GTWT's first grow in a looong time!

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by greenthumbwhitethumb, Jan 18, 2017.

1. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

Ok folks, it's been a long time, but I'm back up and running!

Knocking off some rust, trying not to kill everything I touch!

I decided to stick with soil for the time being. I'm using RR's soil mix...
    Promix, perlite, blood, bone, & kelp meal, lime, epsoms, and worm castings for good measure.

I was gifted 4 Kosher Tangerines and 1 Green Crack clone (I killed one KT, oops).

(I also had seeds but I fucked that all up....)

I pulled clones about 3 weeks ago, only lost two so far. They looked good until this morning:

I still don't see roots in the two clear cups, so I haven't transplanted yet....

The original plants are 3 weeks into flower. They look pretty healthy, but they're leggy as hell. The Kosher Tang's has always had spread-out nodes, tho, but even the GC isn't as tight as I thought it would be. Do you think it could be a weak light? I know you only get good light out of a bulb for maybe 3 grows? (I have two lights, and I used one for 4 grows, and the other 2. Of course I didn't keep track of which one was which...) It's possible I have the more used light going right now. Was thinking of switching them out just to see.... I've always kept the light close, doing the hand test underneath so it's not too close. That's why I think it's my bulb???

If you've got some tips for those all of a sudden yellow clones, or those crazy leggy girls, lemme know!

SuperMoChombo likes this.
  2. greenthumbwhitethumb

Also, how do you embed a pic in a post? I used the little camera option and it gave me this dumb shit that you have to click on to see. :/ (Image asks for a URL...)

Gah. I'm so out of practice.

3. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

I open up a second tab showing my GK media, then copy and paste the BB image code of the desired pic (without the thumbnail) into the post on the first tab, then preview the post (in More Options) to see what it looks like.

4. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

I am on my second run of the Kosher Tangie ( aka tangelope ) now and it is one of the stinkiest plants i have ever grown. And yep, it is a stretcher in flower. Even after judicious topping in veg, that sucker went to 3 1/2 feet. I only got about an ounce from the last one but it is a strong buzz.

5. greenthumbwhitethumb

2 of the 3 started getting tall before I got my flower room set up, so I jogged them, and they're still super fucking tall! Now they're super tall, and super thick! I'd like to clear out some of the bottom shit soon, so more goes into the top.

It is a good smoke. I just got some bud from the mother of my clones - yum!

Thanks, smokey!

6. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

Look dry and hungry is all.

were the clones rooted when you put them into cups?

7. greenthumbwhitethumb

Nope, I cut them, scrape a little bit off the bottom of the stem, roll 'em in rooting powder, and then straight into the vermiculite.

They've never been dried out, but I did give them a little sip of diluted fish poo yesterday morning.

8. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Its normal for some yellowing to start as roots start to develope in cups. Hopefully you should see new growth soon.

9. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

Have you ever tried Aloe Vera cuttings for taking clones? Aloe has enough nutrients in it to help keep them lush during the rooting process. I dip my clones inside of my Aloe Vera cutting before putting them into the cloner. I try to avoid the powders and such.

10. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Is that a thing? In my head I was thinking of how you can root a rose bush cutting with a potato.

11. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

Yes, you cut the tip of an Aloe Vera "blade" and then dip the clone into the cutting. You can even dice the Aloe into chunks and soak your clones in water and Aloe before putting them into soil/cloners.

12. greenthumbwhitethumb

Interesting.... Next go around I'll pull a couple and try the aloe. I like the idea of not using chemicals and shit.

13. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Change of lights probably wouldn't be a bad idea, getting too leggy there. You can still pinch and bend those tall tops to get more light to the rest of the plant. If you aren't comfortable pinching just bend the the tops over and tie them down with string and clothes pins on the side of the pots to create an even canopy. It'll help keep you from getting too much popcorn buds from stretchy plants.

14. greenthumbwhitethumb

They're already jogged. I reckon I can yank and whip 'em around some more, tho I've never pinched, just tied down :cool:

15. SuperMoChombo

Pinching works a treat.

16. greenthumbwhitethumb

Can someone explain the pinching process to me? I'm not topping them, right?

17. SuperMoChombo

Sure. Pinching is simply squeezing stems a little in the veg or early flower phase to slightly damage the fibers. This has the effect of slowing the vertical growth of the stem temporarily while the plant repairs the damage you did. It also causes the plant to overbuilt the pinched section making the stem very strong in the area that was pinched.

I use this extensively. As my plants grow through veg I top them and get 5-7 "tops". They are usually not the exact same height, and I pinch the stems of the taller tops to slow them down and allow the shorter ones to catch up, getting a more even canopy, less shading, and more bud sites.

If you have a healthy plant you can shape it however you like really. Topping, pinching, LST, and PPB (Purposeful Plant Butchery) are the tools.

To pinch: select top too tall and hogging all the light. Gently pinch the stem where it is soft (usually 2-5" below the top and below a few sets of nodes) until you feel the stem collapse like a straw. You shouldn't pinch it so hard that it falls over. Just so it is crushed. If you do this in one spot you slow vertical growth of that top for a day or two. The more places you pinch and the more often, the slower the vertical growth.

18. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Shit..I do the same thing but bend them. Sometimes almost in half if it's the first week or so of flowering. As long as you don't actually 'crack' the stem it'll do fine. It's amazing how much abuse this plant can take. Just be slow and gentle. The amount of pressure needed can be surprising and it helps to soften the stem by slightly rolling it between your fingers while pressing.

A few years ago a buddy of mine decided to borrow a light and try his hand at a garden. It was his first and only garden and things got stretchy so I showed him how to pinch the tops down and bend them over. After the first plant he kicked me out of the garden. It can look scary the first time, but to the plant it's no big deal.

PPB..purposeful plant butchery. Maybe Gj should pick that up for his defoliation technique?:wink:

19. SuperMoChombo

I think he uses gas powered hedge trimmers, hatchets, flame throwers....

20. greenthumbwhitethumb

Aha! Yes, I remember now. I used to be all over this place, reading info and gleaning this and that. Well, I've got older and addled brains now, so I've got to re-hash everything!

Sounds fairly straightforward - I think I'll do that tonight, along with some undergrowth pruning - they're jogged, and there's so much mess near the bottom of the plant that's never going to get enough light.