Grow Control Systems

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by DXE, Dec 19, 2014.

1. DXE

DXE Moderator

All

As my little "hobby" is growing and will continue to grow AND add to things the fact that ALL of my control systems are basically hacked together - fan controllers, temperature controllers, heaters, light timers.....

A while ago I played around with a home-grown solution based on the Rasberry Pi computer. It kind-of worked but it was also a hack job...

Last week while I was away one of my fan controllers failed and I had no warning till I opened the door to 100 degree temps.

I am looking to re-invest some of my proceeds into a proper control system.

Think about the infrastructure MANY of us have in place - and how much of a real investment it is... Lights, ventilation, heating and cooling, Hydro systems, CO2, electrical systems, water filtration, computers.... This stuff is INFRASTRUCTURE and is OUR business expense

Not sure how many of you keep spreadsheets on your costs and returns but we have a good thing going here. We can turn a profit and help pay the bills. We dont have insurance that will cover us in the event of a crop loss...

I cant afford to loose a crop because some CHEAP fan controller failed in an off state and I had no monitor to send me a text message.

Spending 2K on a system like this is an investment in our businesses....

Does anyone have any experience with any of these?? The one I am looking at is:

http://agrowtek.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,flypage.tpl/product_id,26/category_id,14/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,26/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
  2. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I think a control system would be nice to have especially if you were away for any period of time. But keeping easily accessible documentation of funds spent and received to insure maximum profit?

I had a friend that got busted for possession that turned into distribution because of a note in his wallet of who and how much money certain people still owed him. So how far would a DA run with a spreadsheet?

Be Cool, CG

3. DXE

DXE Moderator

It wont take a cop or prosecutor digging thru my computer to figure out I am running a for profit organization..... I also use a bank - even though that scares alot of folks - Just keep the transactions under your states safe number and your good to go. Some banks ATM's even suck in cash for you :)

If your growing to move inventory - you really need to keep records. If nothing else it will improve your operation.... The money I spent on my LED's did not come out of my household budget and I will be able to show my return on investment - not just have a feel for it.

As for the control system - I am away every day working a real job ;) .. I go on the road for a week every month. Its nice to be able to get an alert if the lights or heat or cooling fails. We put a ton of trust in Walmart timers....

Even if this was my full time job - the control system is one item I would not go without. It lets me spend my time and resources tending to the trimming (thanks Mr GJ) and less time worrying about th infrastructure....

As far as your legal question re a DA and a spreadsheet - like I said - he really ont need that BUT to find out - lets ask someone who knows - FF???

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Controllers? I'll break down eventually and consolidate everything into one easy handy dandy box. Some day. Maybe.

Spreadsheets or cost analysis? I do 'em, then burn 'em. Paper trails hurt your defense. It shows a history that doesn't need to be exposed to anybody with a warrant. LEO may catch you growing or selling right now....but do they need to know you've been at it for ten years? That kind of shit will sink you when trying to work for a plea.

5. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

These things (penal laws and judicial systems to process violators) vary quite a bit from state to state and country to country, but in general a prosecuting attorney has a shit ton of power and can prosecute a chicken for spittin' sideways, and in New York courts juries have hung for the entertainment of watching crows pick your eyes out.

Follow your conscience. In some places it's not so much fun busting pot growers these days. The shine has shone, especially for us small timers. I mean seriously on the scale of thing we are TINY little dots doing tiny fractions of what some other guys (that never post on forums) are doing. You know that firsthand. Myself? I have so much physical evidence of what I do that spreadsheets are just one thing of many, many things that, were I in a non-legal environment, would be incriminating things. I use them. They are useful, specifically because it records what I do.

As for that controller in the link, I would gladly pay $1700 one time to forever more have a slave make sure all my gardens are maintained at optimal environmental conditions. And I don't have to feed him, let him shit OR worry about him fucking my daughters (a big plus).

Problem is it is easy to get into the mentality that anything that gives you more weight in the end is worth it and will pay for itself eventually. Grow gear is too expensive, specifically because of that. I fight it. :thumbsup:

6. DXE

DXE Moderator

Like I said - the prosecuter wont need my computer to prosecute me - PLENTY of physical evidence elsewhere :) ..

I agree with FF here in that the law seems to have figured out there are better things to do than go after small timers like me.

I will continue to research these systems. Here is a link to some other products - the more I read, the more I like the Agrotek system

http://www.greenhousemag.com/gm0912-environmental-control-systems.aspx

7. CREATIVE GARDENER

Damn FF, amazing how that intellect can slip through the cracks at us on occasions. You're so full of shit most of the time we forget just how sharp you really are.:kidding:

Be Cool, CG

8. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Dxe, I for one would love a system that would allow me to leave for days at a time and still be able to peak in per say a blue tooth device maybe through an app on my phone, and maybe be able to change or modify some setting on the fly. I'm sure that's coming if not already out there. :bong-2:

9. DXE

DXE Moderator

I will be talking to agrotek this week - the can use a lan based pic will be asking about app capbilites

I think notifications- text or email - that's as important as the control functions these things have

Today I have webcams so I can peek in anywhere I am. I would love to also get other stats via app

10. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

just go get a cheap surveillance system, hook it to internet and download the app, point a camera on your Controller and/or room(s)

I can check all my stuff from my phone, 8 cams on the building/property and inside of my spaces

My sentinel controller scrolls the Temp,Co2 PPM and Humidity 24/7 and the AC has its own brain that is all interconnected

11. friendlyfarmer

Sharp as a marble.

I need GrowBot.

[​IMG]

12. DXE

DXE Moderator

That works for me - I see you have programmed yours with the data I downloaded from Mr GreenJeans brain last week - looks like its doing a great job of trimming

13. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Having a controller can be a good thing. Having spread sheets laying around is a bad thing. You may think your good because your small but if they find spreadsheets going back for any length of time, you are screwed. Getting busted for growing would be the least of your problems. Your biggest problem would be tax evasion. They would care less how small you are if they can get you for 10 years of not claiming the income on your tax return. Never have more than a couple months worth laying around. Get rid of ANYTHING that shows you receiving any money in return.

14. CREATIVE GARDENER

Justification for asset seizure was my biggest concern, not a deciding factor in a conviction. Busted is busted!!! That's why I don't have a trace of it at the house we live in.

But they know that it paid for all new stainless appliances in the old ladies kitchen, the kids i-phones and laptops, the new 60" 4K television, the new motor and transmission in the old Subaru, the whole family gets fucked!!!

Be Cool, CG

15. ResinRubber

Bingo!. Again, it's not that no paper/electronic record will stop you getting busted. If you're popped, you're popped. No way out of that one. The problem is that keeping records where LEO can access them shows you've been at it for a looooong time and receiving payment. That's a slam dunk for possession/cultivation with intent to distribute, which almost ensures a plea to a lesser charge will be impossible, and even an easier slam dunk for losing your personal assets to Civil Forfeiture. (there's another member on the board who can attest to that one)

Why would anybody ever want to make a prosecutor's job easier? OCD or organizing compulsions be damned. If you're working in an illegal environment, personal written record of your actions are your enemy.

FF....don't know what you been toking, but I want some.:jj: From personal experience I can guarantee you that small jurisdiction LEO loves bringing down small grows and treats them as if you've been peddling heroin at the grade school. It's the easiest, least risky, most profitable bust local LEO can make. It also looks good come budget time with the city council. They don't tell them the bust was 12 seedling plants in a closet for a med user. It's a grow-op in their city that was thwarted by the heroic work of their underpaid boyz-in-blue.

Just my experience...yours may be different. But you ain't gonna shake what I know to be true after living it.

:passsit:

16. friendlyfarmer

ResinRubber - that's absolutely true if you are illegal. But if you reside in this universe, and live on this planet, and happen to be in the Western Hemisphere on the North American continent and live in the United States of America AND have the blessings of the US federal government and your state (i.e. you are on a NA reservation in a state that has legalized the cultivation and sale of cannabis and you are within your state's legal guidelines) like me and ALL OF US POSTING HERE your probability of the local LEO being interested in busting you goes way down. If not, follow your conscience.

You want some of what I've been toking eh? Well it is Christmas...

Back to the OP topic, I would love a grow control system. Gonna buy one soon.

17. ResinRubber

Which is why this caveat was buried in my last post.

Controllers are good. Controllers that track history are bad for those of us not in a legal environment. Pretty simple.

:passit:

18. CREATIVE GARDENER

"Caveat" Res you're just showing off your extensive vocabulary. Hell, I can't even pronounce it let alone use it in a sentence.:roffl:

But, back to the original topic, I've thought about a controller on occasions but all of mine is in several different smaller areas. A clone area, 2 small veg and 3 small flower areas. To consolidate everything would be a shit load of work.

Be Cool, CG

19. friendlyfarmer

I got my paws on one. It's not exactly what you are looking for DXE, but it came with my CO2 rig and has a CO2 ppm monitor which is what I really want it for. It might be a bit antiquated compared to what's available today, and has some functionality that I don't plan to use, but otherwise the thing seems pretty cool.

Def doe not record data in any way. At least any more than a temp gauge or a digital timer does.