first time grower looking for direction... HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bigbud214, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

hello all i am about to begin converting a 2ftw x 8ftl x 8.5 fth closet into a mo1st dest grow room. i would like to make a flower area and a veg/ mother area. i have a few questions after reading all of the FAQ posts and getting much good info. the problem is iim confused about a few things. i would greatly appreciate any input to my questions from experienced growers. here they are:

1. what would be the best way to create a seperate flower area in the space i defined above? 2. would a 400w HPS light be enough for the flower area which i imagine will be around 2' x 4' and say a smaller HPS or flouros for the veg area? 3. do basic start, grow, flower nutrients produce the wonderful buds i see on these pics or do i need a more complicated nutrient schedule? (this is an important question for me) 4. is sea of green a good approach to take as a newbie? 5. what are a few good strains of sativa/indica hybrids for a 1st time grower to try? 6. is it safe to order seeds to be shipped to the USA? 7. what is the best way to order these seeds and from which supplier? (i know many people post links to banks but the prices vary soooo much, please help) 8. how much more can i expect my electric bill to increase running a room of this size? (mind you im only looking to flower a handful of plants at a time)

i have done so much reading that i am now confused by all the info i have gathered. i would really like to cultivated the killer buds i see in everyones gardens but am afraid of wasting my money on uneccessary equipment or supplements so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me. THANK YOU in advance to all who post a reply to help me on my way.

2. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Bless your heart! I had to LOL--YES it IS confusing, even intimidating AT FIRST. But very soon it will all start to fall in to place.

I think a 400HPS ix a fine plan for your space. Do you have a way to ventilate to get the heat of the light out? They do put off quite abit of heat.

YES you will produce the same primo lovely buds you see here. You can get as wild with nutes as you like and that your budget can stretch, but if you want to Keep It Simple, Im very happy with BOTANICARE's two step products, PRO GROW and PRO BLOOM. Just follow the directions on the bottles.

Seeds do vary widely in cost. However, after a year and a half of going for the cheap seeds, Ive finally learned that in MJ, you DO get what you pay for. It is absolutely WORTH the extra money to buy FEMINIZED seeds. They cost more, but you are sure to get FEMALE plants. If you buy "regular" seeds, of 15, five are sure to be males and depending on the luck of the draw, as many as half MAY be males. Raising a planyt for 4-6 weeks, wasting light, space, nutes and your time...only to discover in week 2 of flowering you have a bunch oif males is very distressing.

Some of the cheaper seed houses may list their seeds, having names you've heard, "White Widow" or "Silver Haze", but NOT be the SAME Silver Haze or WW you're looking for. In other words, there's nothing to prevent a less-than-scrupullous seed house CLAIMING a seed is this or that....but it's a poor distant relation to the REAL thing. I have learned...and RE-learned this lesson. Do yourself the favor of just going directly to one of the REPUTABLE seed banks who carry many breeders fine strains. Pay the money for the FEMINIZED seeds. Look at it this way...yes, they are pricey, BUT you are guaranteed to not waste your time growing some mediocre product. Plus, after your initial investment, you can have clones forever---0so your next grow is FREE!~

My personal favorite seed sources are seedboutique and attitudeseeds Also, if you're interested, everyonedoesit.com offers SINGLE seeds of many great strains. You may pay 12 bucks or more for one single, feminized seed, but it gives the opportunity to TRY a strain, make clones IF you like it. Others will say buying a single seed is a rip oiff, buy 5-10 for a more accurate assessment of a strain.

I am compelled to advize all new growers to PLEASE google "Hempy Bucket" BEFORE deciding on growing in soil. "Hempy" is the simplest form of hydro, requiring nothing more than a 1,3 or 5 gal. plastic bucket (or any other container), drilling a drain hole three inches up from the bottom, filling with PERLITE and popping in your plant. The bottom 3 inches acts as a resevoir--the plants roots get to reach right down into their food. Perlite is cheap, very lightweight and nothing could be simpler than growing with the Hempy style.

Good seeds, good genetics, good nutes, a good light...away you go!

You've come to the best possible place to learn---these GKers are the BEST.

Dixie

3. Bigbud214

thank ou very much dixie for your helpful and informative information.

4. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

believe it or not I actually agree with ofo

And if you go double level you can go with a 4 foot 8 lamp t 5 system you can run the blue bulbs on veg and the red bulbs in flower of course a 400 hp s is definitely gonna make tight and denser buds. But T-5's definitely can still make a good quality smoke they still produce heat but nowhere near the heat of an HID. Also instead a hempy buckets A couple of 2 by 4 flood drain trays could work really nice can you say SOG

As for dividing am making dark in light rooms I'd buy a roll of panda film:thumbs-up:

2 foot wide just isn't good enough for 1000 watter If your room was at least 5 feet wide I'd say go 1,000 with an 8.1/5 ft ceiling

5. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

if ya want a veg area and a flowering area you should do as the others have said and split the box into two. I would give the flowering room 2 X 5 feet and the veg side 2 X 3 feet. A 400W HPS in the flowering room and the T5s in the veg side. The only challenging thing here, will be to make the two sides completely light proof, you can't have the light from the veg side interupt the flowering cycle of the other side. so like the others have already said- split that shit. Oh yeah, one of the most important things you'll have to consider is air movement. You'll need intake holes and an exhaust fan to cool the box, preferably drawing air from the veg side into flowering, and then out of the grow box all together.

Dixie, don't know why you are so into femminized seeds. I use them sometimes and yeah, its nice to not have to worry about males. But really, they are totally over rated, considering you can just clone your favorite plants and never worry about males again...without spending twice as much for the same genetics. You say why waste money on soil and electricity growing males, only to have to yank them anyways? Well my logic is that the little bit of electricity, time, and soil that it takes to sort out the males, is essentially a lot cheaper than paying double the price for the same genetics. Also, you can get good genetics on the cheap, you just have to go with reputable breeders and strains. I've personally never spend more than 50 bucks on any seeds, and most of them have been top notch. Just do some research on Mandala and Sannies, and you'll see that cheap seeds can also be of high quality

6. Bigbud214

thank you ofo and Mt King,

i think the pliting of the levels might just work. my next question would then be how to keep light from the veg room from leaking into the flower room? I really appreciate everyones good advice. I hope i am not being a pest by asking so many questions.

7. Bigbud214

thanks link420,

but again my question remains whether i split it vertically or horizontally how do i keep the flower side or level light proff and accessible?