New light?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Serenity420, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Serenity420

Serenity420 Begun Flowering

Was previously using an old 400w hps to veg 4 Dwc units at a time to about 18-24inch height. In a 3x3 area.

It finally shit the bed but it performed well up until it's last day lol ....

What do you guys suggest for a replacement? T5? Hps?

I'll take any and all suggestions

2. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I wouldn't use HPS to veg with, that's designed for flowering. If you want to go high power go with a MH. But the flos work fine for me and others. The T-5 work great and have the power. T-8 work well, they don't quite have the power of the T-5 but run much cooler and are more efficient.

I use the T-5 and T-8. T-5 where heats not an issue and T-8 where it gets a little warm.

There are conversion setups where the ballast and bulb can run MH or HPS. If you want a single unit with power you may look into that option. And if you're going to work 4 DWC you may think about a 600 watt because those babies can get pretty big!! Good Luck!!!!

Be Cool, CG

3. Serenity420

Thanks creative, I'll prolly go with the t-5. I was leaning that way but just looking for feedback. I'm not really worried bout size, only vegging till 18-20 inches usually and then they get pushed over to my flower room( 3 x 1000hps).

So basically the t-5s have done the trick for you? Have you always used t-5 or have u been able to personal compare results from MH/hps ?

I just concerned about loosing yield.

P.s. I know hps is not designed for veg, but if always used hps, I have read that hps gives you slightly shorter node spacing in veg. But now I'm looking to switch , besides the 400w hps was an old one with ballast built in to hood. It was a pain in this ass.

4. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Yeah, if you've got the big K's you don't need a conversion. The MH probably will grow the veg plants a 'little' faster but for the power savings and heat reduction the flos work great.

I use the MH in the winter sometimes for the heat but never in the warmer weather. The Flos mean a few more lights to plug up but far less heat and are what I prefer.

The T-5s is probably your best overall choice. And a good reflector to put the light where you need it.

Be Cool, CG

5. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

600 hps...unless you going led

6. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I just switched to the t-5 for veg and they are great for my dwc totes and clones. I only veg two-three weeks. I was using mh but heat was kicking up to much. I was surprised by the nice growth on the t5's.

7. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

I used to use a 1000K MH to veg but the heat was also a problem for me. So I switched to all t-5 floros. Love 'em. The bigger arrays do put off a good bit of heat but nothing like the MH. And no diff in growth rate or plant structure.

Nipp hps for veg?

8. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

Ide go the t5s. It always seemed to me that floros gave me tighter nodes.

Also i thought hps made them stretch not get tighter nodes.

9. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Yoho S420. I'd go with HO (high output) T5's. A 200W 4 bulb set will put you back about $100 and do perfect for what you're planning. I've access to T8's, MH, HPS, 200w CFL's also, but the HO T5's simply do the best job for veg and maintaining moms.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014
  10. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

I think you read wrong... HPS will never give you better inter-nodal spacing. NEVER! MH and CMH will own HPS in that area. For veg, either MH, T5 or LED. Me personally, either T5 HOs or ~6500k LEDs. Fuck HID lighting for VEG, way way way way way way overrated. Mark my words, go a head time and date stamp that shit LMAO, in 10-20 years everyone will be laughing at HID growers period. That is unless HID lightening has some huge breakthrough.

11. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

lol..i meant MH. Been a long few days

I love t5s can't wait until hortilux releases theirs in a few weeks, but they do have limitations. Grant for smaller plants but once they hit about 18" you start seeing the lack of penetration.

But I am a huge fan of them and will always run them.....but I think I like Blue now :) thinking I'm going to to a two stage veg from now on

12. Serenity420

Thanks for the replies guys, I think the ho t5s sounds like a winner winner chicken dinner overall. Time to go make the purchase.. Any one recommend a good place online to buy em?

I would support my local grow store but there over priced and I just paid my mortgage lol .

P.s. My buddy's flowering out under some induction lights right now and I can tell you the results look awesome, no diff from hps from what I see except maybe a tiny bit more denser.

And .. P.s.ps. I'm currently designing a product and am just curious on how many of you guys use 5 gallon buckets for your Dwc set ups vs tote users or other Dwc containers.

13. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Ochre 5 gal Lowe's buckets

14. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod