Light cycles

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by bobbyjss, Feb 17, 2006.

1. bobbyjss

bobbyjss Germinated

Someone told me to put my plant on a 24 hour light cycle until it's time for flowering. Do I slowly give it a little dark at a time or wait until flowering & give it a 12/12 cycle all at once? Or do I give it more than 12 hrs dark when it's time? How do I know when to change the light cycle? It's about a foot tall. Sorry I'm such an idiot.
    B

2. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

I've read a bit on that

I have read that light cycles can change directly from veg to 12/12 flower and some strains react fast and other slow.

I guess the strain / plant will sense the change but the change over can take a while in some strains.

there are also schools of thought on what is best for plants in terms of a photo period.

I have read that as little as 14 hours a day will veg a plant but I think that depends on the lumens and the strain.

There are many folks that do run 24 till 12/12 with no problems i understand.

Myself, I like the idea of a day and night cycle so, it's on the gardener to decide what style is right imo.

3. danstoy50

danstoy50 New Sprout

I ran 24/0 under flo's and then I switched to 18/6 under flos and got better results from the 18/6 for veg and when the plant is mature (with alternateing nodes ) then I switch to 12/12 for the flower period it takes about two weeks to see the sex of the plants, but not always true on sex. as I have had plants show sex in the 18/6 veg state . to this is just the basic's. hope it helps your train of thought Dan

4. bobbyjss

bobbyjss Germinated

so 24/0 to 18/6 is ok? then 12/12 for flowering?