Herb's new grow...

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by Herb, Feb 23, 2018.

1. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Looks like pot!

2. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Looking Purdy!

3. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Had to make some changes yesterday due to heat issues (getting into the 80's). Was hoping to do this grow much earlier in the winter and not have the need to hook up the cool-tube but things don't always go as planned. Since I don't have a lot of room in the grow area I had to position the light diagonally so I could hook up the ducts. I'm not as happy with the light pattern, but much happier with temps. Since I still have a long way to go I felt it best to get a handle on the heat now before it became a problem. I rotate my plants daily so they will all get good light.
    New Grow 03 14 18 004.jpg
    New Grow 03 14 18 002.jpg
    New Grow 03 14 18 005.jpg
    New Grow 03 14 18 010.jpg

OldSmokey and HeadCase like this.
  4. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

those cool tubes work wonders -Bud

Herb likes this.
  5. Justcheckingitout

Sweet set up on the light. The air ducts prob pulled up nice when you said the lights. I got a cool (lol) Idea now.

Herb likes this.
  6. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

They really do Headcase. Sucks all that heat right on out before it gets into the grow area. I am running the exhaust fan on a speed control setup so I can control heat through how fast (or slow) I run the fan. I was running the fan at 100% without the ducts hooked up and the temps were creeping up past 80F at the plants. Now I have the fan running around 30%-40% and temps are right at 70F. This gives me room to play with when my outside temps start to rise. I'm pulling air from under the house so that helps too.....temps under my house are much cooler than outside.

Thanks Check....you know me...I like to keep things simple and still get the best performance possible. This little setup works pretty damn good and is easy to raise or lower the light as I need to. Glad I could inspire you to cool ideas. That's what GK is about after all. :idea:

Mrgreengenes likes this.
  7. Justcheckingitout

Dam spell check on phone. I meant when you raise the lght the air ducks prob push up nice.

Herb likes this.
  8. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

Actually, and I'm putting my nerd hat on just to warn everybody...

The ripples in flex duct create Eddie currents perpendicular to flow that reduce the effective cross section of the duct. Per the international mechanical code, flexible ductwork is to be pulled taught between two metal fittings.

That said it does make it easy to move the light around, you will use less watts to move more air if the duct has a smooth interior.

The same can be done with adjustable B-vent pipe. This is available in up to 36" lengths that extend to 4-1/2 or 5' I think. Can be had in any diameter 3" - hugeness

If nothing else it would do you good to remove the excess so that it's taught at its most extended position.

Otherwise, with no nerd hat, it looks like it works as it is...but if you pay someone to install flex duct and it looks like an octipus, they should fix it for free...taught between two metal fittings...ok off my soap box :pimp:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    ducrider, Herb and blazerwill420 like this.
  9. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

You are correct Goblin. The ribbing also creates more sound from the air passing over them, but for my application I have no other choice. My old grow box incorporated straight pipe ducting and I'm sure was much more efficient. Not too worried about it though.

10. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Today was cloning day. I have a friend that wanted some clones and since I had already planned on topping the plants in order to get more tops I decided to try my hand at cloning again. been YEARS since I've done this but I think I remembered OK. Anyone remember my old chicken containers? :roll:

11. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

I can't seem to load any pics right now...keep getting an error message. Will try again later.

12. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

After the topping.

New Grow 03 23 18 014.jpg

13. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Did you take clones? It’s nice to see you growing Herb.

14. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Sure did. :bigok:

Notice the chicken container in the lower section of the picture? LOL! Love those things. :pimp:

ducrider and Mrgreengenes like this.
  15. Justcheckingitout

The chicken container, that's freaking awesome! :pimp:

Herb likes this.
  16. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

I've been starting my carnivorous plants in those very same chicken containers :roll:

Herb likes this.
  17. Justcheckingitout

do they eat chicken? :lmao:

18. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Today was transplant day. The plants have had sufficient time to recoup from the topping and were in great shape for their new homes. I was having some nutrient issues...or dare I say lack there of, but I have remedied that with some low-dose feedings of some old MetaNaturals 3-3-3 I still had on hand. I still love that fert even if it's no longer available. I'll use what I have till it's gone!

However.....the new medium is something I have been working on since Dec. 2016. A fresh new batch of AWESOME compost. I started building the soil as soon as I moved into my new house here and this stuff looks DAMN good. It's got every goodie you can think of in it too. I was saving this soil for just this purpose. Mixed in a little perlite and some Amend soil to lighten things up but so far the drainage is spot on. I'm really looking forward to seeing these plants grow now. This compost is what I have been growing in going on 7 years now for my veggie garden and it friggin rocks! Let the fun begin. :pimp:

New Grow 03 29 18 001.jpg

New Grow 03 29 18 006.jpg

AK Widow47....How about them roots eh? :bigok:

New Grow 03 29 18 007.jpg

New Grow 03 29 18 008.jpg

Chocolate Cream....LOVE those roots!

New Grow 03 29 18 010.jpg

New Grow 03 29 18 011.jpg

Gorilla Bomb.....

New Grow 03 29 18 012.jpg

New Grow 03 29 18 013.jpg

New Grow 03 29 18 014.jpg

Hashchis.....

19. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Continued.....

New Grow 03 29 18 015.jpg

New Grow 03 29 18 016.jpg

Sweet Soma.....

New Grow 03 29 18 017.jpg

New Grow 03 29 18 018.jpg

Whole grow in action. Had to lower the lights to accommodate the new pots but it all looks good. Even the clones are kicking ass....chicken containers RULE! :punk:

New Grow 03 29 18 022.jpg

New Grow 03 29 18 023.jpg

20. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

it is all looking great. kick ass root systems.

Herb likes this.