Lighting a 4x8 area

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by SirStynkalot, Jan 4, 2011.

1. SirStynkalot

SirStynkalot A Fat Sticky Bud

I have a 4x8x7 grow tent that I need to buy new lights for in a month. I want to get AS MUCH WEIGHT out of it as I can using 4-8 plants per crop.

How should I light it for max yields?

I'm currently using 3 600w lights oriented horizontally. they are in cool tubes taking in about 68 degree air. They look good but I know I can do better. I'm debating between 6 inch ducting (which I already have 2 fans for) and 8 inch ducting (requiring all new reflectors and fans), vertical versus horizontal lighting, and how exactly how many watts I can use properly in there. any ideas?

I have been reading on vertical grows, and would be happy to try it, but I'm concerned that the box and my plant limits are too small to do it effectively.

2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

2 1000 watt 8" ducted. That is what I would do. Max air flow and max light penetration. If you want to stay at or under 8 plants, I would do RDWC or Ebb N Grow style buckets. Grow 4 big bushes under each light.

3. SirStynkalot

I forgot to mention... I have a 14,000 BTU air conditioner dedicated to the intake that I'm not using right now. I just found where Useless said a rule of thumb as 3750 BTU per 1kw of light... If so, then I should be able to run 3600w.

I'm not worried about wasting electricity in any way, since I've already been verified by the local police. no need to cover my tracks.

thanks for that Ras. I actually have another friend doing exactly what you said right now, and he's having great success with it. Copying him is definitely an option as well, but I was hoping I could yield more...

And this next run has to be in soil, because that's what the plants were started in. the run after that is going to be RDWC. I'm refusing to start hydro again until I can afford the monitoring and automation equipment I want.

4. JuggaloKing420

JuggaloKing420 Just clownin around

I would go w/ 3k if your not worried bout electrical use. 2 hps & 1mh.. I'd place my money on that yielding the best.

edit: Also e&f style with training

5. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Three 1000's?

I think NOT! That's alittle much.

6. JuggaloKing420

Why, Mr. A? It's under 100w psf...I think it could be done w/ good results...If I had the space for it, that's how I'd run it...

7. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

You'd be hard pressed to comfortably fit 3 1000 watt lights into a 4X8 tent.

8. JuggaloKing420

9. JuggaloKing420

Sorry to double post, but in that thread, there are people claiming to get 6lbs per 4x8 with 3k.. That's space maximization to me. We're not all legal so we gotta do as much with as little space as possible.

10. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

I didn't look at the thread, simply 'cause it's thcfarmer (lame).

In my limited experience, that's pushing it.

Then again, I'm alittle fire-sensitive.

11. SirStynkalot

I've been looking around for this as much as possible... it's looking like I should do thousands instead of sixes... and like I should also just go buy another 8x4 box if I want more grass and can fit it in my apartment. thanks for the link juggalo!

I'm giving up on vertical lighting for grows on this scale, I think.

so the general consensus seems to be to use thousand watters instead of sixes, 2000 watts with reflectors that cast wide, and 3000 with ones that are narrow, IF I can cool it and am satisfied with reduced yields compared to equal wattage over a larger floorspace. sound about right?

If that's the case, I'm just gonna go buy another 8x4 box after this harvest I suppose. just sounds a lot easier.

Is this the case? wouldn't mind a little confirmation before I start figuring out how to get an extra 2 grand...

12. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

2x1,000 =big buds

I agree 100% also a sunlight supply Block Buster is desiged for a 4x4 area so two would be perfect they're 6 inch air cooled. You already have ducting and a fan and if the. Heats to high run separate ducts and fans for each.:thumbs-up:

You can find a comparable brand but sunlight supply has been good about exchange and warranties.

13. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

600 or 1,000s

You will get more yield of the 1,000s unless you do a sog. And shorter plants. Also the lower secondary buds will be considerably heavier than the 600s.

14. SirStynkalot

thanks a lot man. I was debating the multiple light source vs inverse square diminishing lumens argument, but I think I can just settle for 2000w in 8" cooltubes. If I get really curious, I can stick a 600w MH in the middle and just take it out if it starts to fry.

I can totally drop the temps in the light intake to like 60 degrees year round too. That's why I'm not worried much about heat... but I'm sure I'd end up bleaching them to all hell with 3000 watts.

Oh, and I really only use cooltubes. they have a pretty rectangular footprint, but they reduce heat so well that it's worth rotating the plants a bit. I'd rather get the plants too many lumens and bleach them than use an incubator over them and deal with less intensity and more heat for the sake of a slightly better footprint. I can raise my cooltubes if I want them to cast light wider.

my super-experienced friend who is doing 4x8 boxes uses a dual-socket 1000w 48" cooltube. best reflector for the space pretty much ever. he said that was all the light he needed, and I'm starting to see why.

15. krondikebar

krondikebar In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

i have a 4x8 right now and i only have 1 - 1000W in it. its doing a pretty good job so far, but 2 - 1000W would be prime