earwax

Discussion in 'Hash and Oil' started by djdc, Apr 24, 2012.

1. djdc

djdc Established Healthy Roots

hello everyone, I don't post here often but I'm on this site quite a bit learning I have found that all you guys have reliable information which is hard to find on the internet big thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge! :read2:

I have made several attempts at making earwax and always end up with a amber colored goo kinda taffyish in consistency. I have researched and found many people saying to whip it under heat to wax up but I was under the impression that whipping it makes budder not wax.

Am I missing a step here?

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Nope, your not missing a step. Some strains won't wax up.....At least for me that's how it goes.

3. Stash2.0

Stash2.0 Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Humidity matters too

4. ResinRubber

Piggy backing in...I've been putting together a vacuum chamber. Will a vacuum purge make it easier to whip into wax?

5. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

I've now gotten to warm wax consistency in 50 degree ambient temp. This is a big deal because for the first time for me raw BHO is in a state I can handle without sticking to everything for the next hour. I did very little whipping - like 30 seconds if that. When I stirred mine with the edge of a razor, it turned almost white and got very stringy, like cotton candy. I don't know why I stopped stirring it.

It must be something about the state of it when it hits the final cure point, when the last bits of butane leave the resin. Or maybe the ability of the resin to discharge the last bits of butane due to the physical state of the resin, like frothy resin as it cures will be more exposed to air and will achieve a more complete discharge of butane, whereas less or no whipping results in a less complete or at least much slower butane evaporation (gassification? is that a word?) I don't know, I'm totally makin this shit up. I just smoked a big flake of it :roffl:

:eusa_eh:

6. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

It's my understanding that to achieve a wax texture, you don't really whip it. I work mine a little bit by putting the BHO ball onto parchment paper. I'll use a very low heat to warm it up and make it soft. I smash the ball into a pancake and allow it to cool a bit so the parchment paper will pull off clean and I will fold it into a ball again and repeat that process until it's fully purged and I have reached the texture I'm looking for.

7. friendlyfarmer

hmmmmmm...

8. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

See. This is how mine has come out using the method described above.

[​IMG]

I purge outdoors using a warm water bath. Not too hot. A slower purge seems to wax up better. I will assist the bubbles to purge off by popping them with a poker, but not stirring the BHO more of a dabbing motion. Once it's basically stopped bubbling large bubbles I will take it inside and use an electric burner to heat a pan of water to keep it warm and allow it to finish purging the last tiny bit of butane. Once it's a sticky BHO texture I'll scrape it up with a razor and put it onto parchment paper and proceed as described above.

I'm no expert. I'm just relaying what I have done so far during my limited experience with making BHO or Wax.

Low and slow is the tempo though! :thumbsup::passsit:

9. ResinRubber

I'm not much help. My wax results are all over the board. From greasy little crumbles and smooth soap to gooey messes I wished I'd left to make amber. Low low heat slow purge, quick boils, lots of whipping, little whipping.... I'm having a bitch of a time finding consistency. Never really believed strains made much difference, but am starting to.

10. djdc

thank you for the replies... So you want a slow purge? I have been using near boiling water for this process. I am reading that butane has a really low boil temp 30 degrees or so. Would warm tap water do the trick to help with this? I figure it will make the purge not such a violent reaction.

11. Stash2.0

Slow purge ftw

12. djdc

Low heat purge did the trick. I did no whipping just warm water out of the tap. once it stopped bubbling as much I switched out for new water piled it up and smeared it across the Pyrex I did that x3. I put it on wax paper (need to get parchment soon) and put it on a heat-mat for a hour or so. once it cooled it's a waxy consistency one question it sizzles when dabbed, does this mean I didn't get all the butane out?

IMAG0270.jpg

/monthly_2012_04/IMAG0270.jpg.d10520d07c9b70980b9d81f396c70098.jpg

13. ResinRubber

All I can tell you all my extracted hash sizzles. Iso or butane.

14. Stash2.0

Sizzle is normal

15. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Yeah, oil sizzles when you burn it. :passsit:

16. friendlyfarmer

17. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Me too. I am making batches using different strains and the come out different textures depending on the strain, even if I follow exactly the same method. Every time I make a batch with my Vanilluna, it comes out nice solid wax that I can handle. I made some out of the Triple OG that hermed on me and it came out more crumbly and greasy. It looks like dried out plumbers putty. Trippy. Still very stoney and good to smoke. Clean taste and high. Just a different texture altogether. :redbong:

18. Stash2.0

Some strains are more oily than others......that's a big factor