something NOT to fuck up?

14. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

my ph seems to rise for the first 2 days in my dwc and my new rdwc it did also, I am going to go with useless's sudgestion of going to 5.5 with the water when I add it to the res. because my ph is apx. 8.2 if I dont

15. nippie

Same exat prob. Thanks greenjah. When's you next ressy change?? I'm going to try this also but my water is not due until Saturday.

If you change before that please post if it helps, I will do the same over the weekend.

Seems odd PHing down so much then adding Nutes that will take it down further, but maybe thats what will even it out and keep the ph in check.

16. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

I will post it on my LOG in a bit but I did the res. change 2 days ago. I wasnt sure exactly what to expect so I added 50 ML of PH down and my water was at 6.4 so I decided to see what happened with that number. I Added the nutes yesterday when the ph was still 6.4 and it raised it back to 7.4 so if you go the rout of adgusting water first then do what useless said and go all the way to 5.5, that is what I will do on my next change next weekend.

17. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

Hhmm doesn't seem right if you ph down to 5.5 then add 1000+ppm solution. Are you sure this was exactly what he said? What is your exact water amount in your system ? Don't add 3 5 gal buckets and a 20 gal res and tell me 35 gal either. I don't use a ppm meter too much it's kinda pointless if you are following a recipe. Regardless don't stress I have hit 2200ppm before lol just a smidge of tip burn. I like to run a hot solution compared to a conservative one make the plant want for nothing. The point is to make up the difference in Ph with the down. If you can hit 6.4 with no down in say a 30 gal res. you should only need to add 10ml down at most to get down to 5.8 . For best results wait 24hrs before checking after any change in state. Checking in an hour or two is not accurate at ALL. The nutes in the far reaches of the system have not circulated with, nor chemically reacted with the down yet.

Example:

Drain and Fill it on Sunday at 8pm

Add nutes Monday at 8pm

Check ph and add down accordingly on Tuesday at 8 pm

Check Ph Wednesday at 8pm

Don't add more down unless you are way high like 6.3 or higher. Note your results and tune in your ph down amount and if you are adding more than 10ml . Raise the gallon variable to get the solution hot enough not to fluctuate on you all week. If you are adding ass loads of down to control your ph you aren't addressing the problem. You are putting a bandaid on it.

If you are lower than 5.2 add an 1/8 of the amount of your system of fresh un ph'd water.

Example IF we are at week 4 it's 3-8-16 and we have exactly 26gal circulating. Calculated by filling up your system one time with 1 5gal bucket full at a time till you hit the bottom of the netpots.

If it were me I would round up to 28 gal to start so 84ml of Grow, 224ml of Micro and 448ml of Bloom. This would be our week 4 amounts.

Hope this helps...Steelcity

18. nippie

Steel,

if you read useless thread he states to take it down to 5.5 as an alternative then add nutes if you are having ph troubles.

Well I cant stop ph from going up even running hot almost 1100 veg week three ph still rising daily. I knock it down all day then rises back up.

WTF?

Do you have suggestions?

19. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

exactly how much water do you have circulating?

I have never had my ph drift upwards before. I have experience it drift down lower into the 5 range towards chop due to less uptake and some salt buildup. But after flushing for a week it's usually very controlled.

I would look also at your water content. Are you on city water or well water? What is the ph and the ppm of the water out of the tap? Pending on those results you may need to get some filtering and use gh micro hard water.

20. nippie

20-25 gal.

dropped ph this morning with water change to 5.5.. 10 hours ago.

just checked and it was 6.6

no nutes til morning, i did add more ph down. Should I ph all the way down to 5.5 again tonight and then add nutes in morning??

City water

Yes hard, using GH hardwater already