maybe its too personel but..What do you do for a living??

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by CCrete, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Automotive service Advisor for a Dealership. :redbong:

2. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

So how do I get the best trade-in-value for my girl's beat up oldsmobile. I'm not trying to be disshonest in any way...just trying to figure out some key things you guys look for.

3. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

An oldsmobile has next to no trade value. Unless it's a cutty the homeboys can put 22's on.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
  4. Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky Hurricane wrestler.......

I built communication towers and bridges for almost 20 years. I got hurt a few years ago and I'm doing the college thing now.

MAD MAX

5. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Mechanical Engineer for 13-14 years.

After a couple spine surgeries, can't get hired back.

I now own a custom hot rod shop.

Oh, I do some breeding of cannabis once in a while too.

6. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Anything we've heard of around here :rofl6:

Custom hot rods?? I figured you more for the mad scientist type bioengineer weed to counteract Monsanto

7. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

I'm a nuclear medicine technologist... Went back to school at age 38... Got my degree at 40. My job is very rewarding. Too bad its one of a few areas in healthcare that's declining

8. Useless

Bit of both. But Im just an old punk rocker. Hot rods are in my blood. My grandpa used to build cars for the moonshiners during prohibition. After that was repealed, he built engines for nascar dirt track racers. He taught my dad, and dad taught me. I remember when I was 5 dad bought a lifted dodge power wagon. He is short and couldn't really reach into the engine compartment without a ladder, so he would throw me in there. I'd sit on the inner fender and adjust the carb etc while he told me what to do. Since I cant work doing what I used to do, I opened a shop. Just seemed like a natural progression. And there is nothing like cranking up a 750 BHP motor for the first time.

9. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Hey Use, im lookin for a nice California car hotrod type, lookin for a late 40' to 50's 2 door Buick, obviously a Merc would be the thing to get but that's not in my range right now, lookin to chop n slam it, airride system, tuck all the tires away, 454 or something like......any ideas or pics you could blast my way?

10. Useless

Something like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dig the Buicks. Nothing wrong with a nice Merc though.

[​IMG]

I got a buddy that can be convinced to sell his '53 Merc Monterey two door hardtop. Its all original mechanically. Original 255 CI Flathead V-8 with the 2 speed mercruiser trans. Cosmetically it has newer paint and interior. Runs and drives really nice. I'll send you some pics if you are interested.

11. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Nice Use. Got an old Ford flathead in the barn looking for a home....and a "77 Triumph Bonneville...and an iron head xlch bobber project....of course none of them are finished:roffl: Ain't that always the way? Finished are the survivor '79 cj5 Silver Anniversary edition and the '73 Cali custom VW beetle.

I be a bail bondsman, property manager, or snowboard instructor depending on what day it is.

:passsit:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
  12. CCrete

that first pic is my dream of all dreams......literally takes my breath away

looks like maybe 50k retail?

13. Useless

RR- Just the engine? What year? How many bolts are on the heads?

CC - I would guess about that range. The chop can run upwards of 15-20K for something like that. It isn't an easy task. Then add in all the body work, chroming all that trim, airbags, interior, and whatever you want for the drive train. It adds up quick.

I just picked up a 1949 Ford F1 as a project for myself. Got a 460 CID Ford "big block" I'm going to make produce around 600 BHP, c6 trans, 9" rear end etc. Just have to get working on her. Fun fun fun. Can't wait to pull up next to some guy in his Nova and laugh when he chokes on the rubber getting spit out. hahahaha

14. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

Im a tool and die maker but i quit that and started the greenhouse so now i do a bunch of flowers in the spring, a bit of produce through the summer and of coarse a nice big crop of the ganjah. I also do a bunch of whatever, ive worked with sprinklers for quite a few years, been workin on cars since i was 16, got a welder and do a few jobs a year and now i just bought a backhoe so im sure i will get some friends with there own business that will need some work done with that here and there.

15. ResinRubber

Dude, I never looked at it until after you asked. A guy told me he had a V8 flathead he was tossing this summer so I told him to put it in the machine shed. Pulled the crap off the top today and what do I find? Sorry about the shitty pics. It was cold and I used my phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unless somebody corrects me...I'm calling it a big nailhead and dynaflow tranny.:flipando:

16. Useless

all I can tell from the pics is it ain't a flathead. But with the dynaflow trans, it could be a nail. The df trans are from early model buicks from '48 until the 62 or 63 I think. Can you get some clear pics of the casting numbers on the block? I can tell you exactly what it is with those.

17. ResinRubber

I'll be at the farm tomorrow and will take some clearer pics of the block. Got me thinking now...find an old cj2 and build a rat rod?

[YOUTUBE]z0ish567ZgU[/YOUTUBE]

18. CCrete

that is SICK res...god I need a custom ride

im building a shop/garage in a few months, then my friend, it WILL be time to do so

19. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Ive spent my life working through the accountancy profession. Ive done most jobs within the field, but im now the Financial Controller of a company and sit on the board.

20. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I've had my mitts in a lot of things. I've worked since I was 12. At that age it was working at a cemetary cutting grass and bushes, driving the tractor around, painting iron fences. At 13 it was cleaning the brooks around town, pulling tires, carts and shit out of the water and swinging sickles around cutting the brush. 14-15 was working at the best pizza and sub shop in the area, which at that time consited(?) of 3 or 4 towns. At 16 I got a job for the summer in charge of cutting trees for the colleges around the city and painting the classrooms. At 17 I was doing construction. Fixing over the old mills mostly. Using swing stages and pipe staging. A few years of that (8-10 off and on) and during the winters it was sometimes construction, sometimes painting, working in a mill doing shipping, building furniture. I also worked for the city in the water dept. There I all kinds of jobs which entailed changing HUGE tanks of clorine at the intake pumps from the river, taking samples of the water and learning from the chemist how to do the tests, reading the controls and keeping the resivor full and the city's pumps running. A lot of these jobs where at the same time. I worked 16-20 hours a day for a long time.From there I also worked for the city in meter and sign shop. That was a really strange one. I was working the police deptment's garage. I would do repairs to their cruisers and Harley's. Then it was doing parking meters, making signs for the city, paint crosswalks, jackhammers for sign post. I did that for about 4-5 years, then I went to the job I have now which is a federal job that has been screwing me for the last 4 years. Now you guys know more about me than most people I know, sooooo, now you all must die.