Medical marijuana dispensaries

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by AndrewCalifornian, Mar 1, 2017.

1. AndrewCalifornian

AndrewCalifornian New Member

If you are a new medical marijuana patient or have not used a marijuana dispensary to get your medication before, you may have some questions about how dispensaries work and how to choose the right one for your personal needs and preferences. The following article will introduce you to dispensaries and offer useful guidelines to help you choose one.
    What are Medical Marijuana Dispensaries?
    [​IMG]
    Medical marijuana dispensaries are places where marijuana is distributed for medical use. They are legally allowed under state law in many locations across the United States – spanning the country from California, which was the first state to allow their establishment, all the way to Rhode Island. In states where the medical use of cannabis has been legalized, dispensaries are one of the primary ways that marijuana patients are able to get the medicine they need. Although allowed under state law, the sale or distribution of marijuana remains illegal under federal law. These dispensaries are known by a variety of names, including:

• Marijuana Dispensaries
    • Marijuana or Cannabis Collectives
    • Marijuana or Cannabis Cooperatives or Co-ops
    • Marijuana Pharmacies
    • Pot Parlors
    • Pot Shops
    • Marijuana or Cannabis Clinics
    • Cannabis Clubs
    • Cannabis Wellness Centers
    Although they may have a variety of names, legitimate medical cannabis dispensaries have a few things in common. They generally have a relationship with local cultivators, offering marijuana that is grown in surrounding areas. They also usually offer a variety of types of cannabis to aid in treating a number of medical conditions, including cancer, arthritis, AIDs, chronic and nerve pain, glaucoma, seizures, colitis, and more. They operate under state and local laws and maintain the regulations and guidelines required by those laws. They provide a safe and secure way to obtain the medical marijuana you need when you need it. These commonalities ensure that marijuana dispensaries are able to remain open and provide this important service to their local patients.
    Medical Marijuana Dispensaries in California
    [​IMG]
    In 1996 California passed the Compassionate Use Act, allowing the use of medical marijuana for the treatment of certain medical conditions. A later bill implemented an identification card system for patients and caregivers and included other modifications to the original act. With these laws in place, patients throughout the state were able to grow, use, and transport cannabis for medical purposes. Medical marijuana dispensaries soon followed, providing cannabis to patients under state law. California dispensaries are allowed to dispense cannabis legally by following the collective and cooperative cultivation guidelines established in the state. California requires dispensaries to meet certain guidelines and apply for a license in order to operate. Many individuals, groups, and organizations have opened and continued to operate dispensaries in the state, providing an estimated 16 million ounces of marijuana to California patients annually.

To dispense a dispensary must abide by the state’s guidelines, complete the necessary paperwork, and maintain certain standards. First and foremost, California requires dispensaries to maintain a non-profit status and prevents them from cultivating or distributing cannabis for a profit. Additionally, growers and patients must join the dispensary as members, and the dispensary is required to properly regulate membership. Only members who join the collective and present the proper are allowed to buy or sell cannabis. Dispensaries are also required to properly track all marijuana that enters and exits their place of business. These records should be securely maintained. In addition to properly securing their files, medical marijuana dispensaries must also establish proper security practices to protect their product and their members.

When joining a medical marijuana collective, you may be required to complete certain tasks. The majority of these tasks are required under state law for the dispensary to remain open. This includes completing a written application, presenting your , allowing your card to be copied, providing your recommending establishment’s name and contact information, and signing a contract agreeing not to illegally distribute or supply the medical cannabis you purchase at the dispensary. If you are not asked to complete all of the tasks, double-check to ensure the dispensary is operating with a proper license. Make sure that you have the proper documentation, identification, and information with you on your first visit to ensure you are able to get your medicine as soon as possible.
    What to Look for in a Medical Marijuana Dispensary?
    [​IMG]
    If you need cannabis to treat a medical condition, finding a dispensary is one of the easiest ways to get the medicine you need. Although it is possible to cultivate cannabis yourself, growing can be somewhat challenging and requires a commitment of time and resources. A dispensary provides an alternative to the do it yourself option, allowing you to conveniently get the medical marijuana that has been recommended to treat your condition without the hassle and wait time associated with growing your own. There are numerous dispensaries in the state of California, which can make choosing which one is right for you a little tricky. Before settling on the first dispensary you see, you will want to carefully consider the following important factors. Make sure the medical cannabis dispensary you choose has:
    A Legitimate License
    [​IMG]
    Before choosing a medical cannabis dispensary, it is important that you confirm the legitimacy of their license. According to the , all medical marijuana dispensaries in California must be properly licensed in order to be considered legal in the state. California state law requires a dispensary owner to complete specific steps to get and maintain their license, including maintaining standards, regulating their membership, properly tracking their product, and maintaining other requirements. A medical marijuana dispensary license protects the dispensary and its clients from potential legal issues. If you choose a dispensary that does not have a license you could risk loss of access to your medicine, delays in getting your medicine, or worse, potential legal or criminal repercussions.
    A Convenient Location
    [​IMG]
    Another important consideration when choosing the right medical marijuana collective or dispensary is the location. Although state law in California allows the medical use of marijuana and the establishment of marijuana collectives or cooperatives to dispense the medication, certain counties have additional laws that prohibit dispensaries from being established within their county lines. There are a variety of medical marijuana dispensary locator options online. You can use a Google search for medical marijuana dispensaries near me, check out listings on popular sites like Yelp or cannabis-focused Weed Maps or Leafly, or stick to the most popular dispensaries as listed in this article from
    A Reasonable Price Structure
    [​IMG]
    Pricing is an important consideration when it comes to any purchase – especially those that you have to make on a recurring basis. Your medical cannabis purchases are no different. You will want to find a dispensary that has prices that you find reasonable. Dispensaries are legally allowed to set their own prices. According to California-based law firm, medical marijuana distributors can charge prices they consider reasonable, offer marijuana in exchange for services, or provide it free of charge.
    A Positive Reputation
    [​IMG]
    As with any product or service provider, user reviews are available for most well-established medical marijuana dispensaries. Before joining a collective, determine if other patients had a positive experience by checking out the ratings and available online. You may also want to take an opportunity to meet the staff and determine if they are friendly and knowledgeable. You want a marijuana dispensary that provides you with a good experience, ensures your needs are met, and can answer any questions you might have. This will ensure you feel comfortable getting your medicine when you need it and can help ensure you get the type of cannabis best suited for your condition and treatment goals.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2017
  2. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

"Although it is possible to cultivate cannabis yourself, growing can be somewhat challenging and requires a commitment of time and resources."

I've heard that before, somewhere. Tell me more...

"Before choosing a medical cannabis dispensary, it is important that you confirm the legitimacy of their license."

I'll bet that'd go over well.

Too funny... But very creative, as spam goes.

blazerwill420, nippie and Lvstickybud like this.
  3. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

let me know if i missed links.

i'll add, most of that is kinda misleading, i'm not a cali resident and purchased marijuana in front of a cop in San Fran.

4. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Its confusing from state to state, You should see the mess in Fl right now, $250 for a gram of legal cbd oil. Crazy. By July is the deadline for the new law write-ups and some countys passing 90 day wait laws. Everyone is so confused as to whats legal and what will be legal. I feel the state should make a better attempt to inform the people of whats going on behind the scenes.

5. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

We were tailgating at an A's game and standing there talking to the Oakland PD and smoking a fat joint. They don't give a fuck.

6. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

And if things stay true to form they will get worse. Store they get better.

7. Justcheckingitout

Wouldnt it be great to have your own mom and pop shop, sell what you grow, help others, meet cool and fucked up people, like a old western general store. Those days are long gone.

8. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

regs prog haven't been written yet.

we legalized last year, still haven't got the final final regs, but will shortly. it takes forever.

honestly they are trying to block co and ca style laws in the newer states so the states have more control over it. whats crazy here is the application fees and licenses. hell its 200k to make edibles to the state every year, same as dispensaries.

9. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

That's to keep out the little guy. Amazing we still haven't learned the too big to fail lesson of 2008. But governments who create regulatory barriers to entry into an industry is old school. All your dyed-in-the-wool capitalists tend to forget the little government model when convenient. Where's Donald Trump Regulation Slayer when you need him? Oh wait that's just regulations PREVENTING big business from screwing the competition and the consumer.

What a joke. OK, we will legalize this. If you have a million bucks. If not? Off to jail you go.

ResinRubber likes this.
  10. SuperMoChombo

And fuck this spam ass hat and his dispensaries. Sounds like a place you go to take a shit.

"Honey, you ready to go?"
    "Yeah, just gotta hit the dispensary first."

11. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I think this is some of the nicest spam I have seen in a very long time. Andrew C your more than welcome to come to GK and hang out but let keep advertising spam out please. :Smoking:

ResinRubber and nippie like this.
  12. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I have to admit that this is the nicest spam I have seen here on GK. :water pipe smoker:
    Mr Andrew C your more than welcome to hang out here at GK but please leave all spam at the door please before you come in. Thanks.
    Guys even with legalization here in MA, you still wont be able to buy as an adult with out a med card untill mid 2018 in stores. Thats the frustrating part.

Lvstickybud likes this.
  13. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

14. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

That's what I'm shooting for. Be a regional brand with a community presence and decent product you can count on made by my own hands.

Probably never gonna happen tho and I'll just die an illegal old grower. Some slinger will find me one day in my barn among a brown dead unwatered garden after I miss a lunch meeting exchange. Then he/she will bail out and place an anonymous call to the cops to haul my shitty pants'ed bloated corpse from the now crime scene of a horrid drug dealer caught in his greengrow lab hurting children and strangling puppies. At least that's what the neighbors will say when the story comes out in the local news.

yay......

Lvstickybud likes this.
  15. Justcheckingitout

They had a story on the news about a "major" grow house bust with 25 plants. Lol. When they show the plants they are big but its not like the whole house was loaded up.

The first local shop opened up in orlando last week. I guess you can walk in. I dont have a card but I would like to go see what they got. Must be all oil for now till the july law write up comes out.

16. SuperMoChombo

Long live popcorn sutton

17. Justcheckingitout

:crying:....Popcorn is dead.....

18. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

19. Justcheckingitout

Yes he did, last words, mainly geared twards the IRS and the atf, the liquor commission. He didnt want to do amything with the gov involved but once he became famouse for his liquor he became as famous with the law and they drove him to kill himself. He wasnt going to do jail time even though it wasnt a major longtime , at his age it might as well been a lifetime. The master moonshiner will live forever in the hearts of all us illegal do'ers. We are all a partly the same.

20. SuperMoChombo

Best moments of my life we spent chuckling with friends, half drunk, packing clay round my shine still....