How much AC power....

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by ResinRubber, Jul 8, 2015.

1. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

....do you guys use?

Recently upgraded garden size and am finally learning the headaches of AC in larger grows. Right now about 25% of my power use goes for AC in a HPS lighted flower room. So, for example, a garden drawing 50 amps on lighting uses requires 12 amps of AC draw. Is this normal?

Any advice or insight appreciated because this alone is making me want to save for some LED's but I've yet to see how they do in larger rooms.

2. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

15 amps for 45 amps lights from experience.

A split unit or something along those lines will save you in the long run because portables are pretty inefficient.

Calculate your area (entire room of course), then look at the BTU calculator, use the Kitchen as your BTU standard not the normal room size. Even then I would go next unit up in BTUs.

How big and how hot an area you thinking?? Because if you are just high 80s, that's easier to cool than mid 90s

3. nippie

15 amps for 45 amps lights from experience. Basically an 15 amp straight from the box per 3 k lights (or 6 600s). AC unit itself might only draw 10-12 amps but you need the kick on room you know

A split unit or something along those lines will save you in the long run because portables are pretty inefficient.

Calculate your area (entire room of course), then look at the BTU calculator, use the Kitchen as your BTU standard not the normal room size. Even then I would go next unit up in BTUs.

How big and how hot an area you thinking?? Because if you are just high 80s, that's easier to cool than mid 90s

4. ResinRubber

Let's call it a 150 sq/ft flower room with 3000w HPS. Draw is just under 30 amps. 12,000 btu AC draws 9.4 and keeps everybody nice and comfy in the high 70's low 80's. Guess the first thing to do is to save for a mini split.

5. JuggaloKing420

JuggaloKing420 Just clownin around

I use a 12k for 2400w. I can put the room in the high 60's @ 100f outside.:coolbounce:

6. ResinRubber

So I'm not out of range then. Thanks guys.:thumbs-up:

7. nippie

Remember exhaust for it and also drainage which is nice cut no worries about mold

8. ResinRubber

:thumbs-up:

9. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

That's about the size of my flower room, only half that much light though and a 12k does the job allot better than the 10k I had in there. I had 2 units on one 20 amp circuit and had to up it to a 30 amp with no issues.

10. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

rule of thumb is 3500 btu per 1kw light.

11. Annunaki

Annunaki Developed Alternating Nodes

Not exactly scientific , but 1 watt equals 3.4btus. So add up how many watts of lights your using and multiply buy 3.4 . Then you know how many btus you need to cool. A higher effiency unit is going to save on power obviously. Plus if your using air cooled hoods then that throws a curve ball in , need less btus.

12. ResinRubber

Thanks again guys. More info is always good.

Was considering plumbing the lights for dedicated airflow but really hoped it wouldn't come to that.