ec vs tds

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by nippie, Oct 27, 2014.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

so I figured my next log I will do ec or ppm readings when I post to show how much or little they are eating vs drinking.

Problem is whats the best way to handle this?? Is it EC readings or PPM readings because of the conversion factor .5 vs .7 and considering most brands calculate it differently what would be most useful?

2. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

TDS aka ppm hands down. TDS is a function of EC like you mentioned. Thing is if you go off EC alone it's far to narrow IMO to make or notice fine adjustments. i.e. EC 1.0 = 500ppm @0.5CF or 700ppm @ 0.7CF, EC 1.1=550ppm or 770ppm, etc...

It's similar to the light meters. I could buy a meter that applies a conversion factor or just apply it in my head. If you will be doing things on the fly and you aren't the best with mental math, which I am not, becomes pretty apparent an applied conversion factor while not necessary sure is a nice convenience.

So really it's preference but I feel TDS meters are a little more user friendly by giving you a little extra resolution.

3. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

I'm going to have to mark the ressy too I think.

Thanks Skunky