Efficient 96 Clone Setup Tutorial.

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Rasta.Rude.Boy, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Rasta.Rude.Boy

Rasta.Rude.Boy Mo' Fi' Ya'

Hey Growers,

Recently Krony and I discovered a shocking fact. We are getting close to chopping time and we hadn't even started taking clones for the next round yet. Luckily our three mother plants we have in veg are on beastmode, so they had plenty to offer...

We calculated we need 96 clones total, and fast.

There are a couple store bought options to get this done quickly, with fantastic results, such as the "turbo kloner", or 'EZ cloner", but both of these cost anywhere from $350 and upwards for something large enough to get the job done.

We decided to go with an older technique we have used before and has worked flawlessly.

This setup cost approx $90-$100, and a couple hours to complete.

You can obviously reproduce this setup for however many clones you need.

The supplies needed are:

Containers

Hydroton

Rapid rooters, or rooting plugs

Razor Blade

Rooting Hormone

Air Pump, Hose, and Bubble Stones

A Light

First of all, you need a container with a dome. You want to keep your humidity high, and having a reservoir of water in the bottom of your container gets this done.

For this we bought 4 sterilite containers at home depot, they were 5 bucks a piece and included lids. We then stacked the containers one upside down on the other and used white duct tape to create a hinge on one side of the containers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then needed to devise something to divide the net pots to allow multiple rapid rooters per pot. For this we used the lids that came with the containers. They are semi easy to cut with a decent pair of scissors. Measure the appropriate size for your net pot and cut out however plastic rectangular pieces you will need from the lid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually you will have a stack of these plastic pieces. You then need to notch them half way down the center, so that they slide together without distorting the shape of the divider. This doesn't need to be perfect, but you get the idea...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After you have your dividers, add them to your pots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next you wanna take your Hydroton (pre-washed) and fill your cup up to whatever level is going to leave only enough space for your rapid rooters at the top. Place a rapid rooter in each section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After you have spots for the amount of clones you need, its on to taking the clones!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut the stems of each clone at a 45 degree angle, dip into rooting hormone, and place into the rooter holes. Remove excess stems and leaves you don't need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you have your net pot filled up you can trim the leaves to make sure everything will fit into the container, and it also helps your new clones retain their water and sweat less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, you add them to the container, and fill the container with water until the hydroton portion of the net pots are submerged.

[​IMG]

Finally, grab your air pump, hose, and air stones. Setup your air pump wherever works for you and run the hose to the container. Place your air stones into the water spaced as evenly as possible to help keep the water oxygenated. Close the lid, and bring your light down over the container. There are many lighting options here, and keep in mind that your light can also provide heat to help keep things warm enough for good humidity. I have found that 70-80 degrees works great with this method.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there you have it... 96 clones for under 100 bucks. Rooting time will be anywhere from a week to ten days. Its not the quickest I know, but It got the job done with the money we have to work with right now. Although the clones for the next round are important, so is the POWER!!!

I do not recommend this route of mass cloning if you intend on leaving these clones in these pots for awhile. The roots will become INCREDIBLY TANGLED!!! I plan on transplanting each one accordingly as I see the roots poking. When you sit at home all day and have the ability to do this, it helps, and makes this method completely functional.

Hopefully this was helpful, happy growing to you all!!!

If you have any pointers to help me out feel free to hit me up!!! I can never learn enough when it comes to growing, and there are so many correct ways i like to know multiple effective methods!

:passsit:

2. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

i kinda choked on the "were almost ready to chop and we haven't taken any clones yet...

not that it wont work cloning a flowering plant, but newbs have much higher success rates when they take clones from a vegging plant. newbs hang out here in the begginers lounge. clones taken from flowering/revegged plants tend to be stunted and exhibit odd growth patterns.

maybe i misunderstood what u were saying

excellent post on the mega-cloner otherwise.

post this stuff in the DIY forum :pimp:

*EDIT*

Happy Growin' BURGLAR!!!! :pimp:

3. Rasta.Rude.Boy

I just meant for the next round... We have mother plants... We are not taking clones from flowering plants haha... I will edit the post to make it more clearly understandable, thanks!

4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

I hope you don't mind if this goes in the FAQ section for hopefully every newbie grower to read for the entire rest of GrowKinds life? :thumbs-up:

Very nice work Rasta. Thank you for you taking the time to put together this very educatuional tutorial. Not only for the cloner, but for the cloning process.

Very cool :good job:

Much rep to you, my friend.

5. Rasta.Rude.Boy

Thanks Man!!! Hearing that from you makes me feel accomplished!!! I have been admiring your work for years. Keep up the good work on your end!!!

I plan on making an in depth tutorial on the conversion of a garage into a professional grade CEA room in a couple of months. Once we begin construction I will fire up the thread!

6. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

*Gnashing teeth*

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR :pimp:

(butthurt)

7. krondikebar

krondikebar In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

nice thread player. This is SUPER helpful. You have really outdone your lazy ass this time. :passsit: im on the left.

8. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

:roffl: :roffl: :roffl:

We're working on the FAQ section. Don't worry, you haven't been forgotten. :pottytrain2:

9. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

:good job: Nobdy can mess up after reading this.

10. SirStynkalot

SirStynkalot A Fat Sticky Bud

thanks man. I'm totally sick of literally having to go to friends' grow rooms to take cuts for them. I have to do it for 3 people. Now I'm just gonna send them to this thread and tell em' good luck!

11. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Really great tutorial. I dig the easy to make cloner setup. I especially dig the use of the net pots with dividers. Very cool. :good job: I can't rep you again yet or I would. This is rep worthy material.

12. Rasta.Rude.Boy

Haha... Well thanks! I appreciate the props.

13. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

ounds like you missed the crucial part---where he said he has MOMS in VEG.

Dixie

14. Rasta.Rude.Boy

I actually failed to mention that the first time haha... I just assumed people would know we wouldn't be taking all those clones, or any, from our flowering plants... I mean we have experimented with taking clones from flowering plants before, but would never attempt to start up a whole crop of clones from flowering plants... Clones taken from flowering plants are extremely unpredictable. You never know when they will come out of shock, if ever, and grow abnormal leaf sets. I have never taken the time to grow one out long enough to the point I could tell its clearly vegging again.

15. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

It takes oveer a month before normal growth returns. Its a complete fook on!

16. hydromorphone

hydromorphone Excommunicated

Unless you are going to use all of your cloning gel don't dunk your clones into the container over and over. It's better to take out what you will need and put it into a shot glass (or other small container). This will prevent your gel from being contaminated. Also it's a good idea to refrigerate rooting gel to extend shelf life.

17. krondikebar

krondikebar In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

Yes, thank you, I am completely aware of that. I did dunk them right in the container this time as I was very high, and not really caring much.

best part is, we have almost 100 clones in bag...or the box...whatever..

18. Rasta.Rude.Boy

yup. all that other shit is out the window

19. kama3

kama3 Established Healthy Roots

nicely done, how long you have to wait to get the roots down there?

another new technique i've red about, that would make this whole cloning thing faster/easier is to use that rootgel on living female, about a week, keep on bedaubing same spots on the branch with it until theres little "nubs" on it, and after then you make cutting. it should only require couple days humidity dome and there's already roots..

20. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Thats not really speeding anything up. You still have to apply the gel and wait for the roots to develop. I could cut the clones like normal and have them rooted in 7 days while your still waiting on the nub.

Rapping a damp cloth around a branch with hormone on the inside will have the same effect. You end up with roots growing out the branch and it can be cut and planted straight away. Its still no quick than normal cloning though.