Growing with a license

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by Savvy Simon, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Savvy Simon

Savvy Simon Established Healthy Roots

Hello... I am six weeks into my first indoor garden. I am growing for someone with a thirty plant license. The plants are growing very nicely and will be ready to be moved under the HPS lights in another week.

This website is a great place for support for the average grower but there are certain questions that a medicinal grower might be better able to answer. Are there any experienced licensed growers here that wouldn't mind dialoging with me.

Peace brothers and sisters...

2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Where are you licensed? Canada? Or in the US? I'm a medical grower in Soutehrn Cali, registered with the state as a medical patient and I am a partner in a licensed medical collective. We're just getting started.

I'm interested in dialoguing with you, however I wouldn't say I'm extremely experienced. I AM more than competent IMO. What kind of info were you seeking?

3. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Ssince this is your first grow, you're not even UP to "average" yet. However,

there are several forums for medical MJ growers, which you can find by googling, "medical marijuana growers forums" There's one for Montana, tenn., Arizona....and probably more. There's probably one for your state.

Dixie

4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

I'm licensed in Colorado. What do you want to know?

5. Savvy Simon

Savvy Simon Established Healthy Roots

Hi... thanks for the responses. I've just searched out an interesting looking Medicinal Marijuana forum and will definitely be signing up there. I'm growing on the island in BC, Canada. I'm learning that there is a lot to learn, but it's all going really well and I'm confident that my vigilance and hard work will pay off.

By 'average' I simply meant 'not medicinal' or 'not licensed'.

Anyway I have a couple of questions related to the business end of medicinal growing. I've been approached by an established licensed grower who is wanting to expand her farm to the point where she can apply to be a government grower. She has been acquiring licenses and growing for different people. She offered me $1500 per month if I would sign over the entire 30 plant license or a proportional amount if I signed over something less... say $750 per month for 15 plants. This is in Canadian dollars of course, which happens to be pretty close to par anyway these days. Having never grown before and realizing that I won't be producing huge yields until I get the hang of things, has me waffling over what to do. I'm still not convinced it's a fair deal though. Any opinions or experience on what license transfers are worth?

I have another question having to do with the legal issues involved in allowing the plants to be grown somewhere other than the designated production site. She said that it is not necessary to let the government know that a different production site is being used. I have no reason to trust or distrust this person, but it is always better being educated on any given subject by as many different sources as possible.

I have 12 by 20 foot barn that is at present, proportioned up into a 12 by 8 foot growing area with a high barn shaped ceiling. I'm almost finished construction of a 12 by 8 foot loft area that is just high enough at the center to bring 15 plants through their veg cycle. So phase two, which I'm planning on starting in a week from now, will mean using the larger area to bring 15 plants only to maturity, while veging another 15 in the loft area. I'm hoping that this plan, while staying within the license restriction of thirty plants total, will almost half the cycle time in the larger bud room. Growing high yield plants must be a goal for any licensed grower, where the 'average' grower might be just as happy with many smaller plants in the sea of green garden style. I would by grateful for any hints, links, advice from anyone with experience and interest in growing larger high yield plants.

Thanks so much for making yourselves available for support like this. I'm looking forward to becoming skilled enough to offer help to others at some point myself.

Blue Skies,

Mike,

6. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Well you being licensed in Canada makes my info very limited since I am only familiar with California Medical Laws.

As for the business proposition, she wouldn't make the offer if it wasn't profitable for her. That being said, I know I could make a hell of a lot more $$ from 30 plants than $1500 a month. If you have the room and can veg them for a few weeks you can yield say 4 ounces per plant you could yield 3 3/4 pounds every month doing them on a rotating 15 plant schedule. I don't know what medical marijuana prices are like in Canada but in Cali a pound of good quality bud goes for between $3000 - $3600, you can do the math on that. Now if your prices are set by the government or something then you have to go off of that. But you get the ideal. As for allocating a portion of the plants to her, you could do that while you learn, I guess. As long as you make sure you can get them back when you are ready to go with more plants.

Here in Cali we don't have as restrictive plant number limits, so I am growing SOG in ENF tables, but you are gonna want to go with something like an Ebb N Grow Bucket system or a RDWC system, so you can grow fewer, much larger plants.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you. Keep at it though. We need more and more people to get involved in the industry and keep bringing more legitimacy to our industry and MMJ as a whole.:good job:

7. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

I was just with someone in a dispensary this morning. All they got was $1800 for a lb of some dank. We had it tested and it came in at 21.12% thc content! Fucking crooks if you ask me.

8. canadian123

canadian123 hemp ninja

I'm a medical grower in Canada.

What this lady is telling you sounds like a lie to me the tip off is that she doesn't want to you change where your designated growing area is. When your a medical grower you can grow for your self and 2 other license holders that's it. I have no idea what she's talking about "becoming a government grower".

As it currently sits there is only ONE government approved grower in Canada Prairie Plant Systems. Yes you can sell your surplus to Health Canada for next to nothing or you can sell it to a compassion club for more.

With just the information you have provided I would wager a guess she wants to use your license and sign up 2 more patients under you. If she doesn't want you to change the location on your license then there is something fishy and I would stay far away from her!.

Just some math for you...your license plus 2 more with 30 plant licenses would be 90plants. So 90 plants vegged 30days and flowered 60days would yield around 2oz a plant total of 180oz. She likely sells to a compassion club where she makes $7-10/g if its high quality lets say $7g 180x28= 5040gx$7= $35,280 aprox every 3 months.

She's offering you $1500 a month for a reason! I wouldn't walk away from her I would RUN!.....unless she up's her offer to about $5000/mth and even then you HAVE to change the location on your license or you'll be a criminal and so will she.

9. canadian123

canadian123 hemp ninja

The going rate to sell to medical users is $5/g or $2200 a LB if this person is just growing for them self and has surplus they are better of singing up an addition patient under their license. This will allow them to grow more, have more in storage and not get ripped off from the compassion club.

The Club in Toronto charges up to $15/g to patients who are buying from them. If they offered me $1800/lb or $4/g I would smack them up side the head these places are supposed to be NOT FOR PROFIT. They also give no discounts for weight its $15/g straight up so they pay you $1800 then sell for $6700 sounds like they are profiting to me and your friend needs to find another club to sell to or a license holder to sell to.

10. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

All the clubs do that around here. We are over frikin loaded with weed in cali. I personally think that if you are growing in cali and plan on selling to the clubs then you better grow a warehouse full. As far as the profit/non profit thing, anyone who thinks that the clubs are not making a profit is either stupid or ignorant. All the best with your grow man!

11. canadian123

canadian123 hemp ninja

Ah yes Cali is much different then Canada that's for sure here the only people that can grow are medical patients or someone who has been approved to be a designated grower. The average license is around 25plants in various stages of growth.

12. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I'm in Cali and yes the market is flooded, but I know for a fact that I can get almost double that for my medicinal ganja. There could be several reasons for this. Either your buddy grew some mediocre ganja (regardless of what it tested at), your buddy got raped by the dispensary cuz he didn't shop around a little bit for a dispensary that was offering a decent price, he was happy with that price, or the market is just that different from one area of Cali to another. I can't say which is the case here, but like I said, I know for a fact that the clubs around where I live are paying more than that for good top shelf.

13. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

You have to be a patient to grow here in Cali as well. The plant number limits are another thing though. The guidelines are kinda vague and can vary by county. The old limits that were on the books were struck down in our state supreme court and so basically if you're a collective grow, as long as you have a few patients you're growing for, you can grow as many as you need to supply those patients, however we always try and stay under 99 mature plants to avoid crossing a federal line that makes any federal charges much more serious if you have over 99 plants.

14. canadian123

canadian123 hemp ninja

I see I see I thought in Cali you could be a grower even if you weren't a patient and just sell to the clubs.....my bad....thanks for the correction.

Ya the average license here is 25plants and you can have 2 patients for a total of 75plants your spouse can also sign up 2 patients even if she is not one her self. If she holds a license to then you can have a total of 150plants and even more if the patients eat it and not smoke it the amounts can triple if that's the case.

Patients here can either buy government weed (GARBAGE) for $5/g. Get a designated grower to grow it for you at the same price as government weed but you get to choose your strain for the most part. The other option is to buy from a club for $10-15/g.

The clubs here will even match patients up with growers the problem for the most part every one here is on a "Organic" kick and I hate using organic nutrients indoors.

15. hydromorphone

hydromorphone Excommunicated

I was always under that you could be a caregiver without being a patient.

16. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

In Cali? Or elsewhere? In Cali I believe you can be a care giver for a patient without being a patient yourself, but that alone doesn't allow the caregiver to grow. I suppose as part of a caregivers duties, taking care of his patient's garden could fall under his duties as a caregiver, but it would all be possible solely because of the patient's recommendation and not just up to the caregiver.

17. canadian123

canadian123 hemp ninja

I know in Canada you can be a designated grower with out having a license your self. You can grow for up to 2 patients your spouse can also grow for 2 but you can only have a total of 4 licenses being grown at 1 address.

This is likely the reason the lady the OP has been approached by doesn't want him to change his address. She wants it to look like she is growing for him at his residence when she is not because she is already at her max at that address.