DYI Flood table 2x3 about $60 (lowes/homedepot build)

Discussion in 'DIY' started by nippie, Nov 13, 2013.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Here's a quick table that you can build in a few hours and everything should be at your local hardware store (except fittings...which I will explain how to sub out if you don't have)

Material list

1 concrete mixing tube $15.97

1 sturdy 27 gallon tote $11.97

1 190 gal pump (or sim size) $14.97

2 2x4's $ 4.28

3/4 hose (irrigation) $ 2.00

1/2 hose (irrigation) $ 4.00

ebb n flo fittings $ 7.00

timer $9.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut 4 legs equal length and two cross members

[​IMG]

I had some plywood laying around, you don't need this and can sub 2x4

[​IMG]

Mark for your cut out

[​IMG]

Cut table (unless using 2x4's) and also cut the top of the tote

[​IMG]

Drill 1 1/2" holes in tub for fittings

[​IMG]

Attach fittings and layout your garden (you can use straight PVC for this if you don't have fittings...remember one low, one high, the low is your fill, the high is for over flow)

[​IMG]

Test your system

[​IMG]

Cover your table (totally ghetto here, using contractor bag that I had laying around to cover table) and transplant your girls to their new home

[​IMG]

Mrgreengenes likes this.
  2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

So when you flush the res or change nutes do you just disconnect the fittings and slide the lid out of the way? Maybe tap a drain and fill on the exposed side of the reservoir lid?

3. nippie

My plan was just to disconnect the fill line from the bottom of the container and pump the nutes out. Then slide ressy out, give a wipe down and slide it back in and refill.

I have enough room to life lid and check ressy. I did it this morning to double check PH

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Aaaaaaahhhh...me so slow.

5. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

to me/for me, I have a spare sump pump that runs 20gal a minute and I have the hose end dropped into my sump hole where the fulltime sump pump is, all I do is take the pump that's always attached to the hose and pickup my lid and drop in the pump, 2mins later the ressy is empty (minus like 1 cup worth)..........then I have a 15ft hose and a long spray wand that has like 8 pressure settings, I spray out the entire ressy with like 2 gal of clean water, pump that out and then start to refill............while its refilling....I add my PH down and then the nutes........all in all each table takes about 12-15mins, then I walk away for 24hrs, come back check PH....usually never have to adjust but I do, then come back a week later and redo.......all the while, all I do is do a few sight checks over the week, spend maybe 3hrs a week in the garden.....8-10 to chop when the time comes

6. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

Very nice Nippie. i have almost the same setup but two less pots. I haven't run hydro in a while. I need to dust off my gear and use it.

7. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Thank for posting this up Nip. Can't wait to try it myself.

:thumbs-up:

8. nippie

I'm hoping it's as easy as everyone says, I really did build this after a long work day...if the rest as easy then I'm happy

I'm switching to 4x4 cubes next table like CC is suggesting.

Now I have to track down my PPM pen. And see if it's true that you can watch them eat by checking PPMs PH

BTW...on one plant is starting to yellow around the outer edge of the leaves, almost like cal-mag issue, but leaves are still happy standing erect. Could this just be shock...I did mess some roots up with the transplant but all in all it went well.

Thanks JR, did you build yourself?

FF, you've seen how long I drug my feet, still am, have other tables and everything. I feel like a beat puppy, lol, gun shy and all switching from hempys

9. CCrete

I understand the whole ppm thing but nothing is guna eat unless the PH is on point....I have a $150 PPM pen collecting dust in my room....PH pen gets the workout for sure...literally haven't checked my PPMs in 2 years and quality and yields have gone UP

keep it simple man....PPM worries will boggle your mind sometimes and make you think your doing something wrong....worry bout PH 100% of the time

10. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

Yeah nip. I built it out of the exact same tub. I used a 20 gallon tote for my res with about 5 gallons in it. I set my timer for 15 monutes on every 4 hours. I used panda film for my cover so the white side could reflect a little more. I ran the useless formula for the first few rounds and then switched to Maxi-bloom. The stuff really works great and its dirt cheap. I didn't see a difference.

11. nippie

maxi is lucas correct? I flop between useless and lucas depending on how lazy I feel (useless takes a little extra work but I prefer it in veg)

The yellowing is cal-mag. My pen was off....and I swear the bluelab pens suck ass..$120 and Ive gone through like 4. they just stop calibrating...but anyways noticed and issue while making clone water up

I thought the ressy was 5.9 it was 6.2 so I'm guessing that's the problem, easy fix and it just started.

But seriously, the roots are outside after 24 hours, not super far, but farther than I expected in 24 hours. IF the Ph holds CC I will personally send you a bottle of what ever you drink for christmas. Correct the PH took like 3 minutes....I'm done. Thank you!!

I think hempys are easier and are more versatile with bigger plants....this seems to be less work, right off the bat.

12. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

When you ditch the hydroton, no messy cleanup at harvest. I'll bet CC just throws out the whole thing from the trunk down - not even a net pot or other container to scrub clean! Brilliant!

:not-worthy:

13. nippie

They look happy, I did have to drop the PH as I stated last night because my meter was off when I made the nutes.

Anyways I hope the ph holds steady. It was 6.0 this morning and I dropped it back to 5.7

I'll see tonight if I am fighting with the system or if everything will be smooth sailing

[​IMG]

14. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

There looking good nippie. :bravo: CC is correct when it comes to keeping it simple. I only check PH and nothing else, and I don't really have problems..

I'll be watching as this grow comes along. :popcorn-2: :bong-2:

15. nippie

I'll get another pic up tonight, they do absolutely love their new home.....only problem is ph seems to rise just a bit. I just had to add a few gallons last night...which is a good thing in my book, means they are drinking.

But I have them netted and they are extremely happy

16. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

coolest thread ever.

17. CCrete

When you start "topping off" the ressy that's when your guna have all the PH fluctuations, your throwing off the balance of measurements from the jump. I fill my ressy at point X, check it the day after and never touch it for the next 6 days. UNLESS something looks super wrong by eye.

Remember that the PH down or UP has to take the time to marry with the ressy and settle itself in, if you check it at 5pm and then try to readjust it at 9pm, your never guna have luck, you'll always be chasing it and end up getting fooled and pissed off....when I adjust I let it marry for a MINIMUM of 12hrs, let it flood and drain a few times, then adjust it

and when its chop time...I just mow down the plants from front to back of the table...then toss the rockwool cubes in a garbage bag, clean the table and ressy, then set it back up and game on again, I don't waste but maybe 3 days in between the time I start chopping to the day that there is NEW girls in their home

18. nippie

PH was at 5.9 after I dropped it the day before.

I just added my nutes to it with adjusting them. adding a few gallons of fresh nutes at 5.3 dropped it back to 5.8

Like I said though, they are happy!!!!

19. CCrete

for sure mang, they look super happy!

give em about another 4 days, that's when you'll see the new explosion of growth but in the same token, don't get all geek'd and think your doing yourself a favor by letting them get to big, remember you've sacrificed a lil bit of headroom and sometimes you get a taller stretch on tables than you do on the floor, the roots stay a tad warmer since they're off the ground and have under-air/table space, they eat/drink a good bit more than a hempy or soil would.

Lookin solid Mr.Nipple!

20. CCrete

actually, I just looked at em again and id switch to flower ASAP, they look about 12-14inch tall and its time IMO