New Build...24x18x10 @ 12-16K watts (2 rooms)

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by CCrete, May 25, 2014.

1. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Before I toss up some pix..I have some wonders

Anyone know/understand what the advantages of a Mini-split AC system is compared to a window unit of the same BTU????

Ive read and read on mini splits and just cant figure it out...only thing ive come up with is a minor amount of efficiency within electricity

I need about 40-50k BTU

2. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Mini split is kinda like the LED of the HVAC world. Most efficient and most expensive. Will cost you much more up front for mini splits than window units. But you would be using the consumed power better and would be much more quiet than window units. I'd go for the mini splits if you can afford it.

3. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

i'm not sure about the a.c system, but that's gonna be a nice sized space to do your business. how big is current space?

4. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I can't answer your question but your gonna kill that space. How many tables you going to have or what systems you going to use?

5. CCrete

guna run an Ebb n Flow bucket system AND my tables I currently have, until I see what the buckets do yield wise...hopefully faze out the tables and drop the plant count in half or more within 3-5 months.

The mini split I need is like $2,200...window unit is like $430...I already have 1 window that's 18k btu, sound isnt the issue in this setup, im on a 20acre property in the middle of nowhere

im in a 10x11 right now with 4400hps

Shit is adding up quickly tho...already into this for about $17k:BangHead:

6. Annunaki

Annunaki Developed Alternating Nodes

First your looking at multiple units . 12,000 btu is a ton . Most ac units will rate by tonage. Window units are loud and inefficient. They really don't make a perfect seal as far as odor. Mini splits usually have a lot more options like dehumidifiy , scheduled times ect. You can get heat pumps too which can heat the place in winter if u want.

To install a mini split your going to need the equipment to do so. Guage , vacuum pump , maybe scale . Window unit is plug and play. Large window units are beasts. I've gone both routes. Personally I'd go mini splits. Or if not get a air handler and install forced air ac , which come in larger units. Run duCT work and evenly distribe the air.

If money is crunched get window units and upgrade when ready?

Your going to need heat in the winter too , maybe a forced air furnace with ac , done.

7. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Crazy man you were only running 4400. Shit in another 2 weeks I'll be at 4200.

I hear ya bout the cost of a build out but that $17K invested will turn into $170K real quick once you're up and running. :passsit:

If I had the cash I'd do big store-bought tents.

No idea bout the mini splits but like annunaki said go with window and upgrade later. You can always use the window units in a home or sell em on craigslist no suspicion.

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Do you need the rooms sealed? Unless I was going CO2 I'd opt for the window. Shit...if you already have forced air heat you could go with a 4 ton central AC for less than the cost of a mini-split.

9. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

Congrats on your new property man, 20 acres that's a nice spread. You gonna get some farm animals and such? I had some Boer goats that were as cool as my dogs on my property. Now I'm down to just a horse

10. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

There's a joke in there somewhere about a one-horse grower :LOL:

11. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

20 acres? ive get a 9 meter yard and three steps at the front!

12. CCrete

Built the entire garage myself with 1 good buddy and a half wit to help, took about 9 days all together, poured the floor, did all the interior framing, insulated the entire building with r-20 2inch thick foamboard n' taped off all the seams and caulked any and all points of air entry or escape, hooked up all the elec panel,meter socket and disconnect, ran the water line and buried elec conduit...all this in about 4weeks total after work....im draggin ass but its damn near 80% complete at this point..

Ive done a few big rooms for friends but never stayed around to see the final products...so that being said, im kinda flying blind on the exhaust setup and cooling aspect.....but I guess ill have to figure that out when the lights all go on, then ill know what else I have to beef up.

Im not buying that a single 40-50k BTU mini split is going to work for the entire flower room...how is 1 single unit going to cool the room from edge to edge?????? Especially coming out of the size of vent that it has. I don't see how I CANT run 2 separate units!?!?! Im sure im could be wrong and other folks do it on the regular but im just not buying it in my mind. My personel opinion is that going with a 12inch fan and running 2-8inch exhaust fans is the best way to exchange the maximum amount of air....itll help keep up the C02 to its highest volume without having to blast the room with an entire setup of C02

Those are the 2 things I haven't really wrapped my head around in this build...everything else is simple after all these years...buuuut we'll see

13. Annunaki

I don't think there is a mini split that big , you would need 2. Same for window ac. You could get central ac that big though.

14. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

central air and zone it

15. ResinRubber

Concur.

16. CCrete

That's like 3-4 Grand...I know it's the best answer but damn....and we all know once it's up n running, there is NO chances to have a legit installer make the adaption from one to the other. Other issue is...I already bought an oil furnace and 2 tanks for the heating side of things. Got a smokin deal on Craigslist

17. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

have it installed asap...biz loan from the bank you know or even most installers will do GE credit and you'll pay like $150 for a few years but you'll recoup that and you know it. like you said once up and running you can't have legit people come in so I would ensure you had more than enough cooling ability prior to starting.

I know the cash sucks....really envious right now, I'm looking for the same kinda of set up. Need more room and electric.

18. Annunaki

Well 2 mini splits are gonna run 4G also. Guess it's window units.

19. CCrete

I got the cash but good lord!

I found some property online I wanted to build a house on soon, bought a garage kit (60x40) and here we are, just gotta get the ball rolling

20. ResinRubber

Envious ain't even the word for it Nip. :passit:

You know my motto CC; If yer gonna build it, might just as well over-build it and save hassle later. Always fucks you up in the short term but I've never regretted it.