ELECTRICAL issue

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by CCrete, Jul 17, 2010.

1. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

So i just reread the post so wait you had a broken ballast and you took it back and got a new one brought that one home after testing it at the store and now it doesn't work after plugging it in?

2. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

I took the bulb, ballast back........got brand new out of the box stuff exchanged

Tried it at the store, the old stuff..........it did not work, just buzzed like it did at home

Got new products......got them home, now they just flicker

SO......the one thing that I did NOT exchange was the cord and socket set........i will be getting that dropped off to me here in the next half hour or so

With it flickering like that, dont you think the NEW line is ok and its a product defect???

3. CCrete

Prob a good idea.......but i aint touching that thing man......im a elec retard.....i mean i completely understand it but am totaly afraid of the POWER

4. CCrete

ok i got a multimeter, how in the hell do i use it?

5. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Don't be such a pussy! Check your connects!

I used to only wire outlets. Then I watched an old Electrician install a 200.

If you're scared, use one hand, so you don't complete the circut! :lmao:

6. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

I hope thats not htg light and ballast your useing Chris

Teamster6

7. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

two Lincoln's

I know lumatec says not to use a neutral for ground on their 240 wired ballast or they will void warranty

8. CCrete

Its the house, it has to be, i dont think my 9 house neighborhood (2 private roads) has the JUICE to run all the ACs and normal house stuff, not to mention....6 of the homes have retired couples in them....so theyre home 24/7....suckin up MY juice!!!

Anyhow........the lady at the hydro store said MY old ballast worked fine, after she put in a new bulb and new cord set.....so it seems to be ok

I still got all the BRAND NEW replacement stuff she gave me, it also worked in the store...brought it home and just gettin flickering

It absolutly has the be the service......has to be dammit!!!!!

OK WAIT.....

If the breaker was bad, would the light be flickering or NOT work at all????

Thats the ONLY thing that is NOT new....

???

9. CCrete

Ya know what.....how easy is it to change out a breaker?

Ill take the pics but it'll take me 20min to go get a new breaker and install it

Ill go do the screwdriver thing right now....

Ok hold on...wait a min.....im gettin ahead of myself here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE OTHER scenario IS: This was happening BEFORE i got the 240v installed as well, but on a 120v line.....so now whats the problem????????

I mean just forget the 240 for a minute......and forget everything else too

Why wont a light fire up if all the components are good and im NOT anywhere near being maxed out??? i have a 200amp service

10. CCrete

I use brand new hydrofarm ballasts.....magnetic....they have a 120v and a 240v plug (female)......it gives you the option of running either/or

I have all the correct 120v and 240v plugs....They only work one way, you cant screw it up....240 and 120 have differant ends

I have tried it both ways, 240v and 120v.....i have tried it with ALL the lights OFF and all the lights ON.....i still get nothing

I plug the light into a bedroom plug, it flickers, i put it into a plug from which i took OUT a light that was working......it flickers

Im a fairly intelligent guy....i understand the situation......it makes ZERO sense to me....im loaded with common sense......this is NOT something that has occured cuz of the NEW 240 lines..it was happening weeks before they were installed.

Any more ideas?

11. CCrete

Not the same wire...120 and 240 have diff plug ends, they only go IN, ONE WAY

I wanna scream......if i cant get this to work here by this weekend, Im going to have to TOSS........2....5ft tall and 5ft round TREES!!!!! I have NO room for them cuz of this

12. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Ur breaker could have been bad then and might still be. u added a 220 cause of this no? and kept the old breaker? Just change the dam thing its like 10-15 bucks. If it still dnt work then fuck i dnt know bro time to call an electrician, or this is a sign tellin u to chill on adding more power lol.

WTF HYDROROOKIE is a elec. engineer y isnt he helpin us!!!! dam it rookie!!!!

13. CCrete

I personally did NOT hook anything up

I want to say I got 12-2 wire but I could be wrong

But back to the original issue for a min...

Why would it NOT work as it normally did in the 120v? It DID work, then i took it out to try my NEW 1k that I got, the 1k fired up and when i went to put back in the old 600, it just stopped firing up on the 120v

I was going to run 240v anyhow....this is just happening on both 120 and 240

Once again, this light would NOT fire up on 120 OR 240v, with the same OLD 120 plug that it was in for 2 years....or the NEW 240v

But the other 3k is goin strong, no issues......i even unplugged a WORKING light and plugged in the flickering one......STILL FUCKIN FLICKERING!!!!!! That why i went and got NEW products......thought my older but still new stuff shit the bed or whatever

14. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

but like he said if he un plugs a working light ( same 1k im thinking) and plugs the flickering one into the same outlet that working one was in it still flickers?!? thats nuts CC im just gonna watch from here on out!

15. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

That could be the fucking problem right there!

Did you tell your buddy 220?

220 pulling 220 could be the issue!

If the light is wanting 220 and only getting 110, then it would most likely just 'flicker'!

The Plot Thickens :thumbs-up:

16. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Ok you guy's this is getting crazy. There is one sure fire way to tell if you got 110 or 220 stick your tongue in the socket if it just jerks you a little bit & lets you pull your tongue away it's 110 if it jerk you around like crazy & you can't get your tongue off till some one pop's the breaker it's 220 . Now all you need is to find one of your friends dumb enough to help you out. -Bud

P.S. Get you buddy back & check the thing with a meter Or it's going to drive you crazy.

17. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

HaHa!

It's (almost) as simple as taking the fucking panel off and visually reporting!

Is the line wired into 1 fuse or 2?!!!

If I were running that much, I'd learn some electrical!

The less you need to rely on others, the better.

18. CCrete

No you goofs....im not a total dipshit.....i put in the 240 plug and plug the fucker into the 240 outlet....the thing flickers!

Then i unplug the 240 and switch over the cover plate and put in the 120 and plug that into a 120 outlet.....

You couldnt do it any other way....the 120 has a standard plug and the 240s have FLAT prongs on them

Think fellas:roffl:

19. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Yeeaahhh.....

You can put a fucking 220 plug/outlet on a 110 line! Plug/outlet means NOTHING!

'Dipshit' is purely subjective :lmao:

20. JuggaloKing420

JuggaloKing420 Just clownin around

Fucking old stoners. It does sound like there's only 120 going into a 240 plug. Hence the flicker but not actually sparking fully. Or a ground issue. I don't know man. You said it didn't work when plugged into your 120, but your current grow is working fine? My father in law is an electrician. If you don't figure it out tonight I'll give him a call tomorrow.