How to decarboxlyate ganja

Discussion in 'The 'Kind Kitchen' started by TheCarpenter, Nov 14, 2008.

1. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Everybody knows not to eat raw ganja, it's just a waste. The reason for this is the co2 preventing your body from fully digesting the THC. To remove the co2 from the mj, or decarboxlyate it, you must do the following:

1)Remove any seeds if you're using shitweed.
    2)Grind the buds in a coffee grinder.
    3)Arrange the shredded weed evenly in a flat-bottomed glass cooking container.
    4)Cook the ganja in a 220 deg. oven for 20 minutes.

You must be very careful with step 4. I highly recomend buying a decent oven thermometer to ensure your oven doesn't go over 220 deg. Even 225 for 10 min would vaporize your weed. After it has cooled, you can use it raw in any recipe you like (I like mixing with melted chocolate and making candy), or you can buy a cheap capsule making machine and make your own Ganja Capsules. If you're using good buds, two or three capsules and you'll be feeling great for hours.

Enjoy

gizmo_barks likes this.
  2. NeonLights

NeonLights Excommunicated

If I am not mistaken THC starts to break down over 200 degrees.

3. FieldsofOH08

FieldsofOH08 New Sprout

This is a quote from another site:

"THC vaporizes at about 380°F. We want to heat the cannabis to convert THCA to THC, but keep the temperature under 380°F. That is why 325°F is used. Between four and five minutes your oven (and house) will start to smell very strong. This is the time to remove the cannabis from the oven.

Notice also that there is considerable misinformation regarding heating the cannabis. It is true that you don't have to heat it to extract both THC and THCA, but the amount of THC in whole plant preparations is relatively small compared to after decarboxylation of the THCA. So if you want to maximize the strength of your tincture you must heat the cannabis prior to extraction"

There are other recipes quote temp/time @ 200/20min

Peace.

4. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

220 works for me all the time. You will smell it if it starts to vaporize at all.

5. thinktank

thinktank Coco grower, hash sifter

How many grams per dose (light/medium/strong) do you take using this method?

How efficient is it compared to smoking/vaping?

6. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Depending on capsule size, I'd say they hold about 1/8g -1/2g. I use medium sized capsules, and get about 50 capsules from a half ounce. Three capsules of white widow, and I'm pretty high for a few hours. It's not as effecient as vaporizing/smoking, but its also a different kind of high (deeper, long-lasting). Plus, the capsules are really nice when smoking isn't an option. Carry them in an herbal vitamin bottle, and pop a few when you need them. Start with one or two, and go from there. Best to see how they affect you.

7. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

The temps neon pointed out, THC vaporizes at around 200*C, the oven is using *F. So 220*F is only 104*C. Sounds like a mess, and a sticky mess at that!

8. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Whatever you say....I just know it works.

9. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

And it's not the least bit messy, or smelly.

10. gizmo_barks

gizmo_barks Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

good idea

i remember reading a book that said grass needed to be heated to get u high. like in a bong or in brownies ( i didnt remember why until your post). this is a good idea for people who cant, or prefer not to smoke, and still need meds. good thread. :ebert: i might try it. peace

11. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Thanks Gizmo. The capsules are easy to make, and I make 50 at a time in less than an hour. The capsule maker and capsules were less than $20 at the local health food store. The high lasts for hours and it's easy to regulate. 1-3 for a mild high, 4 or more for a crazy high (can be very intense).

12. low heat cooking question

:icon_scratch: Do you think the buds would heat up enough to have a high effect if I were to slow cook them in a dehydrator at a temp of 118 degrees for a long time? Would I smell it vaporizing at any point? I want to incorporate the meds into raw food treats like flaxseed crackers which as a rule take 24 hours or more to cook (at 118 degrees). Everything soaks and marinades for 24 hours before going into the dehydrator. So I'm thinking I'd put the bud in with the veggies and flax seeds for the presoak too. These would be for my healthy eating patients to offer a good buz while pumping up their enzyme intake.

13. fifey

fifey New Sprout

hmmmm....

I didn't even know that just straight baking your weed like this was an option (I obviously have soooo much to learn) LOL

Sounds pretty cool!

14. bud-e

bud-e Germinated

Just so I'm not confused, we're talking about degrees F, not C, right?

15. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Yup, deg. F