LED - Lets get serious

Discussion in 'DIY LED Builds' started by DXE, Mar 10, 2014.

1. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Something like that I guess... LOL So say it's $2.81 a day for 1k(1300W for lights and fans) and $1.73 for 3 of those and fans(800W combined total). So you save $1.08 a day. That would make it right at 2 years 4 months for electricity to pay itself off. But that's a very rough estimate just using wattage of lights and fans. Savings could be more because you won't have to run fans at max, replacing bulbs all the time and ac won't have to be cranked if that's an issue. For instance I haven't even been running my a/c period. It's in the 80s here, house is staying around 72-73 and the room is 77 with lights on and fan as low as it will go.

2. teamster6

teamster6 A Fat Sticky Bud

If they will produce I think they are the way to go. Past grows shown they dont deliver. Not bad but not the same as hps.

I run 3200 watts hps in flower. My power bill goes up 100 bucks a month so these would pay their selves off quickley if they deliver.

I would be more concerned with the heat factor than the increased power bill as heat is a major concern running a bunch of lights. Best of both worlds would be to save the electric and cooler to boot.

I would consider it but my grow area is about 4 1/2 feet wide and 14 feet long so the investment if its 3 led's to one thousand hps would be substantial.

t6

3. skunky

Yea I hear ya. I can honestly say this is the first time ever growing with anything that heat was not a concern, well not the typical heat problem. So far it's been more difficult to keep the room temp up instead of down. :roffl: But yea I'm waiting to really see what I pull off my little experiment. No big donkey colas or anything at 5 weeks. Though I've also got more plants with less wattage than ever before just comparing # plants to watts to sq ft. We'll see.

Oh but as far as light number like I told DXE in a PM I think 2 of those would be more like running 2-400s than a 1K. I would try to keep anything around 200W to a 2x3 or 3x3 spot, So if you were doing a 4x4 area I would think 2 of the onyx would be about like running two 400s.

Again though lets see some more numbers. I got a buddy coming in town today who's an LED guy and wanting to see how things are going on their front and see what his opinion is. Want to see what some of these other current grows end up doing.

4. teamster6

teamster6 A Fat Sticky Bud

Skunky I was reading last night that these grow places are all getting the led lights from china. Jacking up the prices. You might ask that guy if its true. If it is true I see a stack of 5 1000 watt leds on ebay for 2400 bucks from china. I dont think I would want to try anything less than 1000w.

t6

5. skunky

Most are. There are only a couple that are made here. Though some companies are rebranding and having built to spec. Good examples of those are Blackdog vs mars 2. Mars 2 looks the same but the internals are different. I've seen people do good with some of the cheaper Chinese stuff one of the things I've seen is that some of them tend to burn out much faster than others. Though the main one I've seen lots of peope having issues with is the apollo style lights, the only one that seems to last is the KIND rebrand that's built to spec. Also when looking at those LEDs remember you don't just multiple diode wattage by number of diodes, since they aren't driven to max. So if 1000W is 333-3W or 200-5W look for a max draw spec probably anywhere around 6-800 or so.

With the chinese stuff some people like to get the blackstars. I would stay away from the apollo lights that look like these.

[​IMG]

Also some people seem to be happy with the VIPAR lights. $300 for 360W isn't bad. If I were going to do something cheap in hopes of replacing a 1k I would consider something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-VIPAR-600W-LED-Grow-Light-Hydroponic-5W-indoor-Plant-Panel-Flower-Spectrum-/111289795936

6. Annunaki

Annunaki Developed Alternating Nodes

:popcorn-2:

7. DXE

DXE Moderator

Got my Onyx Bloom LED's today - check out my thread in the grow log section for some pics and impressions

8. DXE

DXE Moderator

Why take the chance on ebay when you can get the Onyx Blooms for 450$ a pop - I am replacing a 1KW HPS with two of these.

9. skunky

I wouldn't. I considered it then decided it was best to get something a little better. Just putting it out there. Interested to see what that you can do with that onyx.

10. DXE

DXE Moderator

Onyx LED and heat

Not sure how to link threads so I will do a bad thing and double post here :)

I have some more info regarding heat produced by the Onyx LED's and how it effects room temp.

My room is 12 foot by 4 foot by 8 feet high. Tightly insulated with foam board all around and all gaps sealed.

I did an experiment where I turned of my heater and my exhaust fan and measured the temperature change over time.

Starting temp: 80F

After 1 hour, the temperature in the room had raised 2 degrees to 82F

Put the fan back on and temperature dropped to 78F. My fan runs at minimum speed (just pulses) until it reaches 80, then it incrementally increases speed to lower the temp.

Apparently the lights do NOT throw enough heat to make up for the 59F ambient air that is pulling into the tent. The temp is maintaining at 78 but not increasing.

I will re-enable the oil radient heater and let the combination of light, heat and fan maintain my 80F

Bottom line - two of these Onyx LED's - while warm to the touch - do not radiate ANYWHERE near the heat the 1K HPS or MH radiate.

11. DXE

DXE Moderator

LED to Glass comparison

I bought myself an inexpensive light meter (does LUX and Foot Candles) so I could get a feel for how my LED environment compares to my HPS and MH glass bulb environment.

I am learning what these measurements mean in the real world so I wont try to sound like an expert here - YET.

I took some basic measurements at various points around my grow area (4x5 feet). In my LED environment I am using two ONYX Blooms spaced about a foot apart centered in the space. In my Glass environment I have a vented hood system (600Watt MH in veg, 1Kw HPS in flower).

Currently my HPS is off for tent maintenance so these measurements will be for the 600W MH

Note: the following are just hard measurements - at the plant canopy top. For the MH - that is about ten inches from the bulb. In the LED that is about 20 inches from the LED.

600Watt MH

Center - 94000 LUX

Corners - 48000 LUX

sides - 56000 LUX

LED

Center - 100400 LUX

Corners - 74000 LUX

Sides - 75000 LUX

This weekeend when I fire up the 1KW HPS - I will take measurements as well

Here is some good reference data on LUX, PAR, etc

http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/conversion-ppf-to-lux/

12. skunky

Interested to see the 1k numbers. Not bad LED beat it all around at twice the distance. You might also take the same measurements at 12, 24, and 36" when you compare to the hps. That gives us an even better picture. I'll contact apogee to ask about LED conversion factor.

13. skunky

14. DXE

DXE Moderator

1KW HPS measurements and observations

Well just took a bunch of LUX and temperature measurements off my 1KW HPS tent and some additional measurements Skunky was looking for on my LED side.

Here is an update from my OP

Note: the following are just hard measurements - at the plant canopy top. For the MH & HPS - that is about ten inches from the bulb. In the LED that is about 20 inches from the LED.

600Watt MH - Total Current Draw 5 amps at 100VAC

Center - 94000 LUX

Corners - 48000 LUX

sides - 56000 LUX

1000Watt HPS - Total Current draw: 8.3 amps

Center - 135000 LUX

Corners - 85000 LUX

sides - 125000 LUX

LED - Total current draw: 2.2 amps

Center - 100400 LUX

Corners - 74000 LUX

Sides - 75000 LUX

LUX at distances from LED

12" 220000 LUX

18" 115000 LUX

24" 90000 LUX

36" 75000 LUX

Now I know there are some discussions of temp on this and other threads.

I shot the following temps with a digital lazer temp meter - hand held unit - nothing special.

1Kw HPS in an enclosed ducted hood

Outside case: 83F

Glass: 152F

600 Watt MH in an enclosed ducted hood

Outside case: 83F

Glass: 150F

Onyx Bloom LED (note top of case is all heat sink)

Heatsink: 116F

LED lense: 124F

Solid surface 12 inches from lense: 80F

What do you think??

I know what I am doing - going to watch my new LED grow like a hawk and if happy - replace everything with LED

:)

15. skunky

Well one thing you could definitely do now if look at how you would run your 1k get measurments, then try to get the LED around the same. Just make sure to keep an eye on the sides.

Oh and one thing maybe I missed it but when you are measuring the LED is that center of one unit or center of both?

16. DXE

DXE Moderator

Those numbers are for a single unit - I had an extra :) so I hung it for measurements

17. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Dxe

You really liking those onyx? I want to make the switch to LED when I have the coin. I'm lost sy all the choices... 3w, 5w, 3w with added 10w.. 3 band, 5 band, 12 spectrum, 17 spectrum, this many reds, that many blues, this temp white.... Ugghhhh I'm lost....

18. Bigbud214

Not to mention the plethera of brands.... Area 51, Hans, onyx, bkackdog, cski light works, kind, lush, G8, all with successful grow logs and proprietary claims etc etc etc... I'm ready to puke lol

19. skunky

For what it's worth if I were going to buy another it would either be the New area 51 red and white fixture or onyx bloom. Wanting to see how this goes for dxe.

20. Bigbud214

Yeah they are at top of list.... Not much about the 10w diodes? At least that I can see.

Skunky have you come across anything on the Blackdog line? Lots of excellent you tube videos showing crazy grows. Called them today... Rep said they let you run them a full 90 days and if not happy give you a full refund. They use all 5w diodes... 15 different ones. Their 240w is $639....