Help first grow weird problems. Do you know what this is? HELP Any advice helps

Discussion in 'Pests and Plant Problems' started by Doug_xx2, Apr 4, 2017.

1. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

As you go through this for the first time, there are a couple of key pictures that you wish to take, especially if you intend to clone and grow the same phenotypes again: One when you flip to flower and one as each plant stops its upward growth. This makes it a bit easier to decide next time when to initiate flower and how tall you expect them to get. Here's my latest example:

This pic is the day after I flipped. This is a stretchy Sativa-leaning phenotype that has overflowed my cabinet before. I tucked the branches under the screen for another 10 days.
    [​IMG]

This one is at the end of stretch, 30 days later. Note that the length of the stretch time is one of those things that is phenotype-specific, but once you know how long it is, it doesn't vary very much. This particular plant ends its stretch at 29-31 days. I figure it's about 4x as big as when it started at the flip. At least this time I have room to raise the light if needed.
    [​IMG]

Do the best you can and if you screw it up, try again. Take detailed notes (and not in secret code, like I used to), and learn how to clone. Then grow the same plant again, using your knowledge of it from the previous grow. Someone told me that, when I first signed up here, when I asked about how to tell how to predict when the plant would be ready to harvest, two weeks ahead of time. Though I thought it was kind of weak advice at the time, after 5 years of doing this, my attitude has changed. All the different strains and their various phenotypes are indeed different. And they grow, eat, and live that way too.

One thing that I've noticed about cannabis growing is that no-one does it "perfectly". Everyone does it a little differently and no-one has ever been able to ask the plant if it would like to have just a little more of this or that. That said, there are quite a few people that seem to grow some very nice looking plants. Emulate their techniques.

Hang in there!
    OS

ResinRubber and Doug_xx2 like this.
  2. Doug_xx2

Doug_xx2 Active Member

That actually makes perfect sense to me since they are exact copies genetically in the same conditions they would behave the same way. I am gonna flip em and see what happens. A second trellis isn't out of the question if I need to slow up their vertical climb though. I just don't know how they would react to being gently bent over about 90 degrees durring the flower stretch. I thought the stretch was 10 days. It's 30? I have been waiting so long to let them develop more shade leaves since I stripped em so hard about 11 days ago. I didn't know if they would grow and make more at the beginning of flower or not and as hard as I tried I couldn't find where anyone said one way or the other anywhere. The only thing I could find was that they concentrate their production towards flowers so I assumed that they wouldn't regenerate and leaves and grow them bigger. Your cabinet looks awesome. Very neat and organized. My setup was upgraded as I bought components as I went along so it isn't as well laid out at all. :) I will make it better next time. I am not going to clone this time around. I did save 4 seeds from the same batch for my next one though.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  3. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

Stretch for my plant is 30 days. She will flower for 12 weeks. They're all a little different, with Indicas typically stretching less than Sativas.

Gently bending them before the flowers start to show doesn't seem to hurt my plants, though they do need time to get vertical shoots going before the stretch ends. The stems will stiffen up considerably as flower progresses and they'll become very resistant to bending without mashing the stem first.

Be careful with the whole defoliation thing... That there is the advanced stuff of the Gods... And MrG. I tried it last time. The plants didn't seem to notice the first defoliation at the flip. By week 3, it looked like it had never been done. It was the second defoliation that I had trouble with. My AC took a crap right after I took away the plants ability to keep itself cool by removing its leaves. It made the top buds totally stop growing.

Just because you have seeds from the same batch is no guarantee that they will give you identical plants to the ones you have growing now. They could be better or worse. Or just different. Clone them if at all possible, if just to learn how.

Thanks for the nice compliment,
    OS

Doug_xx2 likes this.
  4. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

That usually depends on the strain, sativas and saliva dominant cross will usually double in height when u flip to 12/12 and Indicas not so much.

Doug_xx2 likes this.
  5. Doug_xx2

Doug_xx2 Active Member

Yeah we are planning to move about a month after this one is done and moving a bunch of clones just seems like a real problem otherwise I would. Maybe next time. I did a defoliation about 11 days ago and I wasn't really planning on another just maybe a leaf or two where needed to open up tops to the light. What I was worried about was if the leaves that are still coming in since the last one will continue to grow and be big enough to sufficiently feed the buds through flower. Some of them are still kinda small. Decided to flip them today because I don't want them to be growing into the light before they finish. The height increase durring flower was something I forgot to take into account LOL. These are supposed to be a sativa dominant strain so...

I think 8 was too many for the first time LOL but had I done less I just know they would have all been male or something (just the way my luck goes).
    I was thinking about a second level of trellis to keep them from getting too big but if the stems are going to get to brittle to bend that is out. Shit! You say you did a defoliation at the beginning of the flower cycle and they recovered? That would mean they should still recover since my last defol was 11 days ago and they are most of the way there anyway. (That's good news)

Yeah man I think that hydro setup looks super duper clean
    My setup is a bit more haphazard.
    Soooooo much that is gonna be different next time.... Sooooo soooo much LOL. I just keep telling myself mistakes is how we learn what not to do though right? LOL Makes me wonder why I ain't a super genius yet though LOL. I got mine setup like this with barely enough room to walk my fat carcass around the dang thing and can't get inside of it at all gotta reach through windows or open up three sides of it to get to them all. gotta keep it open because I haven't devised a means to pipe the AC in without cooling it off too much. This tent is more trouble than it is worth (just the room will be easier to ventilate and cool. This entire process has been quite the cluster f@#k but I think I am getting it together. I am gonna flip tonight. Thankfully mrgreenjeans clued me in (knew I was gonna miss something). 20170518_140824.jpg 20170518_140849.jpg

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Relax, you're doing great and everything looks awesome. I'd flip to 12/12 lighting now if'n it were my garden.

Hydro stores are in it for the $$. Remember that every time you ask them for advice. Most folks online are guessing, that's why after you've stumped them they tend to ignore you. Here at GK we either know or we don't know and are willing to admit it. Woe be to those who try to fake it around here. (We're not always nice people.)

My local hydro store guys hate it when I'm around and a newbie is asking questions. Some cat could be asking how to deal with thrips or spider mites and they hand him $100 worth of sprays and treatments....then I chime in about a $10 bag of diatomaceous earth and $7 NoPest strip.

Stick around brother. We'll show you how to do it right for pennies vs wrong for mega-dollars. And yeah, this isn't rocket science. Don't buy the hype that growing decent weed is hard. It just takes finding what works for you and being consistent. The hard part is learning all the really cool things you can do with all those jars of cannabis and bags of trim like cooking, extracting, making hash, oils, tinctures, candies. Seriously, you keep putting out gardens the size you have now and there'll be more weed than you know what to do with. I'll go out on a limb since they look perfectly healthy right now and guess you'll pull 10-12 ounces your first run of 8 plants. First run and all your gear will have paid for itself.
    Unless you fuck it up......:dickhead:

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  7. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Yup, I'd flip them now too. As long as you keep them watered it really is hard to screw them up after all it is a weed. A damn good weed but still a weed. You are going pretty well now so I'd give myself a little pat on the back even if it is just to letting yourself know that you are doing fine so far. Also don't sweat the fan leaves. You don't need to wait for them to replenish themselves. Be careful trying things that some long time gardeners do. Get a couple of grows under your belt, then try the advanced shit. Also they are right, check out some of our first grows. We laugh at them when we see our own pictures. Good luck and keep it going. Keep asking all your questions here. We won't steer you in the wrong direction. We love getting people self sufficient.

Doug_xx2 likes this.
  8. Doug_xx2

Doug_xx2 Active Member

LOL I just spent an hour sealing up light leaks in a room I thought was sealed and taping off led lights. SMH ...
    Holy crap you think it's gonna be that much! Wow that would be nice. I never thought it would amount to that much. I hadn't really thought about what to do with it when I was done. I was thinking I would vacuum seal it in mason jars once it was cured (I already got a bunch). I love watching the plants grow but then I freak every time something small happens because I got so much money tied up into it. You guys have been pretty nice to me and I appreciate it. :) thank you
    I flipped em tonight.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone but I am sort of feeling like you guys are doing a lot of the brain work. Good news is I will know next time.

Lvstickybud likes this.
  9. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

...and that's what it's all about, just like the "Hokie Pokie".

Doug_xx2 likes this.
  10. Doug_xx2

Doug_xx2 Active Member

LOL

11. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

Make sure you dry and cure it properly before you jar it. A lot of first timers fuck an otherwise good crop up by not getting that right. Plenty of threads and good firsthand info about that here.

ResinRubber and Doug_xx2 like this.
  12. Doug_xx2

Doug_xx2 Active Member

I haven't studied that yet but I figured I had the next 65-75 days to figure it out LOL. I will definitely be looking that one up soon though. I thought about trying to get a set of bubble hash bags to cause I watched a video and it looked super easy. I watched a Canadian fella sifting on what looked to be silk screen frames to but not sure where to get something like that. :)

13. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Check out this site has to offer. Everything you ever wanted to do is on here somewhere done by almost everybody here. This place is a cornucopia of information. If you can't find out/ figure out how to do something on all of our forums, just ask. Some one here will direct you to the right place. Some other sites make some things look a lot easier than they really are or skip a step or two.
    But bubble bag hash is easy. You should look up some of the sifters that have been made here.

Doug_xx2 likes this.
  14. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Yeah....stay away from the frame sifters. Pain in the ass. Get a set of cheap bubble bags. You can dry sift with them, cold sift with dry ice, make bubble hash. It'll take three or four gardens to explore everything you can do with a set of bags. By then you'll pretty much know what you want to try next like iso and butane extractions.

Disco, another member, is thinking about putting up a rosin press thread with a twelve ton press. There's always something to try that somebody is posting about. But you have to get yerself some weed first.

Honestly, getting a few grows under your belt will fundamentally change the way you look at cannabis forever. Even if you stop and never grow again.

Doug_xx2 likes this.
  15. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Also, it's better to jar up dry weed than wet weed.

Doug_xx2 likes this.
  16. Doug_xx2

Doug_xx2 Active Member

Yeah I didn't figure spending the cashola on a rosin press was in the works this time (I did consider hijacking the wifes hot iron though :) She'll be wantin' to cut my nuts off if she finds out LOL) You really think 10-12 is a realistic estimate?? Holy shite! If I can sift with those bags I will definitely get a set then cause I was trying to decide between the screen and the bags (didn't know you could do both with 'em) Wish I could afford something like this guy is using.

Not thinking I am gonna blast with butane. I got a bunch of cans of 11x refined butane for my torch but I don't wanna fuck around and blow up my dang house. I could do some iso though so maybe we'll have to see

Yeah for sure I don't want a moldy mess :)

17. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

Get the bags, way more versatile.

Doug_xx2 and nippie like this.
  18. Doug_xx2

Doug_xx2 Active Member

day 89 4 days into flower and they seem to be filling out nicely 20170522_162607.jpg 20170522_162633.jpg

Lvstickybud and blazerwill420 like this.
  19. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I use butane. I always do it outside to be safe.
    The bags are nice and work well and much safer
    To slow vertical growth pinch one to two nodes below the tip of the growth till you feel the stem crush between you finger tips. Bend the stem at that crush point back and forth once at about a 15 degree angle and finish with the stem facing back up. Its know as super cropping.

20. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

I just super cropped the hell out of my outside stuff today. At least once a week til it flowers for me.

Doug_xx2 likes this.