LED - Lets get serious

Discussion in 'DIY LED Builds' started by DXE, Mar 10, 2014.

1. DXE

DXE Moderator

Let's just say I am so happy about what i see in my flower tent - granted it's just the last four weeks of flower - I am replacing my veg hps with the onyx

I can easily cover six foot by four with three of the bloom units. - running two for six plants - going to go to three for eight girls on my first full led flower cycle

Also onyx has been very flexible on price depending what/how many you buy

Using half the electricity is just bonus!!!

2. DXE

DXE Moderator

Just wanted to add a graphical representation of the Spectrum output of the Onyx compared to a 1K Hortilux Eye HPSPretty close........ Hortilux eye.jpg

Onyx Bloom.png

/monthly_2014_04/57a6cb1286219_Hortiluxeye.jpg.9ab71f4749816ec235baa40829df5398.jpg

/monthly_2014_04/57a6cb128c2a1_OnyxBloom.png.5c0c34c68f961f7a0b320fb27de078df.png

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

You and skunky got me thinking seriously about LED's. Have a guy looking for a fridge build like mine and might have him give LED's a whirl. What do you think you'd need to replace 2-400w HPS in a 2'x4' space?

4. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Res I'm definayely going LED once I put cash together... Narrowed down to advanced, onyx, solar flare.... I'm going to run two lights in my 2x4 closet...

5. DXE

DXE Moderator

If this fridge will be used for veg as well as flower you would either have to go to a more expensive dual mode led or just veg under the led . It doesn't do allot of blue but it should work fine

Go with two onyx bloom total draw 440 watts footprint should be perfect

6. ResinRubber

He'll have a separate 24/7 fridge. So when looking for light variances for veg vs flower, what are the key points to keep in mind with LED's?

7. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

I hope they work. :popcorn-2:

8. Bigbud214

Man there are plenty of grow logs showing AMAZING results

9. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Still haven't really found any good backdog journals or logs. But yeah I saw the videos. Be awake there are two companies called advanced LED one is supposed tobe good and the other horrible. So post a link if you go that route. I'd totally skip the solaeflare too costly for what it is. Out of those I'd go onyx bloom. Onyx and Area 51 both offer multi unit discounts. Area 51 also does repeat customer discounts too.

10. Bigbud214

I'm skipping the Blackdog.... It appears its just a rebranded LG LED Solutions light made in China. Saw a couple threads on grass city where a guy bought direct from LG and was able to order exact spectrums fir a third if the price.... California Light Works seem like excellent lights just heard ppl say they overdrive the LEDs... I'm leaning towards the onyx or the advanced diamond series that uses the same 10w Cree xlm chip.... Area 51 is still on the list but they have yet to reply to my email..lol

11. DXE

DXE Moderator

full operation on LEDHere are a couple pics of my LED grow(s)On the left side is Cotton Candy - currently in its 7th week. Its been under the led for three weeks now and thrivingOn the right side are 6 Blue Chocolate. They have been under the LED for a week now in flower and also looking awesome.Each side is running 3 onyx blooms (I know - i started with two). I wanted to expand the footprint so that I can run eight girls on each side...I tink I will be starting a new thread in the grow logs for this - didnt want to double post but figured I would put this tease up here.....

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

/monthly_2014_04/IMG_3665.jpg.e88676ccfa197f238d9581c303a9d18e.jpg

/monthly_2014_04/IMG_3664.jpg.92d9acfde9fa2f10e8c5e9ada006c854.jpg

Mrgreengenes likes this.
  12. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Nice looking plants. I look forward to the grow threads on theses strains. :redbong:

13. Bigbud214

Wow Dxe... They look happy, fat and tasty.... Great job. Ill be following the grow log...

14. DXE

DXE Moderator

Folks have been asking allot of questions on how these LED uints setup - can I dasiy chain, etc..The ONYX units have a very nice mounting system - you can thread into the case a mounting system that can use your existing pullies,etc OR you can hard mount these units to a frame using 6 M6 bolts.I hard mounted mine onto some 1 inch angle stock (see pictures).The ONYX also uses an external power supply with an internal fan. This keeps an additional heat source OUTSIDE your grow area. A thin low voltage wire goes between the power supply and lamp unit. I ran the three supply wires in a bundle to my mounting frame and connected them to the lamps.Daisy chaining (some of the manufacturers support this) is simply building an additional 110VAC outlet into the lamp unit. On my setup, I have all three power supplies plugged into a power strip with the strip plugged into my timer.Hope this info helps

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3671.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

/monthly_2014_04/IMG_3666.jpg.86d2dec2bbc72366cfc7fc1b5ff5a882.jpg

/monthly_2014_04/IMG_3668.jpg.2b443f8eeba7541605e0b6c111565f7f.jpg

/monthly_2014_04/IMG_3669.jpg.e8d2977adb73f45e58b200f6747b843b.jpg

/monthly_2014_04/IMG_3671.jpg.89a33375af671767b6f357dcfd1c4b5a.jpg

/monthly_2014_04/IMG_3670.jpg.04d58ea655edc3cf5c2ec1de834bdc01.jpg

15. Bigbud214

Very cool set up Dxe... How big is your tent?

16. DXE

DXE Moderator

The new room is 14 by 4. Entry is in the center so I have a two foot access to either side - actual grow spaces are 4x6

17. ResinRubber

Nice clean install Dxe.

18. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I noticed a digital timer. Does it have a battery backup to avoid problems with power outages. I don't live where I grow so normal digital timers are never used. If the power goes off for a couple minutes they clear themselves. Everything including AC units have manual settings to avoid that problem.

But, that's a nice set up. Hope it pays off big time, you've worked hard on it.

Be Cool, CG

19. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Very nice dxe, looking forward to future grows. :bong-2: :popcorn-2:

20. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Looks great :thumbs-up:

I am not growing anymore right now as my addiction switched to growing coral. I just ordered a kessil 350w (LEDs for reefs) fixture which is pretty good for marine tanks. I don't know about the spectrum for plants but they sure do look good on coral! Pretty good growth too. And they add beautiful shimmer. Totally off topic but here is a video using the light I bought. I am excited for the new look.

[YOUTUBE]YrgCDfiG4-c[/YOUTUBE]

LEDs are the new best and brightest things of marine tanks. We all have been using the same lights except for HPS (too orange). MH, T5 and LEDs are what everyone uses. They (LEDs) are getting better and better. I imagine they will get better and better for cannabis too. I may throw this unit over some plants someday and see what happens.