Marijuana Smoking Linked To Gum Disease

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by Randy High, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

Interesting... I'll just go brush my teeth now...

------------------------------

February 6, 2008

[​IMG]Hollywood (dbTechno) - A new study led by New Zealand researchers has linked smoking marijuana on a regular basis to gum disease.
    The study has stated that if you smoke marijuana as a young adult, it can lead to gum disease once you get to the age of 30, or even before.
    The study was conducted by researchers from the New Zealand Dunedin School of Medicine’s dental department.
    They tracked the smoking and dental habits of 903 people in 1972 and 1973.
    Leader of the study, W. Murray Thomson, stated “While it has been knkown for a few years that tobacco smoking is bad for the periodontal (gum) tissues, no one has investigated whether any other type of smoking is also a risk factor. We suspected we would indeed fund that cannabis whether any other type of smoking is also a risk factor. but what surprised us was the strength of the relationship.”
    Researchers found that those who used medical marijuana the most had a 60% increased risk of early periodontal disease. They also had a 3.1 times increased risk of a more advanced gum disease and a 2.2 times increased risk of losing a tooth due to gum disease.
    This was compared directly to those who did not smoke marijuana at all.

http://www.dbtechno.com/curiosity/2008/02/06/marijuana-smoking-linked-to-gum-disease/

has anyone noticed the New Zealand researcers before?

didn't they do the smoking and breathing study?

2. hygrade

hygrade _________________________

i don't really use my teeth for smoking anyway,oh well.

seriously,that sucks if they're right.come to think of it,i do know a few ppl that have been longtime smokers and have some serious grill issues,not all though.hell i'm 31,been smoking honestly almost everyday since 14,thats almost 17 years and never, ever had any mouth related issues other than getting mine busted a few times for not knowing when to close the damn thing.so maybe their results were an anomaly, maybe just more propaganda to frighten the masses.maybe i'm the anomaly,who knows? i say spit those babies out and fire up!i like applesauce anyway.:laughing5:

thanks for posting that randy,i completely missed i t in my morning news search

3. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

unless they gave detailed habits of other information about the dirt hippies they used, i say screw that. Yes i am not blind and am sure the smoke from marijuana can cause diseases, and maybe even cancer. There is probably a compound (S) in marijuana that can even cure cancer...who knows. (government probably wouldn't let it come out b/c of the population problem that already exists.) anyways, the other question i ask if what else did these hippies do during their 30 year test. I know not all 900 are souly marijuana smokers. The 60% accelerated pace was halfway from the meth addicts that were included, along with tobacco smokers. Who knows i bet a few of those guys did it all. That created very strong data points now doesn't it...I don't believe mujch od what I hear these days. Being a non drinker and a non smoker I am fine with smoke dope every day for the rest of my life. Gotta die of something right? If my lungs give out at 70, I will consider that an accomplishment by them.

*your lungs heal themselves, your liver doesn't*

4. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

unless they gave detailed habits of other information about the dirt hippies they used, i say screw that. Yes i am not blind and am sure the smoke from marijuana can cause diseases, and maybe even cancer. There is probably a compound (S) in marijuana that can even cure cancer...who knows. (government probably wouldn't let it come out b/c of the population problem that already exists.) anyways, the other question i ask if what else did these hippies do during their 30 year test. I know not all 900 are souly marijuana smokers. The 60% accelerated pace was halfway from the meth addicts that were included, along with tobacco smokers. Who knows i bet a few of those guys did it all. That created very strong data points now doesn't it...I don't believe much of what I hear these days. Being a non drinker and a non smoker I am fine with smoke dope every day for the rest of my life. Gotta die of something right? If my lungs give out at 70, I will consider that an accomplishment by them.

*your lungs heal themselves, your liver doesn't*

*the bush administration has lied over 900 times about the Iraq war. Fact *

P.S. sorry for the double post. something weird happened.

5. allsmilez

allsmilez snow bunny

Peridontis disease can be "caught" from sharing drinking glasses, etc, and it can be hereditary....what about sharing joints and pipes?...Yep, I can see it happening:angry: ....I have it,(sucks, BTW) and I got it(passed down via genetics) from my parents, they both had it. But any kind of "smoke" or harmful chemicals(soda pop, etc) will also eat away at your gums:icon_confused: .....:pottytrain1: I think they're just trying to find yet another reason that smoking weed is bad for you....Heck, not brushing on a regular basis will mess shit up, too.....Whatever....by the time ya reach 40-50, most are lucky to still have thier original teeth anyway....lol... :)

6. madhadder

madhadder seeking wisdom

i have been worrying about this. i have been smoking for about 10 years now. and my gums are starting to bleed when i brush too hard.. it gets me a lil worried.. but i love smoking pot so much.. maybe this would be some incentive to ease up on the smoking. gingivitis runs in my family though. so maybe thats why my gums are so sensative.

7. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Not to mention they did not take into factor:

-The income level of the smokers, I would imagine there is a higher marijuana use among poorer people who can not afford health care.

-How about the use of other drugs? Crack don't make your teeth exactly healthy.

-Brushing habits, which until recently I did not know I had been brushing wrong all these years, and now I have some very large looking choppers because of gum decay.

-What has been said: hereditary disposition to the disease, as well as environmental factors (passing it along through a joint)

-They tested MEDICAL MARIJUANA users, who presumably would already have PREEXISTING medical conditions (hence the medical use of pot) that could also contribute to tooth loss and gum decay (stress, anxiety, depression, lowered immune system, etc, can all lead to other problems in your body)

I don't trust "facts" on either side, just from what I've been shown to be true time and time again: Things change, scientist do not know shit beyond a few simple truths, and cannabis is awesome....:smoke2:

8. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

Smoke everyday

Get a cleaning & checkup once per year

Irie

9. geheim

geheim Excommunicated

riht on

i go every six months, i use a oral B rechargable tooth brush with inter changable brushing heads, that way wife and I and any one else that needs to brush, can. Its not expensive, and also use sensodyne toothpaste, you will be in good shape. If you smoke crack, or shoot meth, or any of that shit, your teefffes will fall the fuck out.

trust me ive seen some good looking girls, wif no teeth, cause they couldnt stop taking a bump.

10. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

11. nikoatnight

nikoatnight Full Flowering

I don't know??? I've been smoking cigs since 8 and weed 12 ( chronic ) I'm now 44 and my mouth and teeth are in perfect condition. Yes their my own teeth,lol.

12. weedwacker

weedwacker Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Just another bullshite "clinical" study tailored to get the desired results. If there's an increased likelyhood that a stoner will get gum disease its because they forget to brush.:qbluewacko: You can brush the crap out of your teeth and still have problems if you don't floss. It's incredible how much garbage you can floss out after brushing with an Oral B or any other method of brushing alone. Chronic bad breath is usually an early sign of gingivitis and flossing is the easiest solution. If your gums are bleeding you already have it and if you won't get rid of it with brushing alone.

I'm with you on the meth thing. When I was young one of our running buddies had the hottest girlfriend. You know the one that could be a Cowboys Cheerleader type. Then she turned into a toothless crank whore in less than a year. What a waste!