Led

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Rasta Mon, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Rasta Mon

Rasta Mon Germinating

Was Thinking about trying led lights. Have done some research but no straight froward pros or cons. Anyone have any expreince with led lighting? Looking for any help!

Blessings

Rasta Mon

2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Don't really know a lot from personal experience but I DO know this, the initial investment for a "Good" LED that will even be comparable to an HID light is quite a bit higher than a comparable strength HID (MH/HPS). It seems like you gotta spend around $1000 for a high quality high power LED. They will over time pay for that difference in initial cost with energy savings, but it will probably take a couple years to offset that difference. They DO run much cooler than HID lights, so if heat is a big issue for you, then that is a plus. They basically eliminate bulb replacement as well. I have seen a couple really nice grows that were done using high output LED lights that were pretty impressive.

A member by the name of calibuddz he has a couple threads documenting LED grows so you can see some results first hand. Here is a link to one of them.

http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37748&highlight=calibuddz

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Hit up HappyHappyHighGuy. He's got game with LED and is around the boards regularly.

4. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

NO!!! Unless you're RICH, dont do it!

When I first decided to grow, I fell for the "Just as powerful as a 600w HPS at a fraction of the energy cost!" hype.

I paid five hundred bucks for the UFO. Now I use it for vegging and it's great for vegging. But....500 bucks for a VEG LIGHT????

T5 for vegging PLUS a 600w HPS for flowering cost less. Seriously---dont waste your bucks.

Dixie

5. hillbilly

hillbilly Established Healthy Roots

I use 2 120 watt LEDs for veg and love them. They're the ones from HTG Supply. They're expensive but you can find good deals out there. I got mine from a customer who buys vegetable and fruit plants from my greenhouse. The guy sold me both for $250, basically buy one get one free. One was unopened. The other one had been used for about a month. He showed me the receipts from when he bought them. He was trying to grow lettuce with them but they didn't have the coverage he had expected. His loss was my gain.

I have mine in a 2' deep x 4' wide x 3' high veg cabinet with mylar on the walls and ceiling. I try to keep the lights between 6 and 8 inches above the tops. Cabinet temps stay in the mid 70s when ambient room temp is 68-70.

The internode spacing is less than 1 cm even on my sativa dominant strains.