Easy Organic Soil Mix

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by ResinRubber, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

I've been questioned lately on some organic specifics and it occurred to me that the fundamental basis is always the starting soil. For those of you who want to try your hand at creating a basic mix without the hassle of going all out here's the mix I use.

Easy Organic Soil mix: adapted and revised by ResinRubber from “Vic’s Super Soil mix” originally posted on OverGrow as contributed by the BC Growers Association.

1 Bag Promix (4 cu ft)

6 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source

2 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source (as an expense saver 6 cups Bone/Blood meal mix may be substituted with varied success depending upon mix ratio)

1 cup Epsom salts - magnesium source

3 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering

2 cups fish/seaweed emulsion – micro nutrients, amino acids, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium

*Optional, but highly recommended especially for organic growers, is a mycorrhizal innoculant. Whatever brand you choose, be sure the spore count is above 60 per 50ml and that it contains no fertilizer additives.

Mix thoroughly, moisten before use. To gain the full benefit of a living soil it’s best to wait 1-2 weeks after moistening to use.

Jemil likes this.
  2. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

compost tea

We add compost tea for moisture and beneficial microbes. after we mix it up sister cooks get hotter and hotter hotter until it reaches a flash point at which time we bag it up for sale. most people mistake composting action hot as the same as a nutrient hot. but the roots will grow right to the hot spot around until it cools off and they thrive.

I would also add glacial rock dust or azomite for trace elements :thumbs-up:

3. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

i would love to make and mix my own soil but...

a. i dont have space to store all teh componants and or the finished sol

b. im only running 5-6 plants at a time and

c. im skerred lol

so for now im using 50/50 prmix and fox farms ocean forest with added pearlite... for my seedlings... also added great white endo/ecto myccorrhizea.... im going to transpant into full blown FFOF with added pearlite... nice and easy for a newbie lol

4. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

I just don't think I could go through all that trouble. I guess I'm more of the buy it and go type of a guy.

Sounds like some serious patience and extreme attention to detail . . . hell, I have to say OUTLOUD what # syringe I'm on when mixing my nutes.:laugh:

I wish one of you was closer, I'd just buy yours.:laugh:

Soil creation is NOT on my agemda at this time.;rofl: But, more power to those who do.:bigok:

:alienwink: :affro:

5. ResinRubber

Once you start it's actually pretty simple. In the garage there's only 3 bags of soil amendments that wouldn't normally be on hand. The blood meal, bone meal and lime. IMHO most gardeners should be adding lime already, even in quality store bought mixes. The fish/seaweed emulsion is the same I use as a fert and in an organic soil grow epsom salt should always be on hand.

Takes about 15 minutes to mix and then is left in a tub or garbage can until needed. When you use 3 gallon pots for flower containing .4 cubic feet of soil you can make one mix and it runs one entire cycle of 10 plants from clone/seed right through flower (transplants and all).

But yeah...I can see where it could look like a pain in the ass. A good part is making your own high quality mix costs about half what you'd pay for comparable products.

BB- your not gonna go wrong with what you're using:thumbs-up:

6. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

That is what happened to me. I decided to start composting and mixing my own soil. By the time of my last grow I had all the bags of add-ins, compost, and reusable soil that I would need for years to come.

Its not hard, it just take that initial push to get it all going to have a perpetual amount of good soil.

7. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Ha Ha rocky quite sucking on the pipe before you do your nutes. Jesus on my dump barrels I have been so screwed up before that I dumped 10 gallons in one drum. Result it starts flooding all over the floor.
    Teamster6

8. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

THANKS!

I have been kicking the idea around...Ive done mostly hempy but now Im sorta kinda curious about learning organic. This is the PERFECT info. You're a GEM!

Dixie

9. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Res, can you REfurbish soil after a grow and use it again? Or is it use and toiss?

If you can re-furbish, what do you add?

Dixie

10. ResinRubber

I use and then toss into my flower beds, but you can compost old soil. And IMHO it should be properly composted before reusing in your MJ garden. Once composted use the same recipe as above and you're good to go.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me Dix.

11. RkyMtnWayHigh69

Thanks for the info, RR and LionLoves420!:bigok:

This is something I will consider once I get all the other elements of my grow stabilized.

Kick ass looking recipe though. I'd gladly put my plants in it.:alienwink: :affro:

12. mt.king

compost piles

Omar you so elementary caters go directly into my compost pile. along with all the amendments from my compost tea bag oh my old nutrients at the bottom of my containers andy old reservoir water and every piece of organic waste material left out of my yard my garden flower beds stems and stalks all the waste from the bubble bags. And every spring hey spread it all over my garden and flower beds. My front flower bed were the tree was was pretty much compacted clay. I put 4 inches of compost in soil on top of it water do you compost tea several times over the last year. And now it's not hard at play it soft clay loam soil foot and a half deep. Basically I use Very little fertilizer in my vegetable garden anymore.:thumbs-up:

13. ResinRubber

MT...dictating into the droid again? It really gets annoying trying to decipher that crap.

14. theCarpenter

theCarpenter member

Sounds like a great recipe RR, but I sooooooo don't miss playing in the dirt. For me, the only thing that doesn't get re-used from one run to the next is water/nutes and the plants themselves. Everything else is completely recycled, and best of all NO MESS, I used to get dirt fng everywhere.

I've been thinking a lot about an outdoor grow next year, and I sure as hell will be trying this mix out if I do. Thanks for the post!

-tC

15. RkyMtnWayHigh69

I spent about 5 minutes trying to figure it out, but once again . . . I FORGOT MY FUCKING DECODER RING IN THE BATMOBILE!:rofl6:

:alienwink: :affro:

16. mt.king

alrightey then

on the pc today sooooooo be nice please. my droid is what i use in the shop. and work when no customers or work needs done. but you still might need to decifer it:roffl: :roffl: :roffl: :roffl:

17. ResinRubber

Update:

Promix BX is the replacement for general purpose ProMix which is now largely unavailable.

Fertilome Ultimate Potting mix may also be used as a satisfactory substitute. Mix at the rate of 100 quarts of Fertilome to the full 4 cubic foot recipe outlined in the original post.

friendlyfarmer likes this.
  18. that gringo

that gringo Young Bud of GK

so if i used this organic soil for plants, i would add some perlite in the mix and other things, but with these nutes, i could flower the plant all the way through?or would i still need to add organic teas and such?

19. ResinRubber

If your using the base mixes specified the perliite already contained in them should be adequate. It doesn't hurt to add an extra cubic foot of perlite though.

You can run this from sprout to finish with little extra feeding as long as you repot between veg and flowering. I add a fish/kelp emulsion every third watering if I'm vegging fairly long or using smallish pots. After transplant to the flowering pots pretty much nothing else is needed except for any bloom boosters or P and K supplements. But those are up to the preference of the individual gardener.

20. that gringo

that gringo Young Bud of GK

sounds good, organic seems easier than nute feeding plants lol, but my next outdoor grow will be all organic:coolbounce:and im gonna use this soil formula:thumbsup:

and as for p and k suppliments, would wood ash be good? im using it atm for my flowering plants outside. i stopped given them MG about a month ago and put some wood ash down a week later and im just giving them water now.