Exercising While High

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by MellowDood, Nov 1, 2010.

1. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

Getting right to the question. Pros? Cons?

I'm determined to quit smoking and switch to edibles exclusively. Many reasons, primarily lung health. I'm a firm believer that cannabis does not cause serious lung problems, at least not in 99% of average users. However, I know for a fact that my athletic stamina is hindered significantly when I smoke.

My goal is to get into long distance running again. This will sound strange, but I hate running. It's terribly monotonous and boring, but it's a great easy way to stay in shape. A little high curbs the boredom and makes me less likely to quit. That's my theory anyway.

The first concern is an increased heart rate. Is it enough to make prolonged exercising dangerous? Actually that's the only one I could think of so far. Are there any other issues I should consider?

2. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

Pros- It won't be so monotonous and boring.

Cons- I can't think of any.

I've been hitting the cardio and weights for years now and I always get royally stoned before each trip to the gym. I fucking love it.

No.

Smoking weed before exercising: Just Do It. :thumbs-up:

3. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

It seems to me there's no question about it--lungs wernt made to HAVE to be assaulted with hot tars and other nasty stuff contained in smoke. ANY kind of smoke. Like the ad says, "Do your lungs a favoir!" get a vaporizer! Im looking into getting one....

Meantime, I think your plan to switch to edible is good.

Dixie

4. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Don't take this wrong Dix but you should tackle the cigarette smoking before you worry about what the weed is doing to your lungs.

You should still get a vaporizer though, they are the shiznit! I love all my vaporizers.:thumbs-up:

5. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

I exercise 4x a week while baked outta my brain. Aside from the last 2.5 years off from my bad back, I have been doing it for about 20 years.

Smoking about 15 mins before hand helps open my lungs (formerly a long time tobacco smoker). I breathe better, and can do cardio longer. Plus, I get zoned out and kind of in a mental zone making an hour work out seem like 15 mins.

IMO, it's more important to not smoke for at least 30-60 mins after working out, to allow the muscles to cool down while taking in maximum oxygen to the body. Your muscles aren't looking for THC or Nicotine to repair themselves after a work out.

6. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

I don't know how you guys do that. I cannot work out after getting high.

I tried that a couple of times and after a couple of hits, I decided it would be better if I got a bag of Doritos and watched South Park instead.

7. talltrees

talltrees A Fat Sticky Bud

+1

8. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

:roll: I can definitely sympathize with that. It's happened to me many times. Lately I've been getting ready first so all I have to do is walk out the door, then I take a hit. I'm outside within 30 seconds and on the road before I peak, so that helps curb the South Park temptation. Soon I'll try edibles. Considering onset is 20-30 minutes I think they will help eliminate the laziness factor completely.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and advice.

9. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Edibles put me straight to sleep. I can do any kind of physical activity after smoking or vaporizing but as soon as an edible kicks in it doesn't matter what I'm doing I just wanna go lay down and take a nap.

10. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

It's not about that. I certainly don't smoke every day anymore, and when I do smoke it's usually only once that day. When I have edibles it's never more than once in a day. I only tried that a couple times. At those rates I may end up eating only before exercising.

11. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

I recall reading that THC molecules "fit into" fat molecules much like a key fits a lock, it's like a perfect fit which is what makes THC so soluble in fat.

Now... If you've been a heavy / consistent smoker for the past however many years, you will have a large buildup of THC molecules in the fat throughout your body.

What happens if you exercise? You start to burn fat molecules...

Don't be surprised if you don't smoke a thing, start to exercise, and then start to feel high as a kite. :p

12. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

Interesting. I can't say I've had such an experience, but if it were true that's a good motivating factor to stay fit. :smoke2:

13. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

I hit the gym today and before I went I smoked a pretty big joint. Great workout. When I got home, I hit the shower and then rolled myself a post-workout doob. :bong-2: