Need new shit - recommendations, please!

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by greenthumbwhitethumb, Aug 15, 2017.

1. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

Howdy folks!

So after a bit of a lull for the past 6 months, I've got 15 green crack clones and a half dozen LSD clones to start up.

I'm not too embarrassed to admit that I've bought NO new equipment in 10 years (only 7-8 grows, tho, between both lights) and my shit is starting to get old and busted.

I'm looking to replace my fan, and I also need new bulbs. There's a nice hydro store a mile from my house where I can grab bulbs, and likely a fan as well, but I thought I'd see if you guys had any recommendations. I don't need them asap, so online ordering is fine with me.

I currently have two 650W HPS, and as long as HPS is still the a-ok light to do, I'll just get more bulbs. (any brand? Does it matter?)

The fan I bought is a fucking cheap POS, but it did the job. The bearing is starting to go, so it's getting loud. It also vibrates the floor a bit if you're standing overtop (it's downstairs, mounted with bungees to the ceiling). I have a variable speed plug, which I dig, but I don't know if all fans will be kosher with that. I don't need a super stealth sounding fan (if you're in my basement, you probably already know anyway....) but something that doesn't sound like a high schooler's car would be cool. I think my other one is 400 something cfm, which I think is just fine for the size space I have.

Any brands for fans that are solid? I have a bit of cash to spend, but not a ton, so a good mid-range fan would be great!

2. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I use an Active Air fan, medium priced, an a Hortilux 600 Super HPS which is about $125 per bulb. There's cheaper and there are probably better but that's what I like.

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Save some $$ and go with Ushio on the bulb. Fan is a fan. High end ones run a loooooong time. Low end fans are all pretty much the same. Some run a looooong time, some don't, luck of the draw.

4. SirStynkalot

SirStynkalot A Fat Sticky Bud

I've been using a whisperline something like 18 hours per day for the last 5 years with no problems. It's not quiet quiet but it's quieter. Little more expensive, seems to be working well for me. Can barely hear it outside the door of the room its in and the fiance doesn't like the ambient noise so it helps keep the peace.

5. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

I'm using a Panasonic Whisperline too. 6" 240CFM, basically a ducted bathroom fan. It uses a squirrel cage fan with a low speed motor and is indeed very quiet. Sounds almost like the low rumble of central air running. It blows through the carbon filter which does a nice job muffling the air noise. 3 years 24/7 and it's still sounding good.

It specifically says to not use a speed controller with the fan.

6. greenthumbwhitethumb

good to know. I gotta be able to adjust - I love up north, and it gets cold AF in the basement, hot as balls in the summer.

7. greenthumbwhitethumb

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-347-C...rd_wg=0DVYV&psc=1&refRID=Q7W5Z67X5QRPQZQ2D4ZS

fan.jpg
    What about this one?

I'm just poking around Amazon, and these other fans seem stupid cheap. It's been ages since I bought mine, but I swear it was at least a buck fiddy, and that's one of those loudass metal centrifugal ones.

What do you consider "a lot" for a fan? IMO, anything less than $200 seems reasonable, but again, it's been a long time.

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

That Vortex is a nice unit. Personally, I won't spend over $150 and prefer closer to the $100 mark for an 8" fan or smaller.

9. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Are those vortex fans quieter?