HHHG's new MicroSog

Discussion in 'The Growkind Gallery' started by HappyHappyHighGuy, Aug 15, 2008.

1. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

Cuttings - Arjan's Haze, Hawaiian Snow, White Widow, Hashberry
    Seedlings - Jock Horror, Northern Lights, Ice, Bubblicious

This is my first attempt at MicroSOG and perpetual growing.

The new setup allows many varieties in a very small area.

There are two flowering shelves that are each 24"L x 16"W x 30"H.

Lighting is (5) 42w CFL bulbs above each flowering shelf for a total of 420 Watts :ebert:

After cuttings and seedlings develop roots they will be transplanted to 16oz plastic bottles using the Hempy bucket method with 100% perlite, then straight into 12/12 so they stay short and develop one big cola.

Nutes are Pure Blend Pro.

[​IMG]
    Cuttings in bubble cloner in one of the flowering areas

[​IMG]

The seeds were soaked overnight in a jar of water. Any seeds that didn't pop after 24 hours were manually cracked open by putting gentle pressure on the two sides along the seems with tweezers until I felt a "snap." This will make it much easier for the plant to escape its pod once planted in the soil. The snapped seeds were then planted in 5oz cups of soil/perlite with drain holes drilled in the bottom. Plastic baggies were put over the cups to retain humidity. Holes were cut in each bag for ventilation.

[​IMG]

2. big t double

big t double i finally changed this

sounds like fun man.....i jus read about that hashberry the other day, i reallyd like to try that out......hows the smoke????? i ask cause you say youve got cuttings....im assuming you grew it before??? also, ive never heard of actually snapping open the shells of the seeds before you plant.....i use the soak in water method for em but ive never snapped the shell open physically myself......does it offer a higher germ rate too or is it only to help the seedlings shed the shell.......good luck with your grow man.....sounds like youre gonna have some good good weed ta smoke.....peace.

3. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

Looking very Interesting indeed HHHG!!!

HHHG my good man, its all looking exellent :bigok:

Lovin the set-up you got there, and loving the strain selection you have there also to grow out, lookinjg very much forward to witnessing first hand what these starins are like, especially the HASHBERRY, as i was really CLOSE to purchasing 10 from Sensi-seeds (Iff i remember correctly about the seed bank!)

Anyway, all is looking good. :) :sign13: , I have ONE question and im REALLY Wondering whats its all about as ive NEVER EVER even thaught it was possibly a Good Idea at all, or even HEARD of ANYONE EVER doing this, in GENTLY SQUEEZING THE SHELL of the SEED!?!?!?!? :ponder:

Very Strange methods that you saying your using, but inticingly interesting Indeed!:sign13: :) :smokin:

The SEED CRACKING is thee ONLY thing id SAY "NO" to, but then again, that my STRONG opinion,but NOT my grow.lol.

So go for it man, now that yav did it, and lets see the outcome/Sucess rate, as i Hope there all a good one for you, HHHG :thumbsup: :wink:

Keep up the very Interesting work my good man,

Grow-On,

UBB...........:pimp: :potleaf: :bigok:

4. SoTexGrowr1

SoTexGrowr1 Developed Alternating Nodes

I wish Mandala was still readily available, last I heard was that Mike the owner became ill and they stopped slangin seeds around to other breeders

Good luck

5. HappyHappyHighGuy

Cracking open seeds

This is my first time manually cracking open un-popped seeds. I read several articles on it and they seemed to have high success rates.

If you are afraid of crushing the seed, you can instead gently rub the seed on sandpaper before being soaked.

With either method, the idea is to make the shell weaker so the seedling is able to push it open.

6. HappyHappyHighGuy

Strains

This will be my first time flowering ArjHz & HS. I cut them from mothers I've had for a while.

It's also my first time to grow Jock Horror & Ice.

UBB - Hashberry is a nice smoke. Very smooth with a nice head/couchlock effect that doesn't glue me to the couch as much as my current favorite Indica dominant Great White Shark. It's very relaxing.

7. Gratitude

Gratitude Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

3 cheers for another HHHG grow thread!

Really looking forward to seeing how it works out!

Great line-up!

What's the range of flowering times on those strains?

All the best with the new set up!

Grat

8. HappyHappyHighGuy

Flowering times

Average maximum weeks flowering according to breeders...

Arjan's Haze (Greenhouse) 11

Hawaiian Snow (Greenhouse) 13

White Widow (Dutch Passion) 8

Hashberry (Mandala) 9

Jock Horror (Nirvana) 12

Northern Lights (Nirvana) 9

Ice (Nirvana) 9

Bubblicious (Nirvana) 9

The ones I'm looking forward to the most (Sativa dominant) take the longest time to finish.

9. HappyHappyHighGuy

Sprout time

3 days after putting them in a jar of water, some of the seeds are starting to pop their heads out above the soil. So far it's NL & JH.

10. HappyHappyHighGuy

Seed problems

I normally germinate in Rapid Rooters and have a good success rate, but I used bag soil and perlite for the first time.

I gently dissected some of my un-germinated soil cups to find a clump of mud at the bottom of the cups and seedlings that never had a chance. I had buried them too deep in too wet of soil.

The cups had plenty of drain holes, so did I just not have enough perlite?

I'm soaking more seeds to replace the ones that didn't make it and I will use Rapid Rooters this time.

11. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

Cool..... No problem.

DONT SOAK the soil first off, Try n place the seeds in approx down a disstance of the length of your Pinky finger to your First Knucle of that finger,in the soil, and place em there!:wink:

But the soil stays as it is, as purchased,put into a POT, and DONT soak it at all, just SPRAY ontop of the Area of where the seeds are placed, and do this every day(Enough) but not too much.

So a nice SPRAY over the seeded Area in the Soil where there Planted, and there ya have it....... Bobs your Uncle!!! :) The Seeds will have enough moisture to crack open and have enough soft Soil to Push through as well.

Hope this HELPS,

UBB...........:pimp: :potleaf:

P.S, Bassically Soaked the soil too much , as you stated yourself!!!

12. HappyHappyHighGuy

Thanks UBB

My soil ventures have had mixed results, from germination through flowering. I prefer other methods, but I have several big bags of soil in the garage I need to use.

13. hygrade

hygrade _________________________

looks good so far hhhg,good luck with it

14. HappyHappyHighGuy

Here's some more clones (this time in perlite) and some seeds I just planted after soaking 2 days in jars of water.

[​IMG]

After 1 week in the bubbler there are no signs of roots, so I started some new clones in perlite as a backup. I've never had much luck with bubblers. Hopefully the aquarium heater I added to the bubbler will help.

This grow is off to a slow start because of various mistakes, but that's to be expected since I'm using techniques that I have little to no experience with. I also lost several seeds by dropping them on the floor and being unable to find them. :angry:

Even though I used up more of my seed stock than planned, as long as I get 1 good female of each of the 4 strains then all is good :smokin:

15. Gratitude

I feel ya!

That's where I was a few months ago, I had my worst success rate ever on my purchased seeds...I'm not sure what the problem was but they germed on the paper towel and then never grew up from the soil...

I ended up with the Fems I need, one of each strain, but only 5 plants survived out of 12 seeds, only 2 didn't germ on the paper towel.

I use a wick cloner w/perlite but that tub you've got looks simpler. Is there any more to it than just a tub with perlite and plastic wrap?

Best of luck! Fingers crossed for Females!

Grat

16. HappyHappyHighGuy

I watered the perlite until it was floating, then drained off the excess water and planted the cuttings in it. I leave the plastic wrap on for 2 days, then start taking it off a little bit longer each day until it is no longer needed after 7 days.

The mothers that I took the clones from that went into the bubbler were not healthy enough to keep them all alive until they root. The ones I put into the perlite were very healthy and should have a better success rate.

17. HappyHappyHighGuy

Another perlite cloner

I got this container with attached lid for $2 at walmart and filled it with fresh cuttings

[​IMG]

18. Gratitude

Thanks!

My only complaint with the wick cloners, are you ready for this?, the roots grow into the socks/wicks and sometimes tear when I remove them. Next time I'm gonna try a smaller version of what you've shown, no wicks to get caught up in, no risk of spilling water while trying to hold nested 20oz bottle bottoms together... Good looking out!

Grat

19. HappyHappyHighGuy

Cloning

I've never tried wick cloning. I've had the most success using an aerocloner, but it is too noisy.

I usually have good luck with Rapid Rooters, but I'm trying to get away from using items that are only available online or from grow shops. So that's why I'm using perlite now, plus it's silent.

20. HappyHappyHighGuy

Box

Wal-Mart had several sizes of the box I bought. They had a couple smaller ones and some larger ones.