Gluten free Oatmeal energy cookies w/cannabis

Discussion in 'The 'Kind Kitchen' started by ResinRubber, Apr 26, 2014.

1. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Can you tell the bake lady has taken a break? Leaves me to do the work myself which means you guys get another recipe. Besides, what else has an old bachelor got to do on a friday night?

:redbong:

These low sodium, gluten free, high energy cookies are great for bringing on hikes or snowboarding. If you have a heavy tasting batch of cannabutter this is a good recipe to salvage it. The ingredients are strong, earthy and can compete well. Simply increase the spice by 1/2 and add 1/8 tsp ground cloves to offset stronger tasting butter.

Gluten free Cannabis Oatmeal energy cookies ala Res

1/2 cup canna butter

1 1/4 tsp baking soda

3/4 cup unrefined sugar (regular sugar works also)

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 cup peanut butter (Chunky or smooth, both work. Prefer chunky meself)

3 1/4 cups rolled oats (do not use "instant" oatmeal!)

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg (slightly more if not fresh)

6 oz chopped toasted walnuts (or nuts of your choice)**

6 oz raisins (dried cranberries or any other dried fruit is good too)

Preheat oven to 350F

In a large bowl mix sugar, brown sugar and cannabutter until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well. Add the peanut butter and stir in the oats, nuts, fruit. Place two tablespoon dollops of the dough about two inches apart on a lightly greased or parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes.

**toasted nuts......just put them in a pan and stir over medium heat until they start to darken. Voile', toasted nuts.

enjoy:redbong:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
  2. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Look and sound great. Reminds me of the Lays commercial "bet you can't eat just one".

Be Cool, CG

3. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

I'm going to be baking this recipe soon. You are inspiring me to try to make cannabutter again. After eating some local baked canna goods and finding them to be just like all the stuff I've ever baked, I have a little more confidence that I didn't do something horribly wrong.

One question - is it true that cannabutter will be potent even if you use low quality (i.e. been thru a tumbler) trimm?

Damn those things look good!

OK another question - do they get rock hard after cooling? I've noticed most canna baked goods get hard as hell after a few days. Actually now that I'm thinking about it ALL homemade baked goods get hard as rock after a few days.

Oh well I guess you just have to eat them all real quick before they get stale :roffl:

4. ResinRubber

The rock hard is a storage thing. Leave-em out in a baggie on the counter and in 2 days you'll have dry cookies or bread. Make sure to use good airtight containers and they stay fresh and moist for a long long time. If cookies or bars start to get stiff just put a slice of bread in the container and they'll be soft and chewy in a few hours. For breads going stale, just cut biscotti's and fully dehydrate.

Dunno about tumbled trim. Thinking it may just be a matter of using more material vs untumbled. I know Ras and a few folks I've met use vaped weed for butter. It tastes less grassy than regular cannbutter, but, takes a lot more weed to make a pound of decent potency butter.

5. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

I use my trim mostly for my butter.... I just simmer it in a double boiler in very low heat for a couple hrs... I use about oz and half of trim to 2.5 sticks butter.... Then I just squeez through cheese cloth... I add some baked material if ibhave it. Makes the s little nutty in flavor....

6. ResinRubber

Sounds about right BB.

Remember to always settle your butter at least a couple times. Just take the cooled caked and wash it in cold water. The loose stuff on the bottom of the cake that comes off when you wash it are mostly milk solids that are of no use and only contribute to the grassy taste. Then take the clean cake, put it in a couple couple cups of hot water over low heat to melt then let it cool in a tupperware. You'll be amazed at how much plant material drifts out and how much better your butter is to work with. You can also take the opportunity to skim any foam or scum from the melted surface. This is also mostly milk solids and plant debris.

It's like anything we do with cannabis. There's ways that work.....but if you simply put in a tiny bit more effort the difference is well worth it.

As an aside and hoping Skunky catches this cause it'd be nice to know... I like to stir the butter when I remelt it in water. Just seems to come out cleaner. My thoughts range from the polarity of H2O and chlorophyl while canniboid compounds remain attached to the fatty acids. If that's the case, increasing surface area by stirring is a good thing. Dunno though. Just know it comes out better.

If you choose to stir, be sure the butter is left in a melted state long enough to allow a full separation of H2O and oil after stirring. 30 minutes or so.

7. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Seeing chlorophyll is water soluble I believe that's what pulls it out... Stirring can only help I believe...

8. friendlyfarmer

9. friendlyfarmer

I just baked this recipe and got euphoric recall from winter! Thank you Res!

The toasted nuts really add a lot to the flavor. And I have to admit the budder I made had a VERY grassy smell to it perhaps due to the use of stems in the mix AND salted butter, which probably picks up more flavor than unsalted butter. I was worried the cookies would have that classic burnt grass taste. So when I ate three (only three damnit!) during baking I was VERY happy to find that there was NO grassy taste or smell to the cookie!!!

:happy7:

10. ResinRubber

Bar none, this has been our best recipe yet. Thanks for the plug FF.

11. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

....and it's delicious!!!!!:thumbsup:

12. friendlyfarmer

These things are amazing! I had a bag of dried cherries and some dried apricots that I used long with some raisins, and OH MY GOD! I can eat like half a dozen in 23 seconds. They also apparently make you talk like a teen-aged valley girl!

I've got all the fixins for another batch man. Just let me know when to pre-heat the oven.

[​IMG]

13. friendlyfarmer

Quick follow up

So I wound up GIVING away a huge bag of the cookies, not sure how many were in there. I gave them to a nurse who then passed them out to a variety of friends during a weekend camping trip. I just saw her last night, and she rolled her eyes and said that the cookies were a huge hit, that everybody loved them and spent the entire weekend basically tripping they were so strong. :roffl:

I suspected they had some juice cuz I ate half dozen then slept for 12 hours :LOL:

14. ResinRubber

:coolbounce:

We likey when that happens. Seems lots of middle agers who haven't toked in years will chomp a decent cannabis munchie long before they'd ever think of hitting a joint. The typical reaction once the effects kick in is

:5eek::icon_confused: WTF is going on?

:idea: hey...not so bad....

:smokin: whatupmothafucker?