HB-101 - Anyone ever heard of it?

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by Hank Chinaski, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Here's another product I've come across in the gardening section of the local home center.

They call it a plant "vitalizer." I just picked up a small bottle today. It was pretty expensive. Anybody ever heard of it? It might be available in the states, I'm not sure. They have a facebook page and here is a link to check out.

http://www.hb-101.co.jp/flora-e_html/hb-101/index.html

[​IMG]

After I try it for a while I'll post my thoughts on how well it works. I'm trying to find some kinda magic ingredients to super boost up my grows.

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

It looks like a fert that has been specialized for use also as a foliar feed by adding naturally occurring saponins (soap).

3. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

It's fertish, but it's "made from the essences of cedars, pines, Japanese cypress, and plantains", which seems odd to me. Also it was crazy expensive. I bought a small bottle, like 100ml, and it was 25 bucks.

I hope this stuff works out. I'm looking for some secret formulas.

:passsit:

4. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

Snake oil if you ask me.

5. ResinRubber

Thinking that's where they derive the saponins. All those plants have a history of use in soap making.

6. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

'Cause why?

7. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

1) There's no analysis of what's in it anywhere on the page (guess it's not required in Japan like in the US)

2) "All you have to do is dilute HB-101 with water" so it's actually not organic, it's synthetic.

3) There's so many ingredients in it, and in what proportions they give not an inkling of an idea. Using this product will make it tough to assert control over what nutrients you're giving your plants. You'll be making a lot of assumptions.

4) it sounds like Miracle Gro on steroids, and is probably more dangerous also.

I'm sure there is/are a (combination of) magic ingredient(s) to super boost your grows, and how you arrive at its discovery is for you to decide. However, instead of flipping coins why not think about it and see if you can come up with a few potential bottle-neck areas, and inspect them more closely?

Res, please, you are welcome to jump in on the brain-storm train.

8. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

How's that? So, if I dilute my apple juice with water it becomes "not organic"?

:eusa_eh:

9. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

It just makes my spidey sense tingle.

10. ResinRubber

Storm away guys:jj: Any foliar feed supplemented with a small amount of organic soap (glycerol + fatty acid) or a saponin (glycoside + lipophilic (fat) is going to improve efficiency. Simplified I know, but it gets the concept across.

The idea is to permeate the protective oils and wax on leaf surfaces to allow better absorption. It can also work as a suffocant for fungi or mildews as a side benefit. So the idea that the product could be effective is reasonable. Like Og, the only concern is what levels and sources of nutrients are being used? I'd easily consider it as a foliar (which seems the original intent of the product) but be slow to introduce it to my soil.

11. that gringo

that gringo Young Bud of GK

LOL... i love the manga on the front of the bottles

12. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Wow I did not know that. I might have to give that a shot.

Sorry Hank, I misspoke there and should've been clearer. Anything stating "just add water" translates to "this product entirely circumvents the soil food web, and therefore exists in stark contradiction to mother nature's processes." You are correct, HB-101 is organic, and so is apple juice no matter how much water you add to it. So are propane, butane, and pentane, or any other member of the Alkane family. In fact they are the purest organic compounds on earth, composed entirely of 4-bond carbons and hydrogens. Doesn't mean we should go pump 87 octane into our plants' soil.

13. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

How exactly does a fert needing to be diluted equal "circumventing the soil food web"?

You are right to say that just because something is organic doesn't necessarily mean it's good for your plants, but it doesn't mean it's bad for them either, so I'm not sure what your point is.

14. nobogart

nobogart Cured Fat Sticky Bud

well put some darn 87 octane on them and find out the hard way then.

15. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

I didn't do a side by side comparison or anything, but I've been using the HB-101 for my 600 tent veg cycle and the plants look great and have been growing very well.

http://www.hb-101.co.jp/flora-e_html/hb-101/ingredient.html

The nutrient listing shows it having lots of nitrogen, but doesn't list phosphorous or potassium at all. I've been running my used soil through a screen, adding some chicken poop and recycling it, as well. So, there must be plenty of Nitrogen in there. I haven't seen any nute burn, or deficiencies, at all. Everything looks healthy.

:read2: