My 2011 Outdoor Grow Results for Northern Lights, White Widow and Le Fruit Defendu

Discussion in 'Outdoor Cultivation' started by 420/24/7/4/12, Dec 2, 2011.

1. 420/24/7/4/12

420/24/7/4/12 Excommunicated

Although I am new to this site, I am not new to growing. I have 25+ with both indoor and outdoor gardens, with most of my experience in outdoors guerrilla growing. Until recently, I have only grown strains developed by myself. To be a contributing member to the site I thought I would share some information about the strains I obtained through some online seedbanks, the place I obtained the seeds from, a report of how they grew, when they were ready for harvest and a smoke report for each.

This year I harvested three strains that I purchased from an outside seed bank. I bought feminized Northern Lights seeds from http://www.marijuana-seeds.nl/index.html and feminized White Widow and Le Fruit Defendu seeds from http://www.amsterdammarijuanaseeds.com/. I bought from these seed banks based on this seed bank review website; http://www.marijuanaseedbanks.com/ . This was the second year that I grew the Northern Lights and the results this year were identical to last year. In their description, they claimed that the Northern Lights would be done by mid Sept., the White Widow in month 8/9 which I interpreted as being done for sure by the end of Sept. and the Le Fruit Defendu, which was claimed to be ready by the beginning of Sept. As I stated, I was looking for strains that would be ready by mid Sept., as I have found through the years that the risk of things being found, go up dramatically after this time because the archery deer season here in Michigan starts on October 1st and activity in the woods increases because of this. The risk of mold problems also increase here in MI after mid Sept. as well. I did look into these strains on other websites and although some did have different harvest estimates, the majority were close to the harvest times given on the site I purchased the seeds from.

First I grow near 42* latitude where the longest day is 15.1 hours. I start all of my mother plants that will later be cloned in mid March. One thing I can say about all of these seeds is that they are very stabilized, where all of the phenotype's were very similar with the only main difference being the growth rate/size of the plant. All of the material that came off all of the pheno's was identical as far as quality is concerned. To keep plant size down, I do not plant the clones until late in May and I plant them up until they start to flower, with more of them being planted later then earlier. All of the clones are old and the same age, as I start the mothers in March, so all of the clones start to flower at the same time regardless of the size. I prepare most of my sites by pre-tilling the area's, adding manure and compost as well as some Terra Sorb polymer crystals that hold water, which I HIGHLY recommend for use if you want to maintain the plants as little as possible or if you live in an area that does not get regular rain. I also have some 5 gallon+ containers with high grade potting soil, with hole in the bottom and wicks and these sit in swamps where it usually requires waders to get to them. I water all of the plants with a compost tea, a micronutrient fertilizer and Grow Max Thrive when the clones are first planted and again before flowering and if it is to dry. Clones are grown under 24hrs light, in plantable peat pots to 6"-8" tall, and then topped to again keep their height down.

The White Widow was first to show sign of flowering on July 15th, which at 42* still has close to 15 hours of daylight, 14.8 to be exact. This means that it basically started to flower as soon as the days got shorter. The Northern Lights and Le Fruit Defendu started to flower in the last week of July closer to Aug 1st which has closer to 14 hours of light, 14.3 to be exact. Of the three, the White Widow was the fastest growing and had the tallest plants, although that did not mean that the amount harvested per plant was more.

Well this year I harvested most of all three strains on Sept 30th because I did not want to chance letting them go when deer season started the next day and this year was very wet in the last three weeks of Sept. which created some mold problems with the densest buds. I did let a few plants of each strain grow until I thought they were ready. Of the three strains mentioned, NONE of them were ready IMO by Sept. 30, when all three were claimed to be ready no later then mid Sept. They were very close and some people may have considered them done by then but IMO all three could have gone longer. There is now doubt that these were no where close to being done by the dates claimed. The White Widow, which started flowering first, would only have been flowering for 6-7 weeks by the date it was claimed to be done, which is fast for any strain under the amount of light plants receive here at this time. From the plants that I did allow to grow to what I thought was the perfect time to harvest the following results were found. The Northern Lights is ready for harvest from Oct. 7-15th and this was the same as the previous year. The White Widow was the closest of the three to be ready but the optimum time to harvest them would have been in another week around Oct 6th. The Le Fruit Defendu was very similar to the the Northern Lights being ready from Oct. 7-15th. None of these harvest times were anywhere close to the estimates given in the descriptions. Every description stated that they would be done from early to mid Sept. and IMO the estimates were all 30 days earlier then the actual date. The Northern Lights has to have the highest bud to leave ratio I have ever seen. I am VERY meticulous when it comes to manicuring and it only takes 3-4 hours to manicure a pound of DRY buds. This made it a favorite regardless of the yield per plant. The White Widow had an average bud to leave ratio and was the hardest to manicure with the Le Fruit Defendu being in the middle.

Now how did each strain finish/smoke? First I will describe each. All three are obvious hybreds with a higher percentage being Indica. The Northern Lights has a ton of crystals and the buds are very dense. The smell and taste what I would describe as a spicy, fruity, with a toxic chemical odor. The smoke is very smooth and it is felt immediately after inhaling. The Le Fruit Defendu is pretty much as its name says. This is supposed to be Light of Jah, which is one of the many good hazes out there, crossed with Blueberry. The smell is absolutely amazing and it smells like some old Bubblelicious fruit flavored gum I used to chew back in the 80's. It to is covered with crystals and the buds are very dense as well. The White Widow 's buds were not nearly as dense as the other two. It also did not have the crystals of the other two. The smell was slightly spicy with mostly just that toxic smell that tells you its good.

If I had to rate these three in order from best to worst, I would rate like this;

#1 Northern Lights

#2 Le Fruit Defendu

#3 White Widow

I actually grew one of my own strains this year and I would rank that above the White Widow as well. I was very disappointed in the White Widow as it is supposed to one of the best strains out there. Now this may be that it was NOT from the original breeder of the strain and therefore it may not be exactly the same. Either way, the White Widow seeds I got were nothing special IMO. They didn't meet up to the amount of crystals or the effect that I had heard about.

As I mentioned, this was the second year for the NL and after having it this year and being able to compare it to 3 other strains, it is definitely one of my favorite strains of all time. I say this because the only strain I had last year was NL and I smoked nothing else. This year with 3 other strains, it still clearly gets me higher then any of the others, which says a lot when I smoked it for the last year. Now again this is always subjective as everyone likes something different. The high of the NL is both cerebral and physical. Narcotic is the best description I have seen. If you like opiates, then this is your strain. It is definitely a happy, laughing, euphoric high that you can feel physically as well. Very nice sit around on the couch and chill with some friends weed.

At a close second would be the Le Fruit Defendu. I took a chance on this strain since I had never heard of it before and I am glad I took the chance. The effect of this stuff is more of a sativa high then an indica, like the NL. The look and smell of this bud give it a lot of points as well. Of the three, the yield on this strain was the worst, but this doesn't ever bother me as I just grow more plants, which is easier done outside then in.

Now I would also like to share with you what my friends and other people think because as I said not everyone has the same opinion. When I lay all three of these out together, the number one choice and the one I can get the most for, is the Le Fruit Defendu. Even though the effect on the NL is better, the smell is so good that everyone thinks this is the best. Without question the worst is the White Widow. It doesn't look as good or smell as toxic/good as the others and wouldn't luck have it, it is what I have the most of.

Here are some pics of each, in its fully cured ready to smoke form. I have pics of the plants and buds while growing, but to me all plants look alike and what they look like growing doesn't mean as much as what they look like when they are done. Plus there are other reasons why I do not like to post pics of plants.

Well I would upload the pics if I knew why I keep getting an error when I do. They are .jpg files that are less then 110KB so why the error I have no idea.

2. dlr42

dlr42 King of GrowKind

Holy shit! That is one hell of a first post!!!!!!!!!!!!

To stoned to read all that right now.

Welcome to the show.

Peace......

3. 420/24/7/4/12

Yeah its long but I type REAL fast. I am also new and wanted to contribute some good info to establish myself. It is well worth the read if you plan to order seeds from the places I did, as they had some inaccurate info. If you obtained seeds from the same places, then I think it is worth the long read.

Hope it helps someone out!

4. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Now that is a grow report. Very well done. Your going to get a lot of requests for pictures to be put up. Maybe one of the admin. can help you get them up.

5. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Right on brother!

And :-welcome-:

6. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

Damnation and hello to you as well.

You do make one hell of an entrance.

Welcome aboard:-welcome-:

BBT:animbong::animbong::animbong:

7. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

I have to admit. Thats was damn too long to read! im not sober here.

8. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Did you ever get the pic thing straightened out? If not, let me know. I can walk ya through it step by step.

We love those pics :alienwink:

FF

9. 420/24/7/4/12

Still can't get any photo's to upload. I know how to do it. I just keep getting an error saying that the upload failed. The file meets the requirements so it must be that I am new??? Sent a PM to The Apprentice, but his inbox is full. Also sent one to MrGreenjeans but I have not received a reply yet.

Does anyone know of another website that anyone can access, to host the pics?

10. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

The Apprentice is out of commission at the moment. If you want, hit me up in PM and we'll figure out what's up.

11. JesseJamesBond

JesseJamesBond Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

MUST RE-SIZE BEFORE UPLOADING these days.

:passsit:

12. 420/24/7/4/12

I am trying my best to get the pics up. I want to post them here directly instead of having a link offsite. I am working with a Mod and there may be a problem with me being new and a recent software upgrade. I am sure they will get it worked out and I will get some pics up soon.

I would like to get some feedback from some other people that have obtained seeds from the two companies that I obtained the above mentioned seeds from. In my report I mention that the estimate times for harvest were WAY off. Some were off as much as 3 weeks and there was no consistency in the errors. I am not trying to knock any company in any way, I would just like to get a clarify some of the information they advertise. If anyone has obtained seeds from the same places, can you please post how accurate the information, such as flowering time, harvest time outdoor(if available), etc. Thanks

13. 420/24/7/4/12

:passsit:

:nopics:

14. 420/24/7/4/12

OK here are the pics;First two pics are or the Northern Lights, second two are of the Le Fruit Defendu.

Northen Lights.jpg

Northern Lights close.jpg

La Fruit.jpg

La Fruit close.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/57a6ca3c281e3_NorthenLights.jpg.dbf48802f99f993473709313cf45c217.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/57a6ca3c34315_NorthernLightsclose.jpg.c54e94d3fe6b228ccdf5a6fc278d6bb1.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/57a6ca3c42e3c_LaFruit.jpg.861af663547db857875b6d2e3f6906b3.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/57a6ca3c51cda_LaFruitclose.jpg.7a3b8aae208db67942faae26a6b7cb29.jpg

15. 420/24/7/4/12

Here is the White Widow and a personal strain of mine.

WW.jpg

WW close.jpg

Z1.jpg

Z1 close.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/WW.jpg.42790ff6693ebc702440cab3d1dba081.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/57a6ca3c743ef_WWclose.jpg.3dd7666181e6ffb7f87076309a826781.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/Z1.jpg.2e2018dae6975df3d1a40b5ad3c35187.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/57a6ca3c9367b_Z1close.jpg.1e365b29dcb6f5764c7e5c07781562e6.jpg

16. 420/24/7/4/12

My avatar is one picture of a plot and here are some more;

filed of dreams.jpg

friend23.jpg

friend24CLOSEUP.jpg

Glenwood 2011 3.jpg

Glenwood 2011 4.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/57a6ca3c9ab18_filedofdreams.jpg.746e24737fe5df0a45dfc783c5946138.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/friend23.jpg.b65f6a9c73f1ab46fbb6f15a52c47b71.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/friend24CLOSEUP.jpg.de8d9da8a2be5425efeaf75434c6e3ac.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/57a6ca3cb9d66_Glenwood20113.jpg.4c6fc8cc9feb52d86d9ea13ba061350e.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/57a6ca3cc41e8_Glenwood20114.jpg.7a5832711a531d2b87c725ad538560b2.jpg

17. 420/24/7/4/12

more;

Glenwood White Widow 1.jpg

Glenwood White Widow 2.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/57a6ca3cce2e5_GlenwoodWhiteWidow1.jpg.c59ae69344268d685b6c58aa3687dda4.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/57a6ca3cd61df_GlenwoodWhiteWidow2.jpg.96b917ff97b9319f18842ec3327bced6.jpg

18. 420/24/7/4/12

OK here are the pics;

First two pics are or the Northern Lights and one close up;

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here is the Le Fruit Defendu and one close up;

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here is the White Widow;

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here is my personal strain;

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here are some pics of the plots and buds;