Goin' LED

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by HappyHappyHighGuy, Nov 18, 2009.

1. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

The closet is 10°F cooler now with the exhaust fan on 50%

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Hopin for the best HHG:smokin: I trust your garden will tell the truth.

cheers,

3. HappyHappyHighGuy

Thanks Res

I'm happy the temperature is under control now (78°F at the moment), and the exhaust is only running at half speed which seems to be scrubbing better than when it was on 100%.

4. calibuddz

calibuddz Veggy Stage

PROPS on testing this unit for the public. we need more people like us. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!! dont listen to the haters, but dont believe everything that you hear. research is the key. lets let the people know, and GROW THIS MUTHA FUCKA GREEN!!!

:bong2:

5. HappyHappyHighGuy

The plan

is to germinate some Black Widow next week, veg for 3 weeks under CFL, then into 12/12 under the LED.

In order to maximize light penetration, the plants in the LED closet will be kept under 1 foot tall until the end of flowering. This allows the panel to be a few inches above an even canopy. Indicas can grow naturally, but tall/stretchy plants will be JOGed.

6. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

Looking forward to your results HHHG. Lets see what that panel can do! Peace

7. dvinman

dvinman Germinated

Facts straight from the High Times Cultivation Labs

In three separate trials, a high-powered LED (prototypes of HID Hut’s UFO) was run in side-by-side experiments – once against a 400-watt MH bulb, once against a 400-watt HPS bulb, and once against a 600-watt HPS bulb. These trials used exactly the same conditions on both sides of the fence. The plants were cuttings taken from a single mother; the medium and grow systems were the same; and the nutrients and atmospheric conditions were kept identical. The only variable was the lamp provided. And, as usual, the results varied.

In Trial A, the clones were placed in a three-by-six-foot box that was divided evenly in half. An ebb-and-flow table on each side shared the same grow medium and reservoir. In the end, the LED lamp yielded 12% more than its counterpart, the 400-watt MH.

In Trial B, similar systems again pitted the UFO against a 400-watt HPS, only this time the LED side took an extra week to finish. Some concern arose over stretching, as the clone grew to touch the UFO. This resulted in a decision to increase the blue diodes in a second prototype, and it may lead to an increase in wavelength for the red diodes, according to the manufacturer. In the end, the LED side yielded 5% less than the HPS side did.

However, it was reported in Trial B that there were markedly different potencies, with the LED plant producing much more resin. Speculation exists that the shortage of wavelengths aided in this process, as abnormal stresses have been known to increase the production of resin glands. Final calculations taking into consideration the extra week of flowering time on the LED side found that in terms of grams yielded per kilowatt hour (KwH) consumed, the HPS yield was one-fourth that of the LED side.

In Trial C, the grower found similarities to both previous trials. While the LED yielded less than its counterpart, this test pushed the limits of the LED by pitting it against a stronger 600-watt HPS bulb. Resin production on this Cali-O strain was up after just four weeks of flowering, but in the end, the yield was around 20% less. However, the grower did note that the amount of money saved in electric costs compared against the costs of the 600-watt HPS was almost enough to offset the profits lost on yield. An interesting side note in this trial was that the plant on the LED side needed considerably less watering than the plant on the HPS side. It is possible that this is due to lower surface temperatures in the soil medium, or because the plant wasn’t driven as hard and thus drank less.

Anyway you slice it, this one’s a real mind-bender. Given the possibilities for vast improvements down the line, the LED revolution could very well be underway already. Will the LED Zeppelin (or the UFO) take off and change the world? For the present, things are certainly looking up.

http://hightimes.com/grow/nico/5449

jollygreen likes this.
  8. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

I didnt read the artical but all the pics of the buds looked small. I want to see a comparasion grow were the clones are vegged for 6 weeks then flowered. The HPS's will kick led arse every time!

9. dvinman

dvinman Germinated

10. jollygreen

jollygreen Veggy Stage

after watching callibudz growwith the lumigrow 330 es or something like hat i had inquired and wasthinking of one of his units the trade off in cooling costs,electric,neuts,bulbs, this one says 7 year life span get that out of a single HPS bulb :passit:

11. jollygreen

jollygreen Veggy Stage

uh nice entry :new_popcornsmiley:

12. HappyHappyHighGuy

Update

Several plants finished flowering the last few weeks under the LEDs. The buds continued hardening after removing the HPS and finished nicely.

I will start the flowering cycle after Jan.4 of several strains that are currently vegging. The only lighting will be the 126w LED fixture.

13. calibuddz

calibuddz Veggy Stage

i cant wait to see what this unit can do for flowering. if LEDGirl would have just done a test with 1 unit as opposed to like 12 units, then i wouldve been interested in her and her friends tests. i mean, who can really afford that many units in one buy? shit, i paid out the ass for the current test that im doin, hahaha.

keep up the great work bro. like i said, i cant wait to see what that unit can produce. MAD PROPS!

:passit:

14. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

EVIL is right on !!!! l.e.d.s suck and yes ok you can grow under em but the pot is crap!!!!you have no U.V. rays that power the tric production to there fullest--i have some strains of weed that i keep for personal smoke and dont want (yeild) but power--ill flower under only metal haylide lamps to make my shit bang/pop ---dont care how ya slice it no l.e.d. lamp will give me a frosty!!!!! harvest---you can grow pot with bullshit lights and get bud but when ya give em the ( power of the sun )yer getting buds that that give ya there potential---l.e.d.s are jist nothing------show the reprts and bud shots but ill say ya grow the same plant under good lights you will get better pot hands down---this is my oppinion and if ya show / prove me wrong ill recant and prop ya ---no dissrespect bro just sayen my little two cents .

15. Joe King Park

Joe King Park Auto-Pilot Grower

Check Out Dampkrings New Website or my gallery

Hi Happy

I Checked Out The Kweekotheek System @ The Dampkring Grow Shop In Centraal Square .

They Are Being Used By A Seed Company To Keep Their Motherplants Alive ( And Flourishing , May I Add )

It Was Awesome To See Mother Plants That Were Of Four Different Strains , Yet Were One Plant .

They Were Created By Grafting .

L.E.D's Are Perfectly Fine For Vegetative Growth, And Are Efficient

Sure , They Are Presently More Expensive Than The Fluoro Tubes That Will Do Just As Good A Job

CFL's ; Now They Are , As Evil Put It , " Crap " ; CFL's Are Disposable And Unfixable And Environmentally Unfriendly.

One Cannot Accuratly Measure P.A.R In CFL's

So If Kiwiseeds ( Two Pounder ) Are Using Them In Their Breeding Rooms, You Know That They Must Be Worth Their Salt

HPS ( A 600 Is Most Efficient )To Finish .

As I Cannot Upload Images Here , I'll Put Them Up In My " Other Gallery " For You To Check Out

Remember Also; Place A Order For Any Of The Seeds Their And Recieve A Free 5 Pack Of Kiwi Seeds ( I Got " Daddy's Girl " 75% Indica-25% Sativa )

Happy ; Did You Ever Manage To Find A Price On N.H.S ( National Health Service ) ?

I Paid 60 Euros , Which Was'nt Bad For 18 Seeds

Best Grow Shop I Have Ever Been In ( Even The Peyote Was Being Grown Under L.E.D's )

I'll Have The Images Up Tonight Sometime ( In My Private Gallery Section You Are Privvy To )

all the best

Joe:smile:

16. HappyHappyHighGuy

Hey Joe

I haven't priced NHS. I have at least 30 seeds Shanti sent a few months ago so no need to buy. I recently ordered MNS Devil from SeedBoutique for $74 total.

17. Joe King Park

Thanks HHHG

Thanks Happy :smile: For Your 4,444th Post:thumbsup:

After Recieving Free Test Beans Off Shanti In The Past , I Felt Obliged To Buy Some This Time Round.

I Have The Medicinal _ Patient Price List Somewhere (25% Off )

What's 60 Euro's ? , A Gramme Of Isolator Hash @ Dampkring That I Did'nt Buy

I Almost Bought Red Dwarf By Big Buddah , But My Moral Compass Would'nt Let Me :icon_confused:

Joe ( Snowed In In North Wales ):shocked:

18. HappyHappyHighGuy

Yea the MNS med discount is the best deal around. Shanti/Neville genetics as cheap as the fake ripoffs and you get twice as many seeds and direct support from the breeder.

19. Joe King Park

OOOps ' I Think I Owe Shanti 20 Euros , Lol

I Found The Pricelist Last Night :wink:

Oh, It's Bloody Cold Inside And Out !!

Joe:shocked:

20. HappyHappyHighGuy