LumiGrow ES 600w Challenge

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by calibuddz, Nov 25, 2009.

1. calibuddz

calibuddz Veggy Stage

the HPS plants are done.

[​IMG]_[​IMG]

[​IMG]_[​IMG]

due to the bushmaster overdose, i cant consider the results as a 'true' side by side. however, i will still be posting the harvest weight update. stay tuned....

2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Nice Job. Well done!

Looking good brother!:thumbs-up: :cool-pix: Nice looking buds, and it looks like a pretty good yield too. I'll be here as long as you're updating. :popcorn-2:

3. SoCalDad

SoCalDad Excommunicated

Where's your girls?

I see allot of lights, but I haven't seen any of your girls. How do they look? What strains are you growing?:passsit:

4. SoCalDad

SoCalDad Excommunicated

This is it....

Lighting of the futer. The persion with the LED and HPS gonig at the same time is no a genious, but just doing the right thing. Its not rocket science people. To all thoughs that run HPS and LED at the same time, My hat is off to you PROFESSIONALS!!!

5. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Dude, did you type that with one eye open and 2 knuckles? WTF are you saying?

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

I hope he's not saying that true "PROFESSIONALS" only grow under HPS/LED mix.

Still waiting to see a 1000 plant grow room under hundreds of LED panels meself.

THOSE guys are the professionals and if it isn't economical they won't do it period, end of game. In the balance of yield/up front costs/ongoing elec use LED is still behind in the game. Not saying it won't catch up but until it does the major players will still be running an HID flower/floro veg combination.

Of course that's just my opinion.

cheers,

7. calibuddz

calibuddz Veggy Stage

HARVEST WEIGHT UPDATE!

the LED results are in. 120 grams DRY and TRIMMED....tightly i might add. the HPS results will follow. they are just about perfectly dry, then i will trim em up and post it up for yall.

the quality of this stuff is AMAZING! much more pungent smelling. visually its a much higher grade than the HPS nugs. resin caked all over, nice purple nugs, major bag appeal. its too bad i went and fucked things up with the BushMaster.

smoke report........very good, hehe. ive been smoking this shit for years. its much more flavorful than the buds i grow under the 1000w HPS. i can only take 2 puffs. this shit makes me stupid, hehe. enough chatter though. on with some pics.......

[​IMG]_[​IMG]

the final update isnt too far off. talk amongst yourselves. i will be back shortly.

8. CCrete

Sooooo......4.2oz from 6 plants, a seemingly decent grower with 1200W of light??? And as you LED guys say, its still the same light as an HID sooooooo, that does VERY much apply my already defined thoughts as to LED usage.......basically from my point of view, thats not good numbers at all, especially with the hype...........it looked like the HPS was even shorter........but like you say the show wasnt very fair at all

9. CCrete

Yea your right......even still, to me its like a plasma TV against a LCD TV......both have good pictures but one is obviosly the winner

Also I understand he doesnt want tonage but......isnt the entire idea of growing to grow the best? to me that includes weight as well as taste, strength, health of plant etc......it is a comparasin grow

10. ResinRubber

Yeah CC....I'm kind of underwhelmed. .2 grams per watt and .7 oz per plant for 6 plants under 600w isn't stellar performance. If my HID's put out at that level I'd be trying to figure out where I screwed up.

Sorry Cali....loved the show and hugely appreciate the test. It took real effort to keep posting and running the show so I'm not bashing. Just calling it like it is.

If your HID side even comes close it will be an obvious winner. The loss of bud weight due to trimming mold at a crucial flowering stage has to be accounted for.

cheers,

11. 4F2C0J

4F2C0J STAYYY FLYYY

Can we get a marco shot of your buds?, I cant see the extra dankness your talking about looks just like HPS nugs imo. unless you can blow a pic up so we can see all that dank crystal bag appeal......

12. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

I can easily pull 450g from a 600w HID in that space. All top quality bud, tight, smelly, the full works. LED's are def off my christmas list!

Nice comparison grow show though.

13. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

In defense of the yield...

Cali grew small plants with not a lot of buds. I believe that's the main reason for the low gm/wt.

The combination of scrogging/lst and longer veg time should greatly increase the yield. I'm working on scrogs for my led setup.

14. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

I agree a longer veg time would have been benefical plus bush master OD didnt help. But This has proved LED's have their limits and HPS still kick ass.

If i needed to grow in a space i could not ventilate id go LED but thats the only time.

15. ResinRubber

Agreed HHG. A scrog would be much more effective. But even accounting for the short veg .2 g/p/w is an unacceptably low yield for 6 plants under 600w.

cheers,

16. shaitand

shaitand The Dark One

Awesome thread, very interesting. I have a theory on the extra stickiness reported under LED.

Light and Heat Kill THC. Those LED's aren't cranking anywhere near the raw lumen power of that HPS (which is good for photosynthesis but also destroys some portion of the THC the plant produces) and definitely aren't putting out as much heat.

Even without the bushmaster, I wouldn't consider it a proper contrast to HID lighting without using MH for veg.

17. calibuddz

calibuddz Veggy Stage

HARVEST WEIGHT UPDATE!

the HPS results are in. 130 grams, DRY and TRIMMED. the HPS buds are much more fluffy compared to the LED. they do have a bit more size to them though. lets peep some pics.

[​IMG]_[​IMG]

both bags next to each other. HPS on the left, LED on the right.

[​IMG]

i wish i had a better camera, or even a usb scope, so i can zoom way in. my camera just gets fuzzy when i try and get in close. i will have to invest in better equipment for next rounds pics.

i wanted to bring up the results from the last round of testing, with only one ES unit. i yielded 107 grams. same amount of plants, but in one container. i used a 2x3 smart bin as the container. i also had the ES unit at 20+ inches above the canopy for the majority of flower. i finally brought it down closer later into flower. i only used 2.5 ml of BushMaster, and didnt notice any stress. must have something to do with more of a 'buffer' zone in the beds. also, the LED side suffered the worst from the BushMaster overdose, and only yielded 10 grams less than the HPS, which bounced right back after the BushMaster application. so, that right there shows how the test was compromised due to the overdose......kicking myself, i swear.

let me throw up some pics from last round with the one ES unit.

here is a pic right before they got the axe...under white light.

[​IMG]

a couple more shots.

[​IMG]_[​IMG]

[​IMG]

for more pics, look up my last test entitled "LumiGrow ES 330w LED Test".

i will be doing round 2 of the challenge after this next round of testing. i will only use regular nutes, without any supplements. for the next test i am going to put the 2 units in between 3 1000w HPS. so essentially like this _ ^_^ _ , the "_" being HPS, and the "^" being the ES units. i will use 4x4 soil beds. the center bed will be getting perfect uniform coverage from both ES units and the HPS, while the beds on either end will be getting half coverage of the LED. i will let yall know when its up and running. i just have to plant out the beds and throw up the LEDs. when i get a better camera or a usb scope i will post some comparison pics of the buds from both sides.

lukesmommy likes this.
  18. calibuddz

calibuddz Veggy Stage

before i chopped down the LED side, i took some pics for comparison. let me post those up for yall.

here is an LED plant.

[​IMG]_[​IMG]

[​IMG]_[​IMG]

here is an HPS plant.

[​IMG]_[​IMG]

a comparison shot.

[​IMG]_[​IMG]

what do yall think?

ResinRubber likes this.
  19. ResinRubber

Cali, I think its obvious.....but not the answer you were hoping for. You forgot to mention the bud rot clipped out of the HPS side which accounts for more mass that did not make it to the scale.

It's not opinion now. It's your own test that HPS yielded 8% more than LED even with the HPS bud clipping.

Thanks again for the work Cali. Cheers to ya.

20. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

Awesome and informative thread, Cali! Nice results as well!

As rr said, the results are obvious... although, it does let us know that the LED system isn't a total "waste of time"... i'm suprised personally at how well the LED plants did!

Again, thanks somuch for the comparison!

Peace

-LM