How to: Make Cannabutter. (pics)

Discussion in 'The 'Kind Kitchen' started by SecretGrower420, Mar 21, 2010.

1. SecretGrower420

SecretGrower420 Baked as fuck

Hey GK, I'd first like to say that this information was originally posted by Captain Skunk at opengrow.com, and I'm taking ZERO credit. I liked this recipe and I want to share what I found. (I cleaned it up a bit and added some notes from other posts in that thread.)

Here's what you'll need:

- 1 pound of butter (per cup of trim/buds)
    - 2x pots
    - Some cheesecloth (or old T-shirt)
    - Heat source (stove or hotplate)
    - A container to store the finished butter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 1:
    Put the butter into a pot and cook on LOW.
    [​IMG]

Step 2:
    Add your trim or buds to the butter.
    [​IMG]

Step 3:

Mix the two ingredients until the butter begins to bubble again.
    [​IMG]

Step 4:

Once your done mixing, put the lid on and simmer for about an hour, while stirring every 15-20 minutes to prevent over-heating.
    [​IMG]

Step 5:
    Line your other pot with several layers of cheesecloth.
    [​IMG]

Step 6:
    Spoon or pour the mixture into the cheesecloth-lined pot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 7:

Gather the corners of cheesecloth and gently push the butter through the cloth into the pot.
    [​IMG]

Step 8:
    Pour you final product into measured containers, and allow to cool.
    [​IMG]

Now that its cooled, the butter can be used in any recipe that calls for regular butter, or can be stored long term in the freezer almost indefinately.

Other notes:
    -Some people like to use water, but it is an unnecessary time-consuming step. People believe that water will take out the green color and bad taste in your butter but it is untrue, and your butter will have a green tinge no matter what.

-Over-heating or over-cooking can result in a more green tasting butter. Similar to vaporizing, once the trichomes have melted away, the unwanted plant material (leaves and stems) begins to cook into the butter, so anything after the hour of simmering, will begin cooking plant material into your butter, and you will also be wasting time.

lukesmommy likes this.
  2. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

nice sg!!! :cool-pix: i really like the pics as well. thanks for posting!

i like this recipe and will have to try it... i'm currently using the crockpot method, which also adds water. here's the butter i just made last week:

[​IMG]

Awesome thread!!! thanks again man! :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

Peace

-LM

3. SecretGrower420

I thought it was a good tutorial too, which is why I re-posted it.

Hows the potency of your butterÉ

(question marks appear like this ÉÉÉÉÉÉ wtf lol)

4. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

It's pretty darn potent this go round! And i made 3 lbs of it this time, too! i had been saving trim, popcorn buds, and vaped bud for a while. i'm hoping the butter will last me for a lil while too.

thanks again for the thread!

Peace

-LM

5. bamboo

bamboo Veggy Stage

alcohol

A good idea is to add a splash of your favorite liquer ,as it helps to extract the resin and can give your butter a nice taste .I do mine in a slow cooker for about 2 hours.Two cookies and im going for a space ride ,damn good.:popcorn-2:

6. SecretGrower420

I'm not sure the science behind it, but liquor won't help extract. The heat from the stove melts the trichomes into the butter, and it's done after that, no alcohol needed. It only takes about an hour for that to happen, and once you've passed that point your just cooking more plant material into the butter, which will give it a more green taste. You'll smell the plant material cooking once you've passed the point of extraction.

I suppose alcohol would change the flavor though.

7. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

I've been making cannabutter for alot of years and have tried many different methods.

This is what I do . . .

I use a large crock pot, put 7 lbs of REAL butter in it then wait until the butter melts. I only do this to allow me to add the trim.

I then add as much trim as I can fit into the remaining space in the crock pot.

I cook all of that on low for several hours. I often leave it overnight and I can't tell any difference. I'm sure I could get a less pot tasting butter if I cooked it for an hour only, but I really love the way it comes out.

NEVER use margarine or water, it's a waste of time and has no practical use what-so-ever. IMHO;)

I then strain the entire load through cheese cloth. DON"T BE CHEAP, MAKE SURE YOU USE PLENTY! ;) I have also strained it 2x and it seems to be just about identical. So, I'd say 1 really good filter through the cheese cloth is all you need.

I filter mine over a big plastic mixing bowl with a pour lip thing that makes it very easy to pour into the mason jars. I then put it into the fridge and use it or give it away at will. ;)

I know there's a ton of different ways to make the cannabutter, but this is just how I do it. :) :ebert:

Here's some pic's of mine. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can tell the quality of your CannaButter by how much dark matter is at the bottom of your jars.

If you burn the CannaButter, even a thorough filtering will leave dark residue at the bottom of your jars. You want the bottom of the jars to be the same color as the top of your jars, that way you know the consistnacy is the same. ;)

[​IMG]

Now, I'm going to have to see if MamaDonna has any plans to bake anything today?!?!?!:roll::laugh: :) :ebert:

8. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Alcohol would probably make the process FASTER to be honest. Alcohol dissolves the THC from the plant material. Also, THC is fat soluble, so it isn't that the trichomes are being melted into the butter, but rather that the good chemicals are binding with the fat.

9. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

Great point! :) :ebert: