Hortilux grow

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by nippie, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

Sweet garden man, looking forward to the results of this

2. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Thanks GiT. It's coming along. I had a little heat build up there for a second dealing with the exhuast issue but I still have three weeks and pretty sure everything should make a full recovery.

Res....talk to the store today. They can get me Rocket Plasma$893 out the door. I may be doing a January grow under one, just gotta convince the misses it's a good investment. She thinks it's a waste of money because we can get two more ballast/bulbs/hoods for the same price if not a little cheaper

3. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Hey nippie, real nice grow you got going on man :thumbsup: lOVE THE GROWTH RESULTS. :coolbounce: what strain is it?

By the way, get a real good bud shot because I'm not going to enter the next Bud contest. Anyway [​IMG]

I have to agree the super blue I run from Bloomarang is much cooler than the HPS bulbs. and I get almost no stretch. I'm sure that's because I flower the first two weeks with the super blues.

4. nippie

two different strains, well kind of three.

1/2 table is blue widow and the other half is two different phenos of chocolate rain, one really does have a hint of like a baking chocolate..kind of sour creamy-dutch, the other is like diesel fuel or something. Beans I got from esko a few years ago.

I can't decide between the two as they both phenos because they both have their upsides and both are great smoke. The biggest problem is not being able to label something chocolate rain, I have to do cr1 and cr2. I told my wife no one believe the cr2 is chocolate rain because it seems like nyc diesel

The super blue seems to run much cooler and than hps. Both temp wise and also I think the plants just handle the intensity a little better. I'm totally out of head height so I can't raise anymore, you can some damage (fox tail trying to start) so I figured I would go ahead and make the change early since I was testing things this run anyways.

But I used blue for the first two week and it seemed to tighten node space. Not to say it was comparable to bush master or products like that, but I think I would do it again but it's kinda of obscene to run out and buy 4 more super blue bulbs at $200 a pop for the other lights. But I think MH is way more natural to do than running bushmaster

Since I dropped the cash on the dehumidifier I may through that into the mix as well. It will only drop the RH to 35% but I'm usually around 55-60% so maybe that may change trich production also. I know I shouldn't test multi things at once, but honestly I think you have to get RH down to about 15-20 to increase production. More interested in if a MH can actually create enough uv b without the glass to change things.

That being said I may run out and drop the cash if my trichs grow out like an inch or something crazy like that but I'm sure so would everyone else too :roffl: I don't think it will make a lot of difference, but reading around on the net, don't know who to believe so I figured I'd form an opinion and share it here

But after this grow I'm going to have plenty of product reviews for the ballast, bulb, hood, and the new filter. I don't know if you seen that on the vent thread; but i can say I really like the new in line filter. Totally killed the smell, totally, whats even better is that it's almost like a muffler also. It's not as good as the mufflers I have but it does drastically reduce the noise in my opinion. It would be great application for those with super close neighbors, have traditional can at the start of your exhaust then have one of those on the exit. Hell you could prob grow next to a cop shop and them not even notice

PS I got my eye on a bud already, I'm hoping it fills in nicely like it looks like it wants to do

5. nippie

fuck hortilux at the moment.

fucking ballast died on me, it's not even two months old and the fucker is dead

FUCK THEM!!! I gotta drive 90 minutes now and to return this piece of shit and I don't even know if they have another. I'm sure the store will loan me a ballast while this one gets worked on but totally ruins a test grow that I spent so much time and energy on.

I can't wait until monday so I call hortilux myself.:321fu:

6. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Nippie, now tell how you really feel. :5eek:

That does suck though.

7. nippie

yea sorry about the language boss.

but all the time and effort and money I have spent on this one grow. just totally bummed me out. I could have easily put this in the other room and not had the venting issues and and all the extra money but I wanted a solo test with no outside light.....and this is what I get in return.

They have replaced the ballast for me and are contacting hortilux. They assured me that hortilux will give me a bunch of free stuff next week to apologize.

You ask $400 for a ballast and you can't even make the toggle switch right. I used that switch 3 times since I had and had to make 3 trips to the store because of it.

But lights back on, only lost 6 hours. More annoyed than anything.

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

More hassle than anything else. :bong2:

9. nippie

day 56

sorry forgot to post update last week

but we are day 56, no major changes, just rippening up another week or so and should be chopping, the out side of the table are totally ready, the inner is about 70-80% cloudy, got to get a better gauge tomorrow

It smells great though....really really great :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Nice shots :thumbsup: damn fine looking. Keep this up and I'll need a box of tissues.

11. nippie

868 :coolbounce::coolbounce:

:coolbounce::coolbounce::coolbounce:

next up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Broski...fuck all that 400$ shizzle....spend the 110 and do the hydrofarm standard mag ballast....I got 2 just for a backup, 600 & 1k....too cheap n reliable not to atleast have in stock in case

For the record, only ballasts that ever broke on me were two of the same exact type...switchables! Fuck them things

13. nippie

I don't know my man, I've always used lumatek and been rocking some galaxys as well but this is the best gram/watt light I've had all year and it was done half the time under MH. The only real other change was adding beneficial bacteria and no way that would make that big of an increase.

I KNOW from experience bulbs matter, not like double or even 25% increase but for sure 10%+...I've seen that myself and will always tell people to buy the better bulb because a 10% increase is huge return for some if you know what I am saying

But I think there maybe some validity to correct wave length or whatever their selling point is. If platinum gives me an extra 5% every run on top of the gold, it's worth the investment

End of the day, good solid run, very very happy because it's some good smoke.

BUT, overall I think hortilux needs to improve this ballast. The switch is very pratical and seems like a cheap add on. I will have a write up on it explaining why in the next week or so

14. ResinRubber

The bennies do more than you might think.

Switchable ballasts seem a good thing for closets or tents. They seem a bad thing for multiple light or larger grows. Just one more thing to possibly fail. If you're growing in a designed space it simply makes sense to design it for a specific light coverage. At least imho.

Really nice log Nip. Thanks brother.:thumbsup:

15. nippie

Yea, this was my first time running bennies, what's nice was not doing a weekly change but letting go 10-14 days without a single issue nor stink. I've usually tried to do sterile runs but I think I like bennies. MY only concern running into the colder months is what temp to keep ressy at so they can survive. Putting in a fish tank heater is an option but I bet I break one in the first month because they can't be on and hit air

Maybe bennies do more that I think, whatever the case is I'm sticking with both because I am very VERY happy.

BTW, to clarify...this isn't a dimmable ballast. IT's on/off switch that seems like a great idea, but it's absurd to have such a basic part fail on the ballast and have to return it.

This is one of the only brands of ballasts that I have seen in a few years that's not have a dimmer switch on it. You buy 1k you get 1k

16. ResinRubber

Why not pick up a 17w seedling heat mat and put it under the res to keep warm? Waterproof, low energy use and temp limited to something around 78F. Seems a workable inexpensive solution.

17. nippie

genius

18. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Great results nippie too bad so much aggregation...

19. ResinRubber

I dunno about that. :roffl:

The pump head for the barn froze the other night and I didn't want to run to the store for heat tape to thaw it. Took an old seed mat and taped it to the pump handle/head. Covered it with a towel and shoved an old garbage can over the whole works. Next morning everything was great and the head was barely warm to the touch. Figures it'd work the same way on a res. Necessity more than thought.

20. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Res you are a modern day Dr Frankenstein