induction lights tesla

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by nobogart, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djdc

djdc Established Healthy Roots

I wasn't trying to start anything, I am sorry, just trying to explain why he shouldn't be getting so defensive anyway sorry. much respect to grow kind

I did have some questions for you

I would love to see side by side pics of buds or plants if you have them? Did you use these all the way through or just in flower? one question I have is if you have 10 of them in a room how much heat would they put off? cfl's don't put off much heat but you get 10 in a closet and it skyrockets, do these run cooler then a tube floro? Do the ballast themselves put off much heat?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
  2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Don't let emotions ruin good info. :thumbsup:

3. nobogart

nobogart Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
  4. djdc

How is the footprint on these lights, is it closer related to tube floros or hid lighting? do these lights seem to lose intensity quickly?

5. nobogart

this same technology will be on hid lights in the future.

it seems to be this efficiency thing that gets people hung up.

1000W HPS = 140000 lumens, at 16% efficiency = 22400

900W induction lights (3) = 27000 lumens, at 96% efficiency = 25920

a light meter peaks at 1.5 feet from the bulb on a 400 watt hps.

the same light meter peaks at 3 feet from a single 300 watt induction bulb.

to use the "water" simulation the heat is water leaking from an inefficient hose.

6. djdc

I have been looking for an add on for my veg. I'm currently running 3 - 4' 4 bulb t-5's they are good for how small it is but I want them to bush up more then they are. Was thinking about a MH but was worried about the heat it would create. How many plants do you think you can happily fit under a 300w? might add this instead of a MH gotta do more research on them.

7. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Not even going to think about going into the electrical efficiency. You and Use would beat me senseless.

So here's the big question, what's the break even point on return of capital vs HID? I'm asking since you have the electric bills to figure from.

8. teamster6

teamster6 A Fat Sticky Bud

I like big plants with huge buds. Show me some and Im interested

t6

9. nobogart

i like paying the lowest gram per watt production costs.

really the only different thing i did was bump the plants up real close to the lights because i could.

same ferts same schedule.

i am going to swap out all of my hps lights.

trees will be grown with these lights by me, others have done it.

bottom line is bottom line.

i dont blame you guy`s after LED and CFL failed to achieve.

i spent money on both of those still have the led panels stored away.

i was extremely unsatisfied with both of those for flowering.

i am happy with the performance of these lights.

10. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

So wait a second dude. Are you trying to say that a 1kw HID light only puts out 22400 lumens sq.ft. because the ballast is only 16% efficient?

Also are you saying a light meter peaks ( as in has highest reading) 1.5 ft and 3 ft. from the source respectively?

Can you show me a tree grown with a 300 watt light? Got a link or something?

11. nobogart

no and i never said i could with only one of them geesh.......

but give a couple months and i will show you a tree grown with 3 of them.

i am done trying to convince you believe dont believe.

12. djdc

A lot of what I'm reading in these journals you are posting links to is that, alone they aren't that great. Doesn't seem like they will produce big bushy plants on their own.

Page 22 roll it up link from post originator... "If they weren't too crowded I think you could get comparable results but with a SOG the canopy really diminishes what gets through to the lower growth. I'm going to try 16 plants next time with a shorter veg to reduce crowding and see how it goes. If nothing else these would be wonderful lights to veg the plants with if you're going for huge yields per plant."

Doesn't seem like these have penetration to get to the lower canopy. I'm just trying to figure out if these will be a good add to my veg to make my plants bushy big and strong...

13. djdc

I'm just trying to get the facts before I drop money on a light I will regret buying...

14. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

They arent that good!

They cost too much to buy and they have poor penatration. Even Nug has said his yeild dropped 50% compared to his HID grow.

Expensive set up and drop in yeild gets you less monthly electric cost and less heat.

You have to decide what you are after. Big yeild and low cost go HID. Low heat and deep pockets go induction.

15. hupla

hupla cooking dinner

[​IMG]

I kinda liked the induction lights hehe :) but dont ask me bout specifics or technical details ;)

Hups

nobogart likes this.
  16. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Yeah them plants look good, but you have what? 3 plants per light and they are only 1 foot tall.

Ill assume they are 300w units, so 100w per plant. They look like they could be giving you 2 oz per plant max, so thats 50w per oz.

You could have grow just as many plants twice as big with 2 600 HPS. So for that grow it would look like you are using an additional 600w of juice for smaller plants and smaller yeild.

These things just cant touch HID.

Nice grow though ;)

p.s these things dont produce the heat so you dont need the fans right? If i dont have a fan how do I use my carbon filter? Ill end up with on hell of a smelly house!

17. hupla

hupla cooking dinner

that was 2004 ;)

18. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

First, you shouldn't be trying to convince me of anything. I always thought these forums and threads like this are for the exchange of information. As I have said a few times now, I am only trying to gather info on the lights. That way I can make my own assertions and decisions. I didn't jump in this thread to bash you or the lights. I simply wanted info.

Now, you obviously don't know shit about lighting. The lumen output of a light is measured at 1 ft from the source. Always. It is the standard for the industry. A 1 kw puts out nominally 150k lumens from the source. It doesn't matter what ballast you use. So your statement of 22,400 lumens due to ballast inefficiency is unequivocally WRONG. While an eelctro mag ballast does consume more energy than a digi, the effect on light output is minimal. The lost energy is lost in the ballast, not in bulb output.

Since light follows the inverse square law, your light meter must be malfunctioning, or you are mistaken about the readings. Say you have a light that produces 100,000 lumens measured 1 ft from the source ( industry standard) at 2 ft the intensity is only 25,000 lumens. So how can a light be more intense farther away from the source? It is impossible. Basic physics there man.

Skuzzi seems to have the same general thoughts I do.

DJDC brought up an interesting quote about the SOG.

Hupla, nice pic bro. That shows me something much better than I thought the lights could do. Looks like 1 300watt light per 2' x 2'. Which as I stated in a previous post I thought would do well. I didn't think they would perform that well, but hey there haven't been any pics for me to look at and I'm just getting info on them.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread.

Cheers

19. teamster6

teamster6 A Fat Sticky Bud

My I was interested in this thread but the bashing back and forth is clouding my mind. Cant anybody on here disagree without flipping out?? This was a very interesting thread.

t6

20. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

I agree!! :wtf?: :icon_scratch:

We can't have an open honest discussion about this type of technology without someone getting their panties all wadded up?

I was also very interested in this subject and for awhile, thought that it was a great thread until....

Good thing we had these types of discussions about LED's when they came out. Otherwise I might have wasted my money on those too. :icon_rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.