Marijuana has same lung effect as smoking

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by strawberry.cough, Aug 1, 2007.

1. strawberry.cough

strawberry.cough looking into the abyss

WELLINGTON, New Zealand, July 31 (UPI) -- A single marijuana joint has the same effect on the lungs as smoking up to five cigarettes at once, according to a New Zealand study.

Researchers at the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand base their findings on 339 adults up to the age of 70, selected from an ongoing study of respiratory health, and categorized into four different groups -- those who smoked only marijuana, equivalent to at least one joint a day for five years; those who smoked tobacco only, equivalent to a pack of cigarettes a day for at least a year; those who smoked both, and those who did not smoke either marijuana or tobacco.

Marijuana smokers complained of wheeze, cough, chest tightness and phlegm, but emphysema was only seen in those who smoked tobacco, either alone or in combination, according to the study published in the the journal Thorax.

However, marijuana smokers still damaged the lungs and stopped them from working properly. Marijuana diminished the numbers of small fine airways, which are important for transporting oxygen and waste products to and from the blood vessels effectively.

The extent of the damage by the marijuana was directly related to the number of joints smoked, with higher consumption linked to greater incapacity, according to the study.

2. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

This is nothing new. It's actually good news compared to the info I've heard thrown around in the past. I've heard that 1 joint is equivilant to 1 PACK of cigarettes, so 1/4 of a pack isn't that bad.

The important thing is that mj doesn't cause cancer like cigs, and it isn't as addictive, or cause the same kind of withdrawal symptoms as cigs. Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs there is. The whole drug classification system is backward. XTC and mj are among the safest, while alcohol and cigarettes are among the most dangerous. Yet we go to jail for mj and are encouraged to party with beer.

3. Homemade Lovin'

Homemade Lovin' Underground Grower

Well put HHG I couldn't have said it better myself!!

4. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I always wonder what kind of weed they are using for these studies...also things worry me like (as was referenced in the "increasing psychosis" article) saying that people GENERALLY smoke the STEMS, SEEDS, and LEAFS....sometimes these studies seem like they've ignored the entire IDEA of smoking weed and just took a plant, ground that shit up, and lit it up....like...we KNOW there is a science behind it, why can't they figure that out?

On the other hand, inhaling anything is not great on the body/lungs. :smoke2:

5. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

I'm having a hard time with this.

I see no links to that study on the net... No names or organization is listed.

It may be a bit of propaganda rather then an actual study.

It has all the earmarks of a DEA type disinformation attack.

If some one know where this study is posted let me know please.

On a personal note: I don't know about them but I can't finish one of my joints so I guess I'll live longer.

--------------------

I tried another search engine and found out more.

The Pulmonary Effects of Habitual Marajuana Use

[​IMG][​IMG]Studying lung function

The use of marijuana (cannabis) is widespread in New Zealand and its prevalence is increasing. The extent to which long term marijuana smoking causes lung damage and in particular emphysema is uncertain.

In a study headed by Dr Sarah Aldington, the structure and function of the lungs in a group of regular marijuana smokers will be compared with groups of tobacco smokers and non smokers. The investigations include CT scans, lung function, breathing and blood tests. From this study, it should be possible to know how many cigarettes are equivalent to smoking one marijuana joint, in terms of lung damage.

More details can be found at the Institute's website, including details of requirements for volunteers for the many other studies the Institute is undertaking.

----------------------

Marijuana has same lung effect as smoking

Tuesday, 31-Jul-2007 2:00PM CDT

Story from United Press International

Copyright 2007 by United Press International (via ClariNet)

WELLINGTON, New Zealand, July 31 (UPI) -- A single marijuana joint has the same effect on the lungs as smoking up to five cigarettes at once, according to a New Zealand study.

Researchers at the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand base their findings on 339 adults up to the age of 70, selected from an ongoing study of respiratory health, and categorized into four different groups -- those who smoked only marijuana, equivalent to at least one joint a day for five years; those who smoked tobacco only, equivalent to a pack of cigarettes a day for at least a year; those who smoked both, and those who did not smoke either marijuana or tobacco.

Marijuana smokers complained of wheeze, cough, chest tightness and phlegm, but emphysema was only seen in those who smoked tobacco, either alone or in combination, according to the study published in the the journal Thorax.

However, marijuana smokers still damaged the lungs and stopped them from working properly. Marijuana diminished the numbers of small fine airways, which are important for transporting oxygen and waste products to and from the blood vessels effectively.

The extent of the damage by the marijuana was directly related to the number of joints smoked, with higher consumption linked to greater incapacity, according to the study.

-------------------------

Now that I have read it I see it's a no brainer propped up to make marijuana look as deadly as tobacco.

It's mostly hype... Like we all don't know that smoke isn't good for us?

--------

A little about them.

I wonder who pays the bills there?

------------------------

Research - Medical Research Institute of New Zealand

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]In 2001 the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand was established as an independent medical research organisation. Under the direction of Professor Richard Beasley, it has become internationally recognised as one of New Zealand's major medical research organisations, publishing innovative research in high impact international journals.

The Institute has developed research programmes in the fields of alcohol and drug abuse, asthma, COPD, medical education, pharmacovigilance, stroke/rehabilitation, Maori and Pacific health, and venous thromboembolism (DVT). Significant advances have been made in each of these fields with exciting programmes in place for future work.

Based primarily in Wellington, the MRINZ conducts research throughout New Zealand with collaborators in Dunedin, Christchurch, Hastings, Hamilton, Tauranga and Auckland.

6. Dazechain

Dazechain Cured Fat Sticky Bud

...Randy...

...yer' pms are full...and in re: to this thread...I'll get back to ya'...on that...after closer inspection of the research.

7. strawberry.cough

don't be so defensive

you know what guys, it is not a huge stretch this research. All it says is that pot does lung damage but doesn't cause emphysema. How is that so hard to grasp? How is it even possible that common sense doesn't tell you that the study is probably right on. I have never smoked tobacco, but I have chronic copd and a hack, that is from smoking since 1976.

the study that I question is the one finding that pot makes folks schizophrenic. I just post the health stuff that comes to my mail box because I get tons of medical research, it is part of my job. Just thought it would be interesting to some. Oh and by the way, it doesn't say that pot doesn't cause cancer, it just states that it doesn't cause emphysema. If you know what emphysema is like that is good news not bad.

I doubt new zealand is owned by our DEA, but that is just my strange belief that america ain't the only place in the world.:punk:

8. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

I don't think anyone can say that smoking joints is 100% healthy

But I think we can all agree that mj is safer than cigs, alcohol, OTC meds, and big macs.

The governments need to leave our harmless weed alone and focus on real threats.

9. strawberry.cough

and that H:rolleyes2: appy is something I totally agree with, especially the big macs. I bet big mac's have killed more americans than smoking weed.... Oh and lets not forget every product that is coming in from china. Has anyone else wondered why we just don't stop getting our shit from enemies? I mean really....what's wrong with that picture?

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Sticky Skunky Buds

but emphysema was only seen in those who smoked tobacco. I never smoke tobacco, just weed, and that what I'm going to smoke for the rest of my life! So.... lets see how long I go before, I get lung cancer, you can get lung cancer from second hand smoke, even if you dont smoke. In my pov marijuana is very safe.

11. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Were enemies now? Hold on, let me get my list :rolleyes2:

12. snickelfritz

snickelfritz Weed College Hall Monitor

I think they should do the study again & include the effects on people that only use a vaporizer.:punk:

13. Scorpio

Scorpio Sticky Skunky Buds

^^^ I agree 100% good thinking^^^ I want a vap.

14. strawberry.cough

you know what, I give up, I am gone. What is it? I must just be the biggest creep around.

Are you the one personally making these products? And yes just in case you weren't aware china is not our friend. If you are chinese it wasn't personal, just like all of the hate for the germans after world war II wasn't personally directed at me.

What the fuck. I can't even post a crappy piece of research saying that smoking pot DOESN'T cause emphysema without everyone wanting to just go nuts on me. For crying out loud grow up.

I have enough drama in the real world. Shit on this. Oh and folks I have changed the setting so, don't email your puke to me anymore.

15. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Berry, I think she meant We (US) are now enemies with Them (China), as a social commentary on how many people we (US) are enemies with.....that's just how I read into it....hope something big isn't being made from something little.....I hope you are doing ok with the Drama in your real life, cause I hate to see the internet upset people....

Everything is gonna kill you, might as well be weed....even though.....

16. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Berry, holy crap dude chill out. It wasn't some kind of insult directed at you. Really now, smoke a bowl. Not everyone is out to get you, put you down, insult you, jump on ya, whatever. I can't speak for everyone, but I personally am not about that at all.

17. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Lion was right, just a poke at how many countries/people seem to be our enemies......gotta write em all down or I won't know who's who. :icon_confused:

18. snickelfritz

snickelfritz Weed College Hall Monitor

I think it was just a simple misunderstanding.

A comment taken out of context, nothing more.

Let's please try to be civil to each other.

We each have our fair share of drama in our real lives. This is a place to escape it for a while.

And always remember...

[​IMG]

It could be much worse!!! :icon_confused:

19. strawberry.cough

perhaps it is a misunderstanding with canna, but it sure as heck ain't with the garbage that hit my private email.

My apologizes canna, I am a bit touchy for some strange reason. Perhaps, it was the email telling me that I probably just sit on the computer all day sucking my own cock. Ummmm folks, I am a woman, last I looked I didn't have a penis, but obviously I have bigger balls than the jerk that sent me the email. I have the guts to say what I think without hiding behind a throw away e-mail address. Ummm yup you bet that made me really pissy, but then I am just super sensitive.:stop:

20. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Yeah it definately wasn't me who sent you that email, whoever it was has some serious issues. I'm not in denial, I know pulling smoke into my lungs on a daily basis isn't a good thing. People can say it all they want, but the fact is, it's obciously not good for our lungs. I go through wheezing phases and phlem phases too. But for me, and all of us, the benefits outway the downsides. Sending someone a completely rude and vulgar email anonymously is a pretty cowardly thing to do and I can say I never have and never will do that. I got some negative rep today for no apparent reason. Sometimes people just like to be petty and hide but they must remember there is someone who can see who gives what to who.............karma isn't completely private.......

Anywhos berry lady, I meant you no harm. I was very senstive here for a long time so I know what you feel like. Ur lucky, there were a lot of people who loved to crap on people but they are banned now. I had to learn that I have true friends here and sometimes have to think about things from other's perspective. I used to take a lot of things wrong and that just wasn't the way to be. Now all is well and hopefully will be for you too.