Making your own High Grade Organic soil thread.

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by Randy High, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

Hey many of you know my area of experience is with Organic soil.

I hope to show you how I make a base soil from materials anyone can get at a store.

I hope anyone interested in this will post a note here so I can get an idea of how many are interested.

This is going to be a good thread and should answer the how and what-why's of my organic soil grow.

Keep an eye on this thread as I will be doing this over a few weeks as time allows.

Again Post if you are interested. It will be a small expense for me to do this but, I am happy if I can share some skills.

Randy

2. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

:wave:

Being I compost>>>will love this thread!!!

GREAT idea Randy :beerchug:

Peace~mermaid :animbong:

3. SmknSmly

SmknSmly Germinated

I will be going all organic my next grow and would love some good info..:smokin:

4. natemic

natemic Developed Alternating Nodes

ill be keeping an eye on this thread... this (1st) grow ive got all fox farms soil, nutes, etc.., eventually i want to get into the "real" organics and start makin my own soil and all... next grow hopefully so yeah man, thanks f or the thread/info

5. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

You know how I feel, I've got a month old compost started and an all-natural soil for the first time.....thanks for the info in advance!

6. SmokeWizzleEveryDizzle

SmokeWizzleEveryDizzle ~Movin on up'

Oh 4 shizzle Rizzle Hizzle

Will you be posting the prices of each item too? I'll most def follow the thread, as I know organics is ur gig! I'm all ears!

~Wizzle

7. Randy High

This will be a step by step Photo shoot.

My goal is to make the jist of the thread a part of the FAQ in time.

Thank you all for the input right from the start. Please ask any and all questions you can and I will do what I can to answer.

Outline:

I'm ordering a compost tumbler. It will make it easy for me to manage and I have always wanted one but never spent the money before.

The nice thing is no one has to spend a darn thing to make compost but, for some the tumbler and store bought materials will be the only way to make compost where they live.

They may not have a place in their yard to have a pile but they may have a deck where a nice looking tumbler will not be a problem to landlords.

So, for those who think it's a nice idea to have fresh organic soil in your pots but you can't because you live on the 99Th floor of your block tell your landlord "hey you get off of my cloud!" I have a proper nice looking tumbler!

But anything can work. Say a simple trash can ( clean ) as long as we turn and add air several times a day it will do just fine. And as always a simple pile works fine.

I will be using store bought materials.

That way I know we all can obtain materials and for those who equate compost with manure this will show that it's very different.

The truth is most kitchen waste and yard waste can be composted.

That gives me an idea... LOL

A living soil has an earthy smell. It is friable and because it supports a population of microorganisims that are helpful to plants it is a magic realm!

So in a few days I should have the tumbler and I will start with the pictures.

I'm fine with interaction on this project so feel free to poke your nose into what I'm doing. Suggest ask and critique.

Randy

8. Randy High

Well Mermaid thanks.

The company I ordered from called and said my order for a tumbler has been processed.

Should be here this week..

9. Randy High

What I will be doing is putting you on a fast track to a productive and absolutely organic soil.

I'm a believer cuz I've experienced it.

10. Randy High

Watch and see. This will be the basics on how I started my soil many years ago. A soil that is still going on.

It's about decomposition and soil building with natural systems.

"This is how we do it."

Gonna be cool.

11. HillbillyHemp

HillbillyHemp Higher than Camel Pussy

Very cool Randy

First day off in a couple weeks and I'm thrilled to see this thread. I've been experimenting a little the last 2 years and could use some of your experience.

Thanks RandyH!

12. Randy High

No problem.

I will give it some thought in the next two days as to how best to start and will get on it.

I know what I have experienced so that is the well I draw from.

If I do this right then everyone should understand the difference between a living soil and a dead chemical one.

Both can grow a plant but ...

13. Randy High

I am yet to see any boxes so I am wondering what is up with my order.

Just want to let everyone know I'm still on it.

14. Randy High

Alright everything has arirved.

Now to get to the store and buy the things I will need..

And to get going on this promise!

--------------------------------

This is the week. Prolly starting Monday I'll have it together. I'm booked with projects that have to get done today and tomorrow but, this project is tops on my list.

15. Randy High

New Compost Tumbler

Here is the compost tumbler I ordered.

The top part is a round drum with a latch-able lid.

The bottom has rollers and a drain to catch compost "tea"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought this to have a propper small batch machine.

It's a nice device but you don't need to spend for such a thing.

All a compost pile needs is the right materials and conditions.

I could try and cover all the ways to compost but there is so much on the Web about composting...

I made my first soil base in a planter bed of about the size of a small bath tub.

I've had piled on the ground, piles in box style twin bin and even in a catch under a pet cage with guinea pigs above.

This time out I'm doing a tumbler so I hope this works as expected.

On to the soil base....

Next Soil Base

16. Randy High

How do you like the Collage of Photos format. It keeps bandwidth down I think.

SO hey I did my shopping and got a few things. I didn't find the variety I expected so I settled for some basics and whatever "perks" I could think of.

My selection of materials is on the concepts of Greens and Browns in composting terms.

Greens are nitrogen rich materials like Alfalfa. Sometimes called Protein.

The Browns are carbon rich materials like peat moss and pine wood. Sometimes called carbohydrates.

The Analogy I found useful to understand microorganisms eating materials is like eating Carbs and Proteins. A mixture of greens and browns provides a diet

The food stuff I use I believe are somewhere in between greens and browns.

I need to mention that Composting is covered in much greater detail on the Web. Wikkipedia and a search of Google is the way I read up. Have a look after you finish this thread if you are interested in getting started. Also I will be happy to answer what questions I can.

This first collage is some of the materials I bought. I'll list them below the photos by row left to right and top to bottom.

[​IMG]

White Rice. Carbs.

Guinea Pig pellets made from Alfalfa are a source of nitrogen and some minerals and vitamins.

Perlite, a popped volcanic glass product great for aeration and a small bit of insurance that my pile gets good air in the tumbler.

Coffee a food stuff I like to add. It would be in the Green and brown category AFAIK.

Pine Shavings. A slow long term carbon that I know of no problems with. I also used some left over feline pine cat litter. I use that in feeding layers of my living soil.

Peat Moss and Coconut Coir. This is a new product and I am happy to find it. Since I am after materials I can break down with the beneficial microorganisms in a compost pile I have liked to use peat moss. Coir is something I have not worked with before so this is a bonus to me.

Pine Shavings. The kind one will buy in the grocery store or pet center. Large bales can be bought at feed stores for a cheep cost.

Liquid Kelp. I have some liquid left over and I will use it to water with since I couldn't find kelp meal. For Trace elements.

------------------------------------------------------

More materials:

[​IMG]

Bananas! For potassium and microbe "eats." When possible micronize materials like bananas.

Bone meal. Might as well get it started. Bone meal is excellent source of phosphorus but it is best given a long time to be available. I feed bone meal along with my veg feedings whenever I feel it's right timing.

Cream of Wheat. It just happened to be a stale box I needed to throw out so why waste. Carbs I would assume.

Dolomite Lime. It adjusts PH in a soil but it is a source of the nutrient calcium. Lime raises PH. Also listed as a source of Magnesium.

Iron Sulfate. A source of iron but also of Sulfur. Sulfur is a nutrient. Sulfur lowers PH

( note I added about 1/4 cup iron sulfate and 2/3 cup dolomite. Iron sulfate is fine in small amounts where dolomite is a slower lime and should last a long time. )

TheApprentice likes this.
  17. Randy High

Mixing

[​IMG]

Liquid kelp, bananas, iron sulfate, alfalfa based guinea pig food, The Peat moss and Coir mix, Coffee, Bone, Azomite and cream of wheat.

Azomite. Look this one up in the Forum Level FAQ It means A to Z minerals. It's cheep and at Groworganic.com

What is Azomite? Organic Soil Growing 101

[​IMG]

Earth from my garden box. The source of microorganisms for the composting.

The materials mixed somewhat. The tumbler makes turning the pile as easy as turning the pile but there is still a need to reach in and stir it up by hand. I will be looking for a small Fork to use.

Dolomite lime.

A compost thermometer This is a long thermometer that sticks into a pile and lets me know how it's cooking. At the time of mixing and watering it was 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Watering. Nothing special just the yard hose. The PH is like 6.7 the last time I checked it.

The source of the microorganisms, my soil of five years, my garden box.

The compost tumbler all filled and closed up.

Now to wait and see if the microbes take off.

The base temp is 70 and Google says

70 degrees Fahrenheit = 21.1111111 degrees Celsius

This is a process where living microorganisms eat, reproduce, eat and whatnot so much they cause tempratures to rise into the low 100's to lower mid 100's.

Google says 100 degrees Fahrenheit = 37.7777778 degrees Celsius

We have to "turn" the materials to keep oxygen supplied to the microorganisms and to allow some heat to escape.

I'll have more on this later but you get the idea. Material is broken down into nutrient rich soil many refer to as compost.

I call this my base soil.

18. Randy High

It's the next morning and it's 72 degrees F or 22 Degrees C

It was a cold night so I was happy to see this temperature at 8:30 AM.

I stuck my hand in it to be sure and yes it's warm.

Has a bit of a vinegar smell so I think I have a little too much nitrogen but that's going to work out.

I'll give the Tumbler a turn later on today.

That was very fast!

19. SmokeWizzleEveryDizzle

SmokeWizzleEveryDizzle ~Movin on up'

Awesome information Randy, and its a real "easy read" the way its all broken down, props ma frizzle!

~Wizzle

20. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Great thread topic/Idea randy,just what we/i need...

Yeah echoe what everyone else has said,iv been waiting or should i say reading with interest as organics is what i love but you take it all to a hole new level:icon_salut:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>A lot of the ingrediants you use i already use but some of the other stuff is a real insight for sure,like the coffee,etc.I use a pre mixed organic soil(bio-bizz) and i use the same brand of organic nutrients to compliment each other and i add a few lil extras into my soil like the vermiculite,dolomite,etc but from what you have already posted im already LEARNING some neat stuff so cant wait to follow this thread right through to the end and hopefully the FAQS:thumbsup:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>What i like bout your organics randy is,when you go organic you REALLY go organic:rocker: Just like the lil tip you gave me bout using locally produced organic honey as a rooting agent for clones which worked great,although i did add a lil clone gel aswell just in case but got great results....LOOKING FORWARD TO LEARNING SOME REAL GOOD ORGANICS KNOWLEDGE IN THIS ONE RANDY.Peace:potleaf: