Good soil? Miracle grow Organic soil?

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by Scorpio, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Sticky Skunky Buds

Well the soil I bought was poor quality, and I've asked around and know there are threads about this but is the Miracle grow Organic soil good to use, all I can get like Scotts potting soil ect Miracle grow the stuff in bags, but cannot get Fox Farm ocean forest mix.

I just want good soil that would not give my plants def or any nute burn, you know what I mean, just good green leaves, I'm use Fox Farm nutes, just need good advice on if the Organic soil worked good.

2. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Scorpio all I use now is Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix but I add Dolomite lime , perlite,& vermiculite . I don't give them any nutes during veg. Then when I flower I give them Miracle- gro bloom booster that's all and my White-Widow love it. I harvested over 1/2 lb off of two plants under 400w. hps. Good Luck - Bud

3. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I had good results with the MG organic soil. I too used some additives, lime and some previously used soil with perlite, fed with organic tea (coffee grounds and fish pooh mainly)...not bad stuff, more so if those are your choices. :smoke2:

4. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

I have never used the stuff, however some buddies of mine always used the vegetable mix or what the hell ever it is called. They wouldn't use anything else. I wouldn't say they had awesome harvests or anything but it worked fine. You know you could always just use straight perlite and go the hempy route, I got a UI in a hempy/DWC type thing. I water it like a hempy but the pot already had holes on the bottom so it sits in a container that I keep about two inches or so full as a res with a airstone in the water just to keep it oxygenated. It is striaght perilte in a sterlite trashcan that is maybe 2 gals. I think it will give over Qp to sit on for a bit.

5. Scorpio

Great, its going to be Organic soil. Cannot wait to get some better soil.

6. smokeyC

smokeyC Germinated

:stop: if its miracle grow organic i suggest you freeze it before you use it, its filled with fungus gnats from the poultry litter they put in it.heres a thread about it on a diff site, and i also experienced fungus gnats when useing the soil for my first grow, the picture i attached was used with that soil, no complaints besides the gnats. http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=67828&highlight=miracle+grow

Picture 073.jpg

/monthly_2008_01/57a6c990d9edb_Picture073.jpg.71f4269f1f7806e792523540f2f45417.jpg

7. john10

john10 seedlings

im using it and its working well so far

8. LionLoves420

Did not have that problem, but yes, I would pay close attention for bugs and watch your watering if others have.

9. Scorpio

I got a bag of it, just hope this soil will make me grow like a master, all the other bags of soil I get are Top Soil- low quality must be why my plants don't look good all the time.

10. Mutt

Mutt New Sprout

It's not poultry litter...its dead chickens and chicken fodder. Its the compost from a chicken farm...not good for indoor gardenin IMO. Make your own soil and compost with worm castings and a good base like FF or something. just my two cents.

Do a lil indoor worm bin and get some good organic soil...and get those beasties a workin.

11. "The Master"

"The Master" Time Lord

I can't speak, as to the fungus gnat deal, that may well be a good point, just DON'T know, short story;

Chick we once knew, got her hands on some kind cuts, from someone who got evicted, from their apt. She potted them in MG soil, in pots. Other than Fish emulshion, she gave them nothing, the whole grow, other than water, with a stolen HPS pole light. She ended up, with a nice CLEAN harvest of nugg's. I don't recall the strain, but it worked out. I don't know now, if she added to the soil, but I was impressed with the outcome.

I'm NOT a soil guy, but they must put something good into it. I'm drunk, and passin' out, but thats my take on MG soil, from observation.

12. LionLoves420

that's my thing with the ongoing MG debate....seems to me that the sheer amount of people who have had successful grows off ALL varieties of the brands should be proof enough of it's worthiness....do I prefer to make my own soil? Yes, and I do now, but not six years ago I didn't. :smoke2:

13. allsmilez

allsmilez snow bunny

lol....

Before I found the wonderful world of the web...I always used the same soil, same nutrients(Organic&Tomato stuff, for the most part,lol..)....Then, I started mixing it up, new nutes, new soils,....messed everything ALL up....:icon_confused: Now, lol, I am back to the original mix-up, original amendments, ....:laughing5:

Everyone has differing methods, and certain soils are just better for the kind of grower you are. Like me, for example, I love that my soil has everything it needs, so I just water them. When it's transplant time, they get new soil with a differing nutrient ratio for the stage they're in....I'm easily distracted, and all the different nutes, and when I watered who with what last was just a hassle, made my head hurt....:laughing5:

I've never used the MG organic for mj, but I've used it for potted things in the yard, never had any problems,...it's nice,...good fluffy soil. :)

14. bigboy01

bigboy01 Flowerin My Bitch

I used the miracle grow organic soil on my grow. Gnats came out, i installed fly traps. you can see em in my pics. that took care of my gnat problem and my plant is purple. Go for it:scream:

15. Scorpio

I got the Miracle Grow Organic Choice Garden soil, and it says do not put in containers/pots. Is this the right kind to use? I only put perlite in the soil and that's it, and some hydrated limestone.

16. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

I use Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix it's for containers.-Bud

17. allsmilez

allsmilez snow bunny

Agree with Sombud.....

Yep. The PLANTING mix will probably be too heavy, the POTTING mix is meant for containers....and it's usually somewaht ph adjusted, too... :)

18. geheim

geheim Excommunicated

how much does that

mircle grow soil mix cost????

19. Scorpio

Hmm, didn't see the potting mix one, damn I guess perlite will help the soil, and for the prices you can spend about $4 dollars a bag on Miracle Grow Organic soil. I think its wonderful soil, rich in nutes but you have to add perlite, to help the drainage/get oxygen to the roots.

I think that is where I messed up at, no perlite in the soil.

20. geheim

geheim Excommunicated

you said you growed

weed before dude?