Light Proof Vent Part Two

Discussion in 'DIY' started by friendlyfarmer, Jan 30, 2014.

1. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

We all know how important ventilation is. We also know how important light proofing is. If you are in a circumstance where you need high volume light proof venting in a small space, here is one solution. Some highlights: it cost about $50 to build. The materials are just plywood, screws, caulk and paint. It's mobile and it's compact. On the downside, I did use a table saw and a miter so my cuts were pretty accurate which is crucial for decent joints. If you are using a circular saw or (god forbid) a jigsaw, or anything you can't put a fence on, you gotta go slow and be careful and get good straight cuts. Also, if I were to make another one of these, I would use thicker plywood. 1/2" OSB is just a RCH too thin. I made it work but had to pre drill every screw hole very carefully and even then the plwood started to split a little once or twice. It's not critical since the wood's only function is to block light and channel air, but solid is always better.

This one is 5" X 11". It was supposed to be 6" X 12", but you know...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
    JuggaloKing420 likes this.
  2. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

Love it! :goodjob:

3. friendlyfarmer

4. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Great job FF! :redbong:

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Moved and stickied

6. ducrider

ducrider Helming

:idea:The only thing I think I'd change with the design is that I'd make the actual intake opening down by the floor the same size as the opening inside the room. A filter return grill would be a nice way to trim out the exterior side not to mention it'd hold an furnace filter.

You always do such nice work FF:not-worthy::not-worthy::not-worthy:

Thanks for posting!

Duc

hmmm.. Must spread some reputation around before giving any more to FF....

7. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

I made one of these out of cardboard like 7 years ago when I built my first cabinet, they work great!

remember folks, light doesn't BEND! take advantage of that idea

8. friendlyfarmer

Here's another one, bigger and better made. Same design. This thing ate two sheets of plywood and two cans of black spray paint though. The good news is I got the dimensions of the openings correct at 12"x20" to accept a furnace filter. Also, the duct remains at least 12"x20" at every turn in vent, so there are no tight spaces restricting the air flow.

:thumbs-up:

[​IMG]

CC I hate to say it but Einstein theorized that gravity bends light, and in 1915 this prediction was proven correct with the observance of a solar eclipse. Astronomers knew where the stars were in reality, and when measured from a place on earth where the known star was right next to the eclipsed sun, the star was observed in a different location, confirming that the sun's gravity bent the light from the star which was being observed on earth.

BUUUUUT light don't bend THAT much. Like a few degrees over 100,000 light years, so we are safe in the grow room I think.

9. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

How come I can't see the photos?

Attached Files:

10. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

Photobucket seems to have kicked the bucket. Got to load the pics into the site's media gallery.