Hollow stems

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by blkbltstd, Aug 11, 2008.

1. blkbltstd

blkbltstd Germinated

I grew 7 plants from 12 seeds. When I harvested the plants, 6 of them had relatively poor amount of bud and had hollow stems--almost like bamboo. The seventh was fine. Anyone know what caused the "hollow" stems"

2. "The Master"

"The Master" Time Lord

I often find the middles of stems to be hollow. I can't say if it's that case for every inch of stems, but I will say, I notice it with good yields.

To some degree? it must be part of the maturation process, but I don't know as to any direct relation to your yeilds :)

I also can say in green, or new stem growth? I don't seem to find the hollow center deal.

I also know you'll get some more answers later on tonight. You and I both will be eager to hear what the folks say. At least you got them to harvest. It could've been worse. Keep working it, friend. :)

3. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

hollow stems are usualy a sign of good potency in marijuana and when im looking for breeder females tis is one of the items on my check list---low yeilds im not sure would play into hollow stems or not-----tweek your grow methods id say.

4. SMARMY

SMARMY Cuban Bee

can you explain how hollow stems = potency???????

5. skunkrnaught

skunkrnaught Flying magic hemp carpet

hollow stems = potency

I really need to hear this oops I mean read this:icon_confused:

6. "The Master"

"The Master" Time Lord

hmmm. Well, when I make cuts for clones? I notice the stems are green, and the centers are white? and full of, uh, plant stuff?

Older, dried type stems, often seem to have the empty space in the middle? I'm no expert on this issue, as since I can almost never smoke it myself? I make Mrs. master do all of that cleaning, trim work, drying and jaring, since she is the main one benifiting from the stuff. :angry: "Bitch," just kidding, I love her, she don't get random tested, "Bitch," oh, sorry. I don't mean that, much.

I've NO way of relating hollowness of stems to potency, but perhaps others have some insight? :qbluewacko: I'm VERY open minded to new things. I used to feed my junk orchid food in dirt pots,(nothing against soil grows!) and spray them with fish poo before I started haunting GK. I've picked up ALOT of golden nuggets around here.

If someone can make the relationship of hollow stems to potent buds? I'm SO willing to listen, I'm not being sarcastic in the least.

If you have a theroy, please share with the group. I won't mess with you. :eusa_shifty:

7. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

im sorry im unable to explain any sience behind hollow stems and potency however i do know from my personal experience that when im upgrading a strain ive always searched out the hollow stemed males/females to use in pollenation with my girls because all the breeding books read have said this was the way to go and in my oppinion they were right because ive done well with there advise and am passing on what i know to be true so you can beleave it or not or perhaps go read a few books on breeding yourself and take it from there im sure you would like to know who wrote these books right????? george cervantis/ed rosenthol/dj short as well as plenty of other well known breeders so if you want to get the sience behind it then just read all about it for your self--------my oppinion is the same----hollow stems are great indicaters of potency---nuff said.

8. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

im going to just assume that ill have at least 3-4 of ya jumping on me to print word for word the magic sience i speak of in regards to hollow stems so monday im going to do just that and print ya all what ya need to read so just hold on till then and you will get what ya want.

9. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

well its tues and still havent been able to locate the box of books ive stored to quote word for word the magic sience THE MASTER is waiting for on hollow stems and yet nobody has jumped me about it--yet--come on MASTER what ya waiting on----im easy pickings right now----love ya to jump in and get stupid about what i said cause tomorrow im going to shut your yap fer ya and the next time you will just bow--------oh dont get mad when it happens-----just know wwboy has done this for 15 yrs and you wont be the one to tell me anything cause ive done all my homework and paid my dues---so whats up---let me have some more of your wiseass remarks----im waiting.

10. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Damn dude someone rape you with no lube or something!? I didnt see anything negative, just people asking for an explanation. I haven't been growing for 15 years but I've got good experience with mj and horticulture period. Lets think about hollow stems for a second what does it mean? Well that for a given diameter a hollow stem is going to have less phloem and xylem. What's that? The vasculature system of the plant that moves water, nutrients, waste, etc. other than the roots. I've only seen hollow stems when I have nutrient problems and didn't meet the requirements of the plant because when I refine everything the second time around everything works out great and no more hollow stems. Also, on plants I have seen this with in my experience the second time around when the hollow stems stopped the yield was larger, which makes perfect sense. Maybe there are some strains out there no matter what will retain hollow stems but never seen it myself. All the seeds and clones I've grown that I have seen this in, like I said before was corrected the next round or so. Not sure how potency could be connected to hollow stems. Seems the plant would benefit from having a better vasculature system and able to aquire and move nutrients more efficiently to fuel the biosynthetic pathways associated with conversion and production of THC. So when you find your info post it, but I find it a hard to believe. Also, when were these books published? If in the 60-70's you might as well discard it, hell they didn't even know about DNA then they thought life was determined by proteins and most scientist at the time refused to realize DNA's importance even when presented to them. Lots of things have changed and we understand a lot of things better than before.

snickelfritz likes this.
  11. snickelfritz

snickelfritz Weed College Hall Monitor

No one has been wise assed towards you in any way wwboy.

All everyone wants is a verifyable answer, or published documentation from a credible source to support your claims.

Please back up your claims with something more substantial than an exchange of insults. Until then, your reputation here will suffer for it.

Thus far, all you have shown is a lack of maturity on your part.

Let's keep things civil.

12. mohouse

mohouse Choke'n And Smoke'n

my 2 cent

Well I'm a noob first off. but oddly enough I was :read2: the glossary of Jorge Cervantes "Marijuana Horticulture The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Growers Bible" and on page 446 the word was cellulose. It has 2 pics :potleaf: of stems 1 with a little hole in the middle from a outdoor grow and 1 with a big hole in it from an indoor grow. Now this is where my :2c: comes in. I'm assuming its the wind making the determining factor of the hole. So it could be that the plants closer to the fan have little hole while plants to the rear have bigger holes :) Well thats just my :2c:

P.S. Sorry couldn't find anything related to potency yet :smokin:

13. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

first of all i am not at all inmature--it appears as if my rep has already suffered due to some sort of red square by my name that is upsetting to me but if that is part of the game then id say inmature is on the hands of the person who red flaged me for saying what i beleive to be fact------------years ago people would say to me that my grows suffered from nute defs because i played around with purple and black grows tryen to explain that this was the natural god given dna shown in these strains-------i was laughfed at and told i put food coloring in my grows------now its comon to except the blueberries------i wrote a published articale for hightimes on the wick system back in the early 80s and was laughed at----been breeding marijuana for 10 15yrs now and most everything i say is purley firsthand experience just like all the better known breeders------why take there word for it?????????? in 2003 dj short wrote a book called cultivating exceptional cannabis----on page57 he wrote thatinformation borrowed from michael starks(MARIJUANA POTENCY) in regard stem structure that large hollow main stems are SOUGHT while pith filled stems are eliminated --dj short said that by years of observation-hollow stems DO SEEM TO FACILITATE thc prodution .--ive read a number of books early in my breeding and what ive said is nothing more than than an observance these breeders and myself have noticed ------i breed great marijuana and it just seems as if i was blown off as a person talking about BS ----i stand up for truth--wouldnt steer anyone wrong--and take offence that my rep has been downgraded because of what i thought to be good solid advise from stuff i KNOW---im not going to go on about hollow stems but just think about it--ya got fair genetics and cut a bud youll see a hollow stem------a solid pith filled stem is most times a waste of grow---HEAR ME NOW AND BELEIVE ME LATER.

skunky and snickelfritz like this.
  14. snickelfritz

It would have been much simpler and less "dramatic" if you had simply referenced your information to begin with instead of lashing out at those who questioned it. We are always having to "weed out" pardon the pun, incorrect information.

This site is about information and learning.

For a little more help on the subject, I've researched the topic and found many threads on other forums. Here is one.

From Subcool: (Who I believe to be a reliable grower)
    HERE

which does contain

I have also found other threads / articles that reference the same information. Citing Michael Stark's book, and others that cited
    Dj Short's "Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis" and also The Art of Breeding//Producing Exceptional Seeds.

Again, all anyone asked for was where you got the information. The rep hit you received was simply from the defensive posture that you took when questioned about your sources of information.

Always remember... We're all a bunch of stoners.

Misunderstandings like this can be easy to get into, and also easy to correct.

As I stated in my comments to you when I gave you negative rep...
    "IF you can adequately back up your comments, your reputation can be restored."

And, it has.

We are not inflexible here. We simply want to keep the boards running smoothly, and without drama.

15. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

thankyou-----ill say im sorry---hope the master forgives me and ill leave it there.

16. choker

choker HIDING OUT

I was going to post something about that myself. I have the same book.

17. cjb03

cjb03 Full Flowering

Holy run-on sentence, Batman.

18. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Going to have to check that out. You know Cjb made a good point about the comparison with the indoor and outdoor plants. I wouldn't doubt if suppercropping just fills the stems and I've honestly never ever grown a plant without suppercropping besides my first two grows. But the first was all male and the second got chunked before harvest.

WWboy, man glad to see the way you responded man. Don't get discouraged everything has its nay sayers. I'll have to read into this more and see what all I can find, would be nice to see their notes or data on this. That would for sure be interesting to see. If you happen to know if any of that is in that book or any others you may know of let me know.

19. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

skunky----yeah ill look for some other shit on the topic for ya but really man i just know what i know man and like i said im not ever going to steer anyone wrong-------as for super croping ---hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!---im always beating the shit out of my girls-- it WILL build strong stems and they wont be filled with pith but that was never my point-----i guess what i was refering to was the NATERAL tendancy to go hollow in the 4--6inch tips of your plants--hell i dont even care anymore how people question me on here--ive come so far and ive studied-observed how plants react for so long that i forget people will blow me off unless i write a book------------dont want any drama---i just tried to give a statment i felt was honest is all--think this is a trip wait till i speak of swamp growing outdoors using straw bails-- ill catch more crap than a litterbox--yap with ya later.

20. snickelfritz

LOL, that's a good one! I may have to steal that somtime.:evil4:

Prolly a true statement too... Pics and a grow journal will keep the naysayers at bay.
    :)