Kelp vs Seaweed

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by Grizzly, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Grizzly

Grizzly in grow country

:cat2: Does anyone know the differance between kelp and seaweed? Obviously people enjoy using either one or the other. Who likes what and why?

2. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

wow ok

Kelp is seaweed

3. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

:roffl:

i was just about to say that same thing. :good job:

4. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Or so you thought ;)

"Kelp vs seaweed

For many centuries, people associated kelp with seaweed. Though kelp is a kind of seaweed, it is different from seaweed in many aspects.

Kelp is also referred to as large seaweed, which belongs to the brown algae. Classified in the Laminaria order, about 300 genera of Kelp are known. Some of the kelp species are very long, and can even form kelp forests. Though kelp appears like a plant, they are not classified under terrestrial plants, but as Protista.

Seaweeds are primitive sea plants, which belong to the algae family. There are about 10,000 seaweed species. The seaweeds, which are paraphyletic, do not have a common multi cellular ancestor.

Kelps grow in shallow, clear waters, which are cooler than 68 degree Fahrenheit. It anchors to the ocean bed by a structure called holdfast. The kelp body resembles a stem with leaves. Kelp contains air-filled bladders that help the body to float in the water. Seaweeds grow in many places, from the poles to the equator.

Unlike seaweed, kelp is known for Soda ash, which is produced by burning kelp. Alginate, a carbohydrate from kelp, is primarily used as a thickening agent in ice cream, toothpaste and other products. Some kelp species are also used in certain cuisines.

Seaweeds are used in many products around the world. Rich in vitamins and nutrients, seaweeds are used as food in many regions around the world. Bread, noodles and certain drinks are made of seaweed in some coastal regions. Carrageenan, which is extracted from seaweed, is used in the production of many products, like paper and toothpaste. Agar, another extract from seaweed, is used as a thickening agent in foods, and also helps to grow bacterial cultures."

As far as feeding plants I have no effin clue sorry!

gizmo_barks likes this.
  5. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

If it's a kind of seaweed that would make it seaweed.........right? I just thought seaweed was a generic term for most sea grasses, Kelp being the most widely used and recognized of those grasses. After looking at the wiki page for seaweed it says that seaweeds are types of algae as is kelp. So Kelp would be just one type of seaweed.

6. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

yeah yeah yeah words ;)don't worry i was just about to third your statements but I quickly googled kelp vs. seaweed. Don't worry...i'm not marine biologist in disguise.They are close enough.Like a Himalayan is always a Persian but a Persian is not always a Himalayan. (Himmies are Persians with Siamese points from their breeding, still flat faced, but Persians can come in any color, but both considered Persians) Damn now I am gonna have to create an email without an underscore so I can show you guys my Himmie. She looks like this below exactly ->Lets get hank in here to debate this one ;) $6 for her carrier (kittenpalooza at the shelter, adult cats free), free other than that and she is an extreme face (nose between eyes completely flat face, there are extreme, traditional and doll face, extreme are the show cats) show quality Blue point Himmie who I may register with TICA and show her! From rags to riches once her hair grew in. Small pic is mine (her shelter pic, she was completely matted and had to be shaved) and big is what she looks like now.[​IMG]Sorry threadHIGHjack. I just love my Sookie Cookie! Named for Trueblood of course :angel4:

da1f1056-9811-45f7-a2b6-76cf6fa7d954.jpg

/monthly_2010_09/da1f1056-9811-45f7-a2b6-76cf6fa7d954.jpg.bcd2c88f3214e60501d045c43498426a.jpg

7. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

:roffl: :thumbs-up: You're funny. You are right and so was I, 2 rights don't make a wrong! :roffl: :good job:

Let's not........not that it would matter, I no longer acknowledge any such person. We don't get along you know. :roffl:

8. luvtogrow

luvtogrow Veggy Stage

Kelp can kick Seaweeds ass.

9. nobogart

nobogart Cured Fat Sticky Bud

for use as a fert??????????????