It's frickin frigid...do I really need a fan on my air cooled hood?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Green Goblin, Dec 6, 2017.

?

Can I run my 1kw in an air cooled hood w no fan

1. Yes, moron...ever seen a street lamp?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, jackass..if it didn't need a fan it wouldn't have a fan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes you idiot, flux capacitors make this possible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, asshat...it will open a gravity well and consume the universe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

so, it's 60f in my garage/growroom durring the day and the fan on my hood makes a breeze that's uncomfortable to be around...can I just leave the fan off? I'd assume so since these lamps are installed in sealed outdoor hoods...

What's the breaking point?

It's 1kw in an 8" hood with glass

Happy Growin' :pimp:

I should just get a 4" fan and run the 8" off a stat when it's warm out...

2. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Not really sure. I think most outdoor lights a less the 1k. You may remove the glass and have a mild circulation fan going. But I'd think the chances of creating a massive black hole that consumes the universe is pretty slim.
    Be Cool, CG

3. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

I recall growing in my garage... If it was 60f during the day, it could be 39f at night... Not conducive to good plant growing.

So, use the light as a heater with a small fan to help spread out the heat. With no circulation, the heat will rise to the ceiling.

What's the temp with the lights off?

4. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I have enough LEDs to do me but I still use the 600w HPS fixtures along with the LEDs in the winter for the heat. Comes in handy.
    Be Cool, CG

5. Green Goblin

I have sectioned off a 18x20 foot section of the garage (which is 30x60 and built in 1906- full of Holes- might as well be a pole barn) with plastic sheeting, and installed a pellet stove and 2 - 20" box fans mounted up close to the ceiling like ceiling fans. I keep it about 65-70ish in here all the time. The issue was the draft created by my centrifugal blower on my hood affects my comfort level whilst enjoying my smoking chair in the library section. I bought some duct fittings today to temporarily redirect air until I get the rest of the ductwork.

I did run the light with no fan both with the glass open and closed. It didn't seem to care either way, though I wouldn't do it forever because the paint will most certainly discolor...and who wants that

Crisis averted :pimp:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  6. Green Goblin