Goin' LED

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by HappyHappyHighGuy, Nov 18, 2009.

1. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

I've never been able to get the temps under control in my 400w HPS closet and switching to LEDs is the easiest solution.

My plants are kept pretty short so the canopy penetration shouldn't be an issue. Even if it doesn't perform as well as the HPS, the trade off in cooling and energy savings will make up for it.

I ordered this unit...
    http://hydro-grow-led.com/blog/full-spectrum-126w-grow-light/

The light manufacturer has a forum with test grows...
    http://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65640

My 400w uses $20/mo in electricity. Add to that 2 bulbs per year and the total is $300/yr. The 126w LED fixture would use $72/year in electricity and the savings would pay for the unit in 6 months. LEDs are supposed to last 10 years.

[​IMG]

2. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

Interesting.

:smokin:

3. nobogart

nobogart Cured Fat Sticky Bud

you will be disapointed

4. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Good luck ! I know you will keep us up to date with your grow.-Bud

5. HappyHappyHighGuy

Thanks for the vote of confidence :thumbsup:

I'm expecting less yield, but the gram/watt should increase.

6. the_red_bull

the_red_bull Guest

It's true, a lot of the people I talk to here that talk up HIDs like there's nothing else, don't consider the true costs. It's not just what you're spending on the lamp, or to power it, or to maintain it. You're also spending on other stuff to control the temperature side effects and using more water. I'm actually excited to see what this looks like. I've been seeing a lot of stuff on youtube that makes me think LED's aren't a bad way to go. If you get good results let me know about the model you're using.

7. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

led

I dont know what the yield will be like but I think you will probably like it. I think I would have gone with the 318w though. good Luck

teamster6

8. 4F2C0J

4F2C0J STAYYY FLYYY

Ill be watching,but your having trouble cooling a 400w HPS that's weird what size CFM fan/fans do you have? Just a thought you could try same setup, strain, only CFL same watt too watt as your LED and see which one produces better as a GK experiment. peace

:fly::fly::fly:

9. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

Negative Nelly's mayne. Don't let em hate on you HHHg. Exactly as you said in your rebuttle. It may not be as powerful as the HPS but the savings in energy consumption are the focus here. So like mama said to all of us as young gker's "IF you ain't got nothing nice to say. shut the fuck up"...DSP

10. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Looking forward to your results HHG. Another real world test never hurts.

cheers,

11. HappyHappyHighGuy

I'll PM my address to you so you can send the extra $600 :wink:

12. HappyHappyHighGuy

I could cool it more effectively, but the setup has to be torn down 3 times per year and it is a very small closet so it's just not worth all the extra work. I may get rid of the fan that's in the closet now and hook it up to the 600cfm fan that exhausts the micro cab. It should be powerful enough to cool both areas without the 400w hps and ballast heat.

13. HappyHappyHighGuy

The closet will be down over Christmas, but if all goes well it will be back online with just the LED fixture Jan.4, just in time to flower some Black Widow :smile: seedlings that I'll probably document in the mrnice.nl forum.

14. HappyHappyHighGuy

Thanks SC. I'll be happy if it performs as well as a 250w HPS. That's still a 50% energy savings and will provide all I need. I can always add some CFLs or even go back to the 400W if all else fails.

15. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Led

Hey happy did you check out the thread on opengrow where sannie used leds in conjunction with sulfer plazma lighting???

teamster6

16. phatkojak

phatkojak Developed Alternating Nodes

HHHg, I've been interested in the results myself in these LEDs. I've got 2x600w HPS, and without an AC unit, I simply cannot cool it below 92F. I found that out yesterday when the damn AC burned out - ever try to find a window AC unit at this time of the year in CO? I would gladly pay the extra up front if I could get similar results, but do away some of the energy costs long term.

Anyway - this chair is comfy. Don't mind if I do. :new_popcornsmiley:

~Kojak

17. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

I'm interested in seeing the results too.

I think it's a great idea.

I just have a hard time paying $1,100 for a single grow light. But, if the results are favorable, it'll be worth the extra entry cost.

:passit: :animbong:

PEACE!

18. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

COOL! What doid you pay for that bad boy?

Ive got a 90 w UFO LED that I find is great for sprouting and vegging. I can easily get six or seven plants under it, which is all I grow at one time, anyway. I havent been able to try it out for flowering because I expect it could only flower one plant, rwo at most.

But let us know how it does for ya. LOVE that less heat/less power feature. One day, LEDs will prolly be the ONLY way to go.

Dixie

19. nobogart

nobogart Cured Fat Sticky Bud

just stating the truth, not being negative, facts is facts, 126w led is not going to come anywhere near 50% yield of that of a 400w hps = disapointment.

i have no doubt you will grow some good bud but hell look at cali`s thread.

20. jollygreen

jollygreen Veggy Stage

i believe someone else showed us a nice led grow the only thing we have been waiting on is the final wieght of his grow but the looked badass at harvest.Goodluck hhhg, it was looking at your mins that made me do some of them too. Please let us know how it goes :new_popcornsmiley: