Easy Organic Soil Mix

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by ResinRubber, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

In a very late reply to Gizmo; True, all emulsions are not the same. Wherever possible I've made sure to note Dramm and Neptune's are the preferred brands for just this very reason. To suggest using Useless' formula instead goes against the intent of being organic in the first place. Use's system is proven and works fabulously for lots of folks.....who don't want to grow organically.

Josh...In two posts on GK both have had links embedded to the same seed shop. Gonna assume your post is legit and you're just attempting a little subtle marketing on the side. :redbong:

Emulsions or teas will do the job nicely while retaining an organic principle. I'd add molasses as a chelating agent to speed availability of micronutrients.

3. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

Must spread rep around before I can give you any res. I thought of molasses but couldn't remember when to add. :passsit:

4. DXE

DXE Moderator

I have been using the Useless formula - to the letter for a few years now with superb results. I also use DrAMM-K for normal feedings and DRAMM-O for veg feedings.

I add in cal-mag and a carb load (dextrose/fructose) as needed.

The only change I have made to the soil mix is over the past year I hav been recycling loose soil after i harvest. I put this soil in a bin and mix in peat moss - let it rot a bit and mix it in (50%) when I mix new soil adjusting the useless formula amounts accordingly for the additional pro-mix

The recycling has not had any issues and cuts down on my Pro-Mix expenses.

5. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

DXE me thinks your confused. Useless formula is for mineral based nutes and your growing organically. Useless formula and organica don't mix. :)

6. ResinRubber

Zactly.

I recycle loose soil also Dxe. Just make sure it sits in the bin for a few weeks. Moistening with a little Hygrozyme or H2O2 mixed with water can deter any pathogens.

7. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I think that's a misconception a lot of people have. Just because the medium is soil doesn't make it organic, it's what and how they're fed.

One of the big reasons I went to ProMix was because I could feed the plants the same nutes as the hydro. Different amounts, but out of the same bottle.

Yeah, I recycled it as well. But on occasion, just recently as a matter of fact, I've run low on the new and mixed in too much of the old. My logic was 'it was flushed good so it'll be ok'. Not stopping to think that I'd depleted the Ph buffers in the old and there wasn't enough in the little bit of new I was using.

Starting seeing multiple signs of nute problems on the same plants a few weeks in. Thought 'what the fuck' then realized the Ph was way out of whack due to the buffer depletion.

But as long as I use over 50% new they do fine.

Be Cool, CG

8. DXE

DXE Moderator

I thought the base formula i got on here was from useless..

Soil mix

Mix the following with 3.8 cubic feet of ProMix BX.

1 cup Epsom salt

6 cups bone meal

2 cups blood meal

2 cups dolomite lime

2 cups fish emulsion in 1 gallon of water

2/3 bag mykos

9. ResinRubber

Close to what I use and I'm sure if Useless uses it it's just fine, That isn't the Useless formula all the hydro guys on GK talk about though.

10. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2015
  11. Helpfuljosh

Helpfuljosh Excommunicated

Starting my Rockwool seeds

Thanks Discorilla,

I think I found it in the planetneutral shop online. :thumbsup: thanks! I will start my first rockwool grow next month, still preparing the room. I want to experiment with different nutrients and setups. Also try LED light and HSP. In the Netherlands second had grow stuff has become pretty expensive because of a new law.

Also the seller of equipment for growing are now illegal and punishable. A lot of grow shops are gone, so the international online shops florish.

I want to rely on this information for my first rockwool grow, is this solid?

Germinate marijuana seeds in rockwool

Happy growing!

12. ResinRubber

I want to note that this mix is simply a variation of a very old recipe that did not originate with me. It may also help some folks to catch the original variation as posted on the now defunct OverGrow.com

13. DXE

DXE Moderator

My take on the recipie

All

I have been using a slightly modified version of this for a couple years now - tweaking it a little bit as I add recycled media and have increased the Dolomite lime a bit to extend the time I have free calcium in the soil...

Mix the following with 3.8 cubic feet of ProMix BX.

1 cup Epsom salt

6 cups bone meal

2 cups blood meal

3 cups dolomite lime

2 cups fish emulsion in 1 gallon of water

2/3 bag mykos

I feed with Drammatic-K during flower and Drammatic-O during veg - both Kelp based products. I add in some sugars for late flower and cal-mag as needed

14. DXE

DXE Moderator

tweakI have made a small tweak to my dirt recipe - based on a discussion on benificial nutrients in another thread.I started adding liquid kelp to the dirt mix - half gallon per recipe. The logic here was to include a nutrient that its only job was to meed the microbial life - the mykos...In addition, I increased my Dolomite lime by 1 cup. I am staying with pelletized lime as it will give me more consistent boost to the soil until I start supplimental feeding.The attached photo shows how the base stem growth has improved - here is a typical stem from my first full run (Lemonberry at 9 weeks) using this new soil mix. I will see the first rootballs later this week when I harvest these.Proof is in the pudding....

View attachment dan's GK-1.jpg

/monthly_2016_01/57a6cbaeacb7b_dansGK-1.jpg.52282dba86249ed5734d2fb84593e5cf.jpg

15. ResinRubber

Looks good:thumbsup:

Always tweaking. Suppose it may be time to add something to this thread. The recipe is a basic guide for a starting point. Here's a cool chart about different amendments/ferts and the additions they make to soils. Really thinking about switching to these guys for supplies. www.groworganic.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some notes concerning organic soil mixes and composition. This is by no means complete. It is a partial listing of additives and amendments most often used for organic cultivation of cannabis.

Manures

source/NPK/comments

Alpaca manure 2/1.5/1 Best poop available. No seed carryover, No need to compost. Low risk of burning plants. High in beneficial bacteria.

Rabbit manure 2.4/1.4/0.6 Most concentrated of animal manures in fresh form.

Cow manure (dairy) 0.6/0.2/0.5 Often contains weed seeds, should be hot composted.

Steer manure 0.7/0.3/0.4 Often contains weed seeds, should be hot composted if fresh.

Chicken manure 1.1/0.8/0.5 Fast acting, breaks down quickest of all manures.Use carefully, may burn. Also, stinks like hell - composting definitely recommended.

Horse manure 0.7/0.3/0.6 Medium breakdown time.

Duck manure 0.6/1.4/0.5 .

Sheep manure 0.7/0.3/0.9 .

Worm castings 0.5/0.5/0.3 50% organic material plus 11 trace minerals. Great for seedlings, will not burn. Is a form of compost, so doesn't need composting.

Desert Bat Guano 8/4/1 Also contains trace elements. Fast-acting, mix in soil or as tea (1 C guano to 5 gal. water).

Cave Bat Guano 3/10/1 .

Fossilized Seabird Guano 1/10/1 Slow release over 3 to 12 weeks, best used as an addition to potting mix.

Peruvian Seabird Guano (pelletized) 12/12/2.5 Legendary fertilizer of the Incas. Use in soil as a long lasting fertilizer, or make into tea (1 tsp pellets to 1 gallon water).

Note: it is recommended to first compost any fresh manure before you use it for 2 reasons:

1) to lessen the chance of harmful pathogens.

2) to break down the manure to make it more usable to the plant (and reduce the smell!)

The rates for pig or human manure are not listed because of the high rate of harmful pathogens they contain.

Organic meals

source/NPK/comments

Blood Meal 11/0/0 Highest N of all organic sources, very fast acting if made into tea.

Bone Meal (steamed) 1/11/0 Releases nutrients slowly.

Cottonseed Meal 62.5/1.5 If growing organically, check the source. May be heavily treated with pesticides.

Fish Scrap 5/3/3 Use in compost. Usually slightly alkaline.

Fish Emulsion 4/1/1 Also adds 5% sulfur. Good N source for seedlings, won't burn.

Kelp Meal 1/0.5/2.5 Provides 60 trace elements, plus growth-promoting hormones and enzymes.

Soybean Meal 7/0.5/2.3 .

Coffee Grounds 2/0.3/0.2 Highly acidic, best for use in alkaline soils.

Minerals

source/NPK/comments

Greensand 0/1.5/7 Mined from old ocean deposits; used as soil conditioner; it holds water and is high in iron, magnesium, and silica - 32 trace minerals in all.

Eggshells 1.2/0.4/0.1 Contains calcium plus trace minerals. Dry first, then grind to powder.

Limestone (dolomitic) 0/0/0 Raises pH, 51% calcium and 40% magnesium.

Limestone (calcitic) 0/0/0 Raises pH, 65-80% calcium, 3-15% magnesium.

Crustacean Shells 4.6/3/0 Contain large amounts of lime. Should be ground as finely as possible for best results.

Wood Ashes 0/1.5/7 Very fast acting and highly alkaline (usually used to raise pH). Contains many micronutrients.

Crushed Granite 0/0/5 Contains 67% silicas and 19 trace minerals. Slow release over a long period of time.

Rock Phosphate 0/3/0 Contains 11 trace minerals. Slow release over a long period of time.

Epsom Salts 0/0/0 Provides Mg and acts as a balance to Ca levels.

Mix and match formulas

Pick one source from each category. The results will vary in composition from 1-2-1 to 4-6-3, but any mixture will provide a balanced supply of nutrients that will be steadily available to plants and encourage soil microorganisms.

Nitrogen

2 parts blood meal

3 parts fish meal

Phosporous

3 parts bone meal

6 parts rock phosphate or colloidal phosphate

Potassium

1 part kelp meal

6 parts greensand

Sources include: Rodale Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, The Deluxe Marijuana Growers Guide (Frank and Rosenthal), OverGrow Faq,

16. jaxn

jaxn Germinating

I have purchased everything for this mix except the Fish/Seaweed Emulsion. Can I just leave it out or is there a substitute.

Thank You,

Larry

1 Bag Promix (4 cu ft)

6 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source

2 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source (as an expense saver 6 cups Bone/Blood meal mix may be substituted with varied success depending upon mix ratio)

1 cup Epsom salts - magnesium source

3 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering

2 cups fish/seaweed emulsion – micro nutrients, amino acids, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium

*Optional, but highly recommended especially for organic growers, is a mycorrhizal innoculant. Whatever brand you choose, be sure the spore count is above 60 per 50ml and that it contains no fertilizer additives.

Mix thoroughly, moisten before use. To gain the full benefit of a living soil it’s best to wait 1-2 weeks after moistening to use

17. ResinRubber

I wouldn't personally. The kelp/seaweed is an important source of micro nutrients early on and helps the mycc to get a head start. It also aids in reducing plant stress when repotting.

If you want to skip the fish it should be no problem.

Dramm. Hard to source. Excellent quality. OMRI compliant.

http://www.dramm.com/html/main.isx?sitesec=3.0.0.0

Neptune's Harvest. Hydro shops and well stocked garden centers. Still tough to find. Excellent quality. OMRI compliant.

http://www.neptunesharvest.com/

Alaskan. Lilly Miller owned so it's widely available. Wally Mart usually has it. Decent quality. Low $$. Some Alaskan products are OMRI compliant but don't believe their Kelp fert is.

http://www.lillymiller.com/alaska.html#kelp

Hope it helps. Keep us posted on the results. A caveat, some strains prefer a milder mix. If that's the case, back down the blood meal and bone meal 30%. If you look at my pics you'll

notice almost every healthy plant is just slightly burning at the tips. The unhealthy ones are generally scorched. That's the risk of running a hot mix until you dial in a strain's preferences.

Once dialed you can get baskets like these.

[​IMG]

18. jaxn

jaxn Germinating

Thank you for the quick reply.

I'm growing White Widow fem. I just finished my first grow using a soilless mix and adding nutrients to the water. It was a bumpy road but they made it. This time I want to try using a soil with the nutrients in it so I can just add water.

The reason I didn't get the fish/seaweed emulsion was the cost but that Alaska brand is cheap enough. Can I just go to Walmart and get any one of the dry alaska products to add to the mix? Walmart is our only choice here, no other stores. I did get everything else including Mycorrhizae.

Another question, If the mix might be too hot should I back off a bit on everything but the promix and perlite

Thank you

Larry

19. jaxn

jaxn Germinating

Beautiful basket

20. ResinRubber

WW isn't a strain I've ever grown. Funny that huh? So don't know if she's a heavy feeder or not. It's popular enough that somebody here has the experience to direct you. Just post up an ask in the lounge..you'll get an answer.

Use liquid on the fish/kelp. Tried the Alaska dry both indoor and out with some pretty poor results.

You only really need to cut the main sources of long term N and P (blood and bone meal) when backing down how "hot" the mix is. In my gardens K, Mg, and Ca always seem to be in short supply late so they're the last thing to be reduced, if at all.

Btw, that basket was grown with the easy soil mix as most recently posted. No changes whatsoever. Only supplement was a once a month dose of molasses during veg and flower. Sometimes it just straight up works.