MH to Hps conversion bulbs, how are they?

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by bigbudboy, Jan 22, 2003.

1. bigbudboy

bigbudboy Germinated

I have seen these Metal Halide bulbs that can work in Hps lighting systems, and I was just wondering if anyone has any information about them. Such as, do they work just as good as a regular Metal Halide system? Replies are much appreciated.

2. CLOSETGROWTH

CLOSETGROWTH Banned

Why convert to MH?.. An Hps setup is the only way to go!!

3. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

I'm confused. First you say MH to HPS conversion....then you say HPS to MH conversion....which is it?

4. greenthumb420

greenthumb420 Hash Engineer

Which ever type you're going to convert i will tell you this.Conversion bulbs donot have as many lumens as the regular bulb and they don't last as long.Personally before i would spend $80.00 on a conversion bulb i would kick in a few extra bucks and just buy another system which i did and don't regret it.

5. hydro convert

hydro convert Developed Alternating Nodes

Just FYI, I run a conversion bulb. The lighting system is a 400MH with a convertible ballast. The HPS bulb is 360W, that reason for it being a lower rating has something to due with the igniter when you first turn it on. I can't give you much details as to why this is like this because I really don't know much about electric stuff. But I do like my lights alot. From reading in my Growers guide, Ed Rosenthal states that the HPS puts out 15% more light than the MH so if that is correct then the bulb would be comparable to the 400MH (360+ [.15(360)]=414) But I may be figuring this wrong or not quite understanding something completely. Bottom line for me- it's much better than the flos I was using.

BTW; I heard on the radio this morning Rosenthal was busted again with over 3000 plants and is facing life imprisonment

6. 67ranchero

67ranchero Cured Fat Sticky Bud

My lights run on switchable ballasts, and use 1kw MH/ 1kw HPS bulbs. I always use the MH for veg, it has more blue spectrum and a hidden benefit is that your bulbs last longer if you split the grow between MH and HPS. And HPS bulbs are friggen expensive!

7. Bud4You

Bud4You Guest

Hey 67ranchero..I'm using the same light set up as you. My seeds are still under fluoros until they sprout,but then will switch to 750wMH for veg and 1000wHPS for flowering. How far away should I hang my MH from the tops of the seedlings,or should I stay with fluoros until their a little taller? If so how long? Any info you could provide me with I sure could use,since this is my first grow.How long do you leave them under MH before switching to HPS? What ferts and when?? Sorry for rambling on but I just hope to get this close to right as possible and know the basics, but thought you might have some good advice.

Thanks..B4Y

8. 67ranchero

67ranchero Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Hi Bud, I leave my sprouts under flos for a week, then 60 days under MH. As for how close, hold your hand over the top of the plant, directly under the light. If the back of your hand gets hot, the light is too close. If your hand stays cool, bring the light down until you feel heat, then back it off a couple of inches. You will need to raise the light daily as the plants grow.

For ferts, Peters 20-20-20 starting with 1/4 strength dose @ 3rd week of veg. 1/2 strength@ 4th week of veg, and full strength starting 5th week and every week until flower starts. Water when the soil is dry @ 2" deep with water/superthrive mix, and use large pots, at least 5gal, but bigger is better. Have lots of fresh air, and control your temps, and you should be on your way. Check back in 60 days from now and we can talk flower cycle.

9. hellostupid

hellostupid Stupid Iz. Stupid Duz.

:beer:I think that u switchable ballast growers aren't valid candidates to properly answer bigbudboy'z question about conversion bulbs.  

:bug:Most of u growers answered that u own a switchable ballast...which don't require conversion bulbs(jus' switchable onez)...meaning that u guyz never overpaid for one of 'em inbetweener bulbz.

:light:I would like to hear from someone who has actually ordered one of 'em conversion bulbz and can tell us more about 'em...

:cool:I jus recently bought a 400 hps and plan to veggy another 2wks before flowerin' with my new 400hps toy...:biggrin:  Got 2 wkz & still haven't built tha flowerin chamber yet(i still don't know how...my 1st HPS:cheesy:...:puke:

:)My 4ft flouros are A OK & I don't feel the need to replace 'em with a MH for my 2'x4' chamber.  Now if my chamber was a 4'x4'...of course that would be a different story!!!!

:confused: Aren't conversion bulbs for folkz who have only 1 chamber to Veggy&Flower with!?!  How 'bout the growerz who have a seperate chamber for each...wouldn't buying a MH for the veggy room be tha only logical choice?

:smokin:happy growin:smokin:

(Edited by ismoke2much at 2:54 am on Jan. 24, 2003)

10. greenthumb420

You're right ismoke2much convertable ballasts and conversion bulbs are 2 different things.I stand by my previous post.You can veg under hps but in my experience you will get bushier and more growth with MH for veg.

11. Administrator

I used a 360W HPS conversion bulb for flower and it did great. I was able to squeeze as much as I could, but found that I wanted more. Even a 400W HPS did a btter job of things, but I went 430W hybrid. Hybrids have been my choice all around for both veg and flower.

12. bigbudboy

bigbudboy Germinated

The whole reason I asked this question was because I am thinking about purchasing a 400 watt HPS system, for flowering, and a 400 watt MH conversion bulb ($57) for vegitative growth. I just wanted opinions on the bulbs.it be worth it for me to get a 430 watt agro sun hps instead of just the normal 400 watt hps bulb?

13. greenthumb420

You won't regreat getting the son agro.

14. Administrator

I found a new 430W setup on ebay for under 2 bones.